Submission Text Full Submission Page
Super Mario Advance 2 is the GBA port of Super Mario World. The gameplay and levels are almost the same, with some minor differences.

Game Objectives

• Aims for fastest time
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Abuses programming errors

Level by level comments (with number of saved frames in parentheses)

Yi2(0)

No change

Yi3(0)

No change

Yi4(11)

Optimized the shell jump.

Iggy(25)

Saved 14 frames through minor optimizations.

Dp1(25)

No change

Ds1(54)

Saved 29 frames by getting the red shell faster, avoiding a fish, and optimizing the end.

Dsh(161)

Clipping through the stairs and flying in the second room (instead of running) saved 107 frames.

SW1(171)

Going down the third column of turn blocks saves 10 frames.

SW2(181)

Optimized the end by swimming down with the key.

SW3(183)

Saved 2 frames by using a different strategy to get the key.

SW4(211)

Started flying earlier, optimized getting the shell, and optimized getting the key.

Front Door (215)

Saved 4 frames through minor optimizations and corner boosts.

Bowser (250)

Hitting the Mecha-Koopas when they are lower to the ground is faster and saves a lot of time.

Addresses

03003FA9 - x speed
03003FAD - y speed
03003FD0 - x position
03003FD4 - y position

Suggested Screenshots

17940, 23695

feos: Judging...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Last One. For the uninformed. I'll vote in a bit after watching it. Edit: So why wasn't THIS DONE? (Yes 2 different links) Edit 2: Here's an encode with values being shown (Values given within submission). Link to video I disagree with your choice on Y Pos btw.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Thanks for the encode with the RAM values overlaid, Spikestuff. Nice run, gbreeze! And nice improvements. Voting Yes.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Um... Link to video Just in mention of loading screens and stuff (First 5 seconds). Is there a true difference between the Jap and the E/U version or is this just due to an old version of vba?
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Editor, Skilled player (1505)
Nice improvement, voted yes. Spikystuffy, Speed values are signed bytes, you get a minus sign then, not an underflow.
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
Spikestuff
They/Them
TASeditor wrote:
Spikystuffy, Speed values are signed bytes, you get a minus sign then, not an underflow.
Meh. Also Meh for what I choose.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Sir_VG
He/Him
Player (39)
Does the SMW Bowser strat of keeping one of the toys into the 2nd phase not work in the GBA version? Or is it slower? Or did you just forget about it?
Taking over the world, one game at a time. Currently TASing: Nothing
Player (172)
I don't know much about the smw/sma2 difference, but I have a few questions. 1. Could you explain why did you avoid the strategies which had been used in the snes run? Namely, (a) the bowser fight, (b) the sw3 strat, (c) the passing-through-stair trick in dsh, and (d) jumping at the very beginning of the second room in ds1. I can find no reason why they are impossible or slower. 2. In c1, it looks like mario jumps lower than he can at the place where, in smw, we usually use the p-switch to avoid the lava pool. I can guess it's because you took care on the koopa above; then why don't you use spinjump instead? 3. fd. In room 2, wouldn't it be faster to take damage to get p-run? 4. sw4. Why did you slow down when grabbing a shell? 5. sw1. ISM pointed out that it's possible to perform a smashola-like downward zipping. You can stop spinjumping by catching the wall.
Retired because of that deletion event. Projects (WIP RIP): VIP3 all-exits "almost capeless yoshiless", VIP2 all-exits, TSRP2 "normal run"
Masterjun
He/Him
Site Developer, Skilled player (1970)
While watching I also noticed a few things that Mister pointed out already, the sound is horrible, I also wasn't entertained by the Big Boo fight either. Voting No.
Warning: Might glitch to credits I will finish this ACE soon as possible (or will I?)
Experienced player (703)
No vote, I'm currently improving this run.
Current: Rayman 3 maybe? idk xD Paused: N64 Rayman 2 (with Funnyhair) GBA SMA 4 : E Reader (With TehSeven) TASVideos is like a quicksand, you get in, but you cannot quit the sand
Player (121)
Mister wrote:
Post.
1. Bowser fight: I thought that the new strat wasn't possible in SMA2, but I recently realized it was after submitting. SW3: Every time I tried to throw the p-switch to get the block, Mario wasn't high enough. I could keep trying though. Also, in SMA2, you have to wait a few frames to be able to grab the key, unlike the snes version. DSH: I'm confused.. I did clip through the stairs. If you're talking about why it is slower, than it's because you need to have 51 speed in order to clip the stairs. The qualifications are tighter in SMA2, whereas in the snes version it is extremely easy. 2. I'm confused by what you mean, but I feel like that part is improvable as well. I may experiment with jumping off the p-switch and spinjumping off the podoboo. 3. I think it may be, but I'd have to experiment. It may be faster to get a feather in Sw4 and use the reserve feather to fight bowser. In that case, I couldn't take damage in room 2. 4. In SMA2, there is only one button for flying, so you only have a few frames to be able to spin the cape while flying (only in a rise). I had to slow down there, but I may be able to avoid slowing down using a different strat. 5. Oh, I didn't know that! I'll have to use that. Thanks for your input! I may have no choice but to restart this run from Ds1... EDIT: Redoing, just saved some frames in yi4..
Masterjun
He/Him
gbreeze wrote:
4. In SMA2, there is only one button for flying, so you only have a few frames to be able to spin the cape while flying (only in a rise). I had to slow down there, but I may be able to avoid slowing down using a different strat.
At least it can be done faster
Warning: Might glitch to credits I will finish this ACE soon as possible (or will I?)
Experienced player (703)
gbreeze wrote:
Mister wrote:
Post.
