Submission Text Full Submission Page
Cheetahmen II. Completed in 2:25 using FCEU. 8678 frames. 1197 undoes.
The game's still a piece of garbage.
Yep, that's right. Cheetahmen II is the worst game ever made. Poor design, inane presentation, and a glitch that prevents total completion. There was a good bit of megalonia behind it as well: The Cheetahmen were supposed to make kids say, "Teenage Mutant Ninja who?!" Thankfully, that never happened.
This run was done in the same spirit as Dan_'s Dark Castle run: bad game done fast. Both runs are around the same time as well.
So without further ado, let's get to the explanations, shall we?
Glitches:
-There are many, many glitches in this game. Unfortunately, not many of them are useful in a speed run and would only slow me down. The two I used are as follows:
--There are collision problems in this game. I'm not certain what triggers them (they seem to be connected to recent enemy deaths) but on several occasions I walk straight through an enemy without getting hit. This glitch doesn't seem to apply to the first level however.
--Hercules (and the ordinarily inaccessable Aries) can jump indefinately by jumping after attacking in midair. I use this on certain occassions.
--This game cannot be completed. Once the Ape Man is defeated (or if you let him wander off the screen), you are doomed to wander around the screen, doing glitch jump for the rest of eternity. Or at least until you've had it with this trash and pop in something more worthy for your NES, such as Ninja Gaiden. Because of this glitch, I only complete four of the six levels.
Damage:
-Damage is taken if dodging slows me down. I try to conserve as much health as possible on the boss stages because them damaging you damages them as well. The damage dealt by this seems inconsistent at best, but it speeds up the Ape Man battle incredibly.
Other:
-I aim to get as many points as possible, as long as it doesn't slow me down. I got a final score of 26700 in this run.
-Once you get familiar with how the game handles, it becomes apparent that the first level runs on a slightly different engine from the rest of the game. Speaks volumes about the programming, doesn't it?
-The three pauses I make in the first level are done for good reason. The first and third are done so I don't bump into the steps as I jump up them. The second, a few frames before the third, is to allow me to land on that block and prevent a silly looking "death from high places".
-A hack is available to access the last two levels. It is also possible to access them on a console by turning the system on and off. You have to be lucky, though.
-This game was never officially released. The cartridge manufacturer was sitting on a pile of these for a few years before he decided to sell them to some independent stores. The ROM was leaked soon after.
This was a really fun run to do. It was quick and simple to make, and I got to trash a trash game :). I also believe this game gets to be to first unlicensed game featured on this site, if published :P.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #450: Ferret Warlord's NES Cheetahmen II in 02:24.63
Ambassador, Experienced player (696)
Looks like I had the extreme privilege of voting yes first! Gladly, I've never heard of this game before, but the opening sequence (which simply has to be seen) explains things pretty well (with some good pictures): Doctor Morbis is back with a new sub human! He wants to stop the cheetahmen from ruining his evil plans! He creates the ape man. The strongest sub human yet! Doctor Morbis plans to use the ape man to destroy his failed expirement...Aries! Apollo! and Hercules! You must help the cheetahmen fight Doctor Morbis and his evil team of mutants. Stop Doctor Morbis before its to late for the cheetahmen. You can not let him destroy the cheetahmen. During the game you will have three cheetahmen... A different one in every second level to fight for you......
This...is not very good. The game, not the run. Come to think of it, while the run is well done and very fast, I don't think it should be published because of the lack of a proper ending; while technically with the glitch in place, you have literally reached the end of the game, you have not stopped at the last possible moment for player input (even if it is pointless to do so). Don't get me wrong, the work is excellent--but the circumstances...are not. A reluctant "no", from me.
I agree with Viewer myself here. The run's good, no doubt about that, but the primary purpose of the site is to have enjoyable videos, and, well... this game just isn't.
Skilled player (1636)
Emphatic YES! after the discussion about this, I tried it. I don't think it is the WORST game ever, but damn close. It is clunky, irritating, and retarded. One thing, is NES hard reset able to be recorded? perhaps you could manipulate luck to allow you to play the final two levels. Then this video would be worth it, plus more. The intro reads.... like William Shatner on... cocaine...
Sage advice from a friend of Jim: So put your tinfoil hat back in the closet, open your eyes to the truth, and realize that the government is in fact causing austismal cancer with it's 9/11 fluoride vaccinations of your water supply.
Skilled player (1404)
I am going to be cancelling this. I have managed to discover that punching and jumping seems to cut two frames off the punching animation, so I'll use that where practical. I can also take two more hits in level 4 and take down the Ape Man with less damage taken in the same time. I'm also taking Viewer's suggestion of ending it earlier, but I'll ensure it can't be interupted by viewer input. I'll end up with a lower score, but it'll be about a second faster. Yes, I have attempted the hard reset on the emulator. It didn't work, and I'm not certain how it would. There is no way I can access the last two levels without breaking the rules of this site.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.