(Link to video)

Game information

Tobal 2 is a 3D fighting game developed by Dream Factory and released by Square in Japan in 1997, and character design by Akira Toriyama. It is the sequel to Tobal No. 1. Unlike the latter, Tobal 2 was not released in North America or PAL territories. About 200 characters including the enemy caught in the quest mode can be used.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: PSXjin v2.0.2 svn0
  • Abuses programming errors
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Uses Warp
  • Manipulates luck
  • Quest Mode
  • Genre: Fighting

Game system

There are four game modes of the "Tournament" "VS" "Training" "Quest" to this game. "The quest" is the mode which captures dungeon while getting foods and potion and stone from an enemy. The parts of the body which they used for the battle grow, and they are strengthened with potion and stone. The food eaten at the time of a full stomach serves as defensive exp. The stone is compounded by colliding and potion changes a color by colliding.

Dungeons

Practice Dungeon (5 FLOOR)

The enemy here says "Die", after explaining a game system carefully.

Pyramid (8 FLOOR)

It enters, after getting entrance permission from an archaeologist. A blue random battle symbol occurs from here. A demon king Mark waits in a deepest floor of the dungeon.

Desert Spaceship (5 FLOOR)

If the soldier of a castle takes down a bridge, you can go here. Unless it beats all robots, it cannot get down to the following floor. Moreover, a robot does not drop food.

Molmoran Mine 1 (5 FLOOR)

The key of the 1st mine is got from the old man who is in a desert. The dungeon boss transforms to your character.

Key's Dungeon

This is only a dungeon which takes a key, and even if it beats an enemy, neither an item nor exp is obtained.

Molmoran Mine 2 (7 FLOOR)

You cannot go on, unless you beat all enemies in the first floor.

Labyrinth of the seal (12 FLOOR)

Wivern and Mark and Mark 2 wait in the deepest floor.

Final Dungeon (37 FLOOR)

The longest dungeon so far included altogether. When entering here, all the items and status are reset.

Tricks and Glitches

Hyper-Potion

If hyper-potion is taken, it will become possible to cancel the delay of various attacks. Since it is high although it may be sold at 100 mol in the store, it compounds and builds the cheapest potion. I manipulated luck for potions color on the screen of character select and the lineup of items is manipulated just before going into a store. The efficacy emerges when potion collides to a person.

Wall Through and Floor Through Glitch

If the first attack of the rising combo of Fei in the hyper-mode is canceled by dash, the next jump will become high strangely. When it lands in this state, he leaps slightly forward. Moreover, if the greatest jump is carried out toward a floor lower than an onset point, he will penetrate the ground.

Castle of the underground

Usually, the area which cannot invade if many dungeons are not captured was hidden underground. Although I discovered it by chance, it was a quite narrow secret passage.

Capture stone

You can catch it, if a capture stone is thrown at the enemy to whom the life became destitute. And if the stone of a life is equipped, all the lives will be poured into a stone and automatic revival capability will be given to it. Since Mark drops two random stones, it is used for Mark2. Incidentally Ohma does not drop except recovery potion.

High-speed repetition fall

I used falling damage to reduce the life of an obstinate enemy quickly. Damage efficiency is maximized by bounding with the falling damage and mixing a raising attack. It is a reason having continued being buried with the floor.

Comment

I lag behind a little at the time of 0:48, 1:42, and 2:25 for luck manipulations.