1. Bowser fight: I thought that the new strat wasn't possible in SMA2, but I recently realized it was after submitting. SW3: Every time I tried to throw the p-switch to get the block, Mario wasn't high enough. I could keep trying though. Also, in SMA2, you have to wait a few frames to be able to grab the key, unlike the snes version. DSH: I'm confused.. I did clip through the stairs. If you're talking about why it is slower, than it's because you need to have 51 speed in order to clip the stairs. The qualifications are tighter in SMA2, whereas in the snes version it is extremely easy. 2. I'm confused by what you mean, but I feel like that part is improvable as well. I may experiment with jumping off the p-switch and spinjumping off the podoboo. 3. I think it may be, but I'd have to experiment. It may be faster to get a feather in Sw4 and use the reserve feather to fight bowser. In that case, I couldn't take damage in room 2. 4. In SMA2, there is only one button for flying, so you only have a few frames to be able to spin the cape while flying (only in a rise). I had to slow down there, but I may be able to avoid slowing down using a different strat. 5. Oh, I didn't know that! I'll have to use that. Thanks for your input! I may have no choice but to restart this run from Ds1...
I'm improving your run :p (I should submit it in TASVideos in some days) EDIt: Finally, I'll wait improvements, then see if I can improve.
Current: Rayman 3 maybe? idk xD Paused: N64 Rayman 2 (with Funnyhair) GBA SMA 4 : E Reader (With TehSeven) TASVideos is like a quicksand, you get in, but you cannot quit the sand
Player (172)
gbreeze wrote:
DSH: I'm confused.. I did clip through the stairs. If you're talking about why it is slower, than it's because you need to have 51 speed in order to clip the stairs. The qualifications are tighter in SMA2, whereas in the snes version it is extremely easy.
What I wanted to ask is whether the "sliding-through-stairs" trick is possible in sma2, which is exactly what was used in the most recent dsh strategy. It's essentially the same as the flying-trough one but has much tighter qualification. You may have to examine it after simulating what movement is ideal.
gbreeze wrote:
2. I'm confused by what you mean, but I feel like that part is improvable as well. I may experiment with jumping off the p-switch and spinjumping off the podoboo.
In the sixth jump, you're too far from the ceiling, which means that you grabbed the fence a little earlier. To prevent that, you could have simply jumped higher, but you must have stopped from doing so by the enemy above. My point is to spinjump there instead so as to manage a jump with small initial y-velocity. In that case, you will have to be small mario.
Retired because of that deletion event. Projects (WIP RIP): VIP3 all-exits "almost capeless yoshiless", VIP2 all-exits, TSRP2 "normal run"
Player (121)
Mister wrote:
gbreeze wrote:
DSH: I'm confused.. I did clip through the stairs. If you're talking about why it is slower, than it's because you need to have 51 speed in order to clip the stairs. The qualifications are tighter in SMA2, whereas in the snes version it is extremely easy.
What I wanted to ask is whether the "sliding-through-stairs" trick is possible in sma2, which is exactly what was used in the most recent dsh strategy. It's essentially the same as the flying-trough one but has much tighter qualification. You may have to examine it after simulating what movement is ideal.
gbreeze wrote:
2. I'm confused by what you mean, but I feel like that part is improvable as well. I may experiment with jumping off the p-switch and spinjumping off the podoboo.
In the sixth jump, you're too far from the ceiling, which means that you grabbed the fence a little earlier. To prevent that, you could have simply jumped higher, but you must have stopped from doing so by the enemy above. My point is to spinjump there instead so as to manage a jump with small initial y-velocity. In that case, you will have to be small mario.
Oh, I see what you're saying now! I'll definitely have to look into that. Dsh was really un-optimized. Yeah, the enemy did stop me, but I just tried a different strategy where I drop the p-switch, spinjump off it, and spinjump off the podoboo. It only saved 3 frames though. Edit: Somehow I saved a frame in the auto scroll portion. I just used the snes any% method of getting a cape in dp1 to save some time too.
Player (172)
Mister wrote:
1. Could you explain why did you avoid the strategies which had been used in the snes run? Namely, (a) the bowser fight, (b) the sw3 strat, (c) the passing-through-stair trick in dsh, and (d) jumping at the very beginning of the second room in ds1.
I just noticed you'd missed (d). That would enable you to take off slightly farther from the question block, and you would lose less amount of speed. Good luck!
Player (121)
Mister wrote:
Mister wrote:
1. Could you explain why did you avoid the strategies which had been used in the snes run? Namely, (a) the bowser fight, (b) the sw3 strat, (c) the passing-through-stair trick in dsh, and (d) jumping at the very beginning of the second room in ds1.
I just noticed you'd missed (d). That would enable you to take off slightly farther from the question block, and you would lose less amount of speed. Good luck!
So I just finished the new run, do I cancel this one and submit the new one? It's completely different (except for the first two levels).
Masterjun
He/Him
yes, go ahead and resubmit, since it's not only a small change :D edit: -.-
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
If it's still only yours, post the WIP and I'll update the submission.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Player (121)
Or can I just resubmit? I'd have to do new level comments on every level, since frames were saved on every level. And yes, it's still only mine. It's almost like an entirely different run (250 frames were saved over my last run).
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Actually do whatever you'd like better, updating submission files is just to simplify the routine.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... juicy!