Unlike the other Jungle Book games for NES and Genesis, in which you are forced to collect gems, the SNES version is a straight forward platformer. Notoriously hard for those who've had it as a kid, most people never made it past Kaa.
  • Emulator used: Snes9x 1.51 v6
  • Beats the game
  • Takes damage to save time
This run plays on the normal difficulty in order to make use of more damage boosts. The only difference between hard mode and normal is that Mowgli has 1 less life. The Japanese version does not have any gameplay change; the ending's words are removed in the japanese version.

Basic Info:

Jumping is faster than moving. The speed oscillates in the air in the pattern of 3434343343434343 (a real headache). Regular running is just 3.
Damage: Bananas do 2 damage. Coconuts, red fruit, and fire do 6 damage. The yellow-brown fruit does 2 damage.
Bosses: When switching between phases, there is a downtime until the hp refreshes.
   Kaa: 
       Phase 1 - 71 hp 
       Phase 2 - 51 hp 
       Phase 3 - 51 hp 
   Louie 1: 
       Phase 1 - 71 hp 
       Phase 2 - 51 hp 
   Louie 2: 
       Phase 1 - 71 hp 
       Phase 2 - 71 hp 
       Phase 3 - 71 hp 
   Shere Khan:
       Phase 1 - 71 hp 
       Phase 2 - 71 hp 

Tricks used:

PrsB: This is a damage boost trick found by prslol. As long as Mowgli is grounded, if you press b at the same time as he is damaged, you can get significant height depending on the object/monster used. All of the damage boosts only have a 1 frame window except for the first one in the 2nd stage that is only while using the mask (2 frames).
Banana Doppler: You can cancel Mowgli's attack animation by pressing a direction after firing. This allows you to attack at a much faster rate and allows for quicker boss fights. Max of 4 bananas on screen (lasts until it scrolls off screen or its hit disappears).
Fast Blocks: It is quicker to move blocks by mashing a direction rather than holding it.
Rope Jumps: The fastest method of climbing ropes is by jumping up them. This is done by pressing up, then releasing up and pressing jump.
Baloo Triggers: Not really a trick, but there are certain item patterns where if you collect them all, Baloo will come out and throw a mask to you. Masks give invulnerability for a set time.
Louie 2: Also discovered by prslol "Reverse CLC". At the end of the autoscrolling stage, by holding left, you can cause the game to continue on scrolling. If you were to press right before triggering Louie, you end up scrolling right back to the beginning of the autoscroller.

Stage-by-stage:

Stage 1 - I wouldn't have been able to figure out the setup to get that first damage boost (PrsB) without Tompa. Thanks Tompa!!
Stage 2 - Straightforward with 2 PrsB, skips about 2/3 of the stage.
Kaa Stage - The first vertical level.
Stage 3 - That vine jump might be 1 frame.
Stage 4 - Forced to run instead of jump to setup the damage boost from the snake. 2 autoscroller sections. Skipped a vine.
Waterfall - Second vertical level.
Louie 1 - PrsB and damage boost skips 40 seconds of the level.
Louie 2 - Long autoscroller. Louie is a lot harder here than in the previous level.
Stage 5 - The section with all the monkeys and bees glitched out part of the screen. I think it has to do with too many sprites being loaded.
Stage 6 - Precise jumps and 2 PrsB.
Shere Khan - Didn't damage boost through the boulders to abuse invincibility frames while killing Shere Khan.
Frames: (when start was pressed)
  • 1 - 1279
  • 2 - 3997
  • kaa - 6461
  • 3 - 10831
  • 4 - 13875
  • waterfall - 21122
  • louie 1 - 26153
  • louie 2 - 29271
  • 5 - 49128
  • 6 - 51872
  • shere khan - 55064
  • last input - 59331
RAM Watch: 7E0698 x-position 7E137A y-position 7E070A speed 7E077C boss hp

Things that could be improved: The only major way to gain time would be a different route through the stages. Rope handling and bosses might be able to be improved as well, frame-wise. It might be possible to skip pushing the block in the stage 3 (village). I -think- it's possible, but could never manage to figure it out.
Thank you #dkc!!!!!! Shoutouts to DBJ for being the first person I know to beat Kaa, and Klosty for the first person I knew to single segment this game.

feos: Accepting to Moons and publishing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4111: Newpants87's SNES Disney's The Jungle Book in 16:27.54
All around seems to be a nice run. I particularly liked the antics during the autoscrolling segments. Really kept my interest going during what can be a tedious part of any TAS. Too bad you can't speed up the tally screens, though. That was the only downside of the run for me. With how fast you got through some of the levels, the tally screens seemed to take up an awfully large part of the run. As a side note, I noticed they had a shout-out to MST3K in the credits. I wonder just how many games have shout-outs to them somewhere inside...
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
I don't find this run particularly entertaining. The autoscroller that is almost 5 minutes long (8:10-13:00) breaks the pace of this TAS. I found myself thinking that it would eventually end, but it would keep on going. The rest of the game doesn't really stand out or anything, unfortunately. The Genesis version I feel is most entertaining; this one is more on par with the NES version. I also think that the temp encode is very low-quality even for a temp encode, and it should have been encoded at a higher rate.
Expert player (2582)
I like it, so here goes another yes vote to your run, Newpants87. My suggestion if you’re going to watch it on the emulator; use the Super Eagle’s filter - it’s beautiful this way. Off topic: the name Shere Kan made me laughs for some stupid reason...
I am old enough to know better, but not enough to do it.
Yeah, i know why. Hehehe...
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I liked this. The autoscroller in Louie 2 is a letdown, but the rest of the action is fluid, the boss fights look difficult and entertaining, and there are plenty of precise maneuvers. I loved seeing the massive abuse of damage boosts for high bounces. This may make this my favorite of the Jungle Book runs. Yes vote.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2485] SNES Disney's The Jungle Book by Newpants87 in 16:27.54
Hi! I've been casually speedrunning SNES Jungle Book on and off for a while, so it was really cool to see someone do a TAS of it :) There are actually some levels that can be improved, though: Kaa stage: At the start, you can use the monkey to boost yourself up, avoiding the part where you have to bounce on the branch for like three times (http://youtu.be/Y5L5_mmBv-0) Louie 1: Not sure whether this is actually faster, but I took an entirely different route (http://youtu.be/D-Cxp9y_thg) (Don't judge the route by the time I got here, these are just videos I did to document my routes and they are obviousy far from optimized) Level 5: If you keep spamming bananas while falling your fall speed wont slow down Level 6: This level can actually be done a lot faster (http://youtu.be/GWgwvdEoxhY) Shere Khan: Don't have a video of this but at the very end you can jump directly onto the boss platform from the tree (instead of jumping up to the little clouds)[/url]
Player (67)
I'm glad there are other people interested in speedrunning this. I had started this TAS in the interest of also speedrunning it. But dang! Those routes are really good. Your Louie 1 is much better for playing in real time; I'm happy about that. I'm now rather curious about your other routes in the other levels. I'll be redoing the TAS sometime.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
Haha, special thanks to Joel, Mike, Tom, Crow, Gypsy, Frank and Clayton? I had a good WTF moment when that showed up.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Have never played the game before, but I'm kinda surprised at how virtually everything in the game is predictable. I mean everything has a Tell, be it audio or visual and you even have 4 life (Is that 4 hits and then 5th hit is death, or 3 hits then 4th hit is death?). Anyways, I watched it on Youtube and perhaps the 30FPS didn't help with this issue... but you looked like a hyperactive player which was kinda annoying. You couldn't just relax at all in the game and always had to be doing SOMETHING and I don't recall seeing you doing anything particularly interesting when you have to wait for something, either. Anyways, I vote meh as you did seemingly beat the game pretty fast and have a good understanding of the gameplay, mechanics and game logic.
Ryzen 3700X, ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi) Motherboard, 32GB 3600MHz RAM, MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB, Windows 10 Pro x64 http://tasvideos.org/Nach/FranpaAlert.html