feos: Accepting to Moons and publishing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4180: pirohiko's PSX Tobal 2 "Quest Mode" in 03:41.17
Editor, Skilled player (1938)
This TAS is weird. But I like it. I actually thought it was a random dungeon crawler at first. It reminds me almost of [2315] PSX Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring "Quest Mode" by sparky in 03:51.77, except that falling through floors seems to be a glitch and not luck manipulation gone mad. The final fights are funny as well. pirohiko's nicovideo encode (this was from a year ago): Link to video
Skilled player (1705)
Wait, if this is the fastest, then the "glitch" shouldn't be included as a branch. Anyways, yes vote. Given how there's 79 floors in total and the character's somewhat slow pacing, this is probably preferable than a "glitchless" version.
Patashu
He/Him
A work of art - a case study in terribly programmed mechanics, massive sequence breaks and hilarious boss kills. Yes vote. The TAS description is good, but doesn't actually include the route/a chronological sequence of events. So I took some notes while watching.
So, this is a fighting game, and also a dungeon crawler. Tobal 1 was internationalized but 2 was only released in Japan. You can pick a bunch of characters, but we only pick the one that goes fast. Now for the most important part of the run - shopping. This game has roguelike-style potions, and luck manipulation was used. We want hyper potions but they're expensive, so we buy two cheaper potions and mix them by throwing them at each other. Now you can cancel a rising kick with a dash and do a moonjump that says 'screw you' to collision detection. We're not meant to be in this dungeon yet, but here we are. Actually, we don't want to do this dungeon, so let's moonjump to a different one. If you moonjump to a lower elevation, you're falling so fast you clip through floors. We're in a hurry. Now for a boss fight. Mark drops a capture stone which we use to capture Mark 2. (Did I mention this game is also pokemon?) By the way. we skipped the first six dungeons of the game. Now that we've done the second last dungeon of the game, we can access the last dungeon of the game. And beat up a frog. Clip to the bottom floor of the final dungeon... Now for a final boss fight.
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
MESHUGGAH
Other
Skilled player (1888)
Floor 1.... 2..... 3, 4, 5 6 78910111213~~-*/-;>~ˇ˘;~>37 yes vote
PhD in TASing 🎓 speedrun enthusiast ❤🚷🔥 white hat hacker ▓ black box tester ░ censorships and rules...
Yes vote for crabwalk of death in the final fights.
My user name is rather long, feel free to call me by htwt or tape.
xRavenXP
He/Him
Good glitch samples in this video. Vote yes!
I love games and love to record videos (longplays). Visit my Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/xRavenXP
Editor, Experienced player (608)
I love this. It had me laughing at walking and jumping around out of bounds and whatever move that was that brought down the final boss. Yes vote for both its technical quality and because it was entertaining.
Active player (306)
Looks like Fei is a crazy old guy just playing around with the game's world :D It almost looks like he's a robber when shopping "legally". Laws of gravity are only relevant when they're useful. Pausing the game to throw Mark off guard... Mark 2 added to pokédex. Time to dance! Let's beat up that frog that didn't ask for anything and then dig through more than 30 floors. Finally pretend to be a magicarp and use splash on the last bosses just to troll them, it's super effective! Why is my hand burning?
Personman
Other
This is weird as hell and I love it. Great to see a new run from you pirohiko! I'm a big fan :)
A warb degombs the brangy. Your gitch zanks and leils the warb.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
pirohiko always make great TASes. This was a very odd game with some very interesting glitches. Entertaining. Yes vote.
Editor, Experienced player (894)
A bizarre, glitchy game. Nice work, voted yes.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Now lets go through this real slowly.... S̸̳̬̣̤̯̣͕ͪ̔͊ͬ̆K̥̗̯ͭ̄Ï̵̸͕͔͔̟͚̮͖̺ͬͩ͂ͫͬͦ͠P̜͓͖̟̼̃̍̑͐̀ͅ ̡̟͍̼͈̫̲̱̹̈ͦͥE̜̝̞̩͐ͩ͜V̸̹͓̫ͦ̏̓̈́̚͢ͅĔ̡̯̦͔̞͚̤̫ͬ̈́͊͆͠Ṛ̬͚̤͓̃̈͊͋Yͦ̏ͮ͏͓̘̫͔̯͉̖̭͝T̻̱̪̤̗̬̅ͮͤ͐̌H̭̗̗͍̬̰ͨ̇̽̃̋ͣ̏̒Ì̡͎̹ͬ͡N̵͓͓̭̱͇̰͈ͪͯ̇́Ģ̤͙̹ͩ́͟!̸̡͎̠̰͔͙͔ͦ̋̔̅̋ͮ̉͟ Right as I thought... game got rekt. Yes Vote. Entertaining and Busted.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Editor
I have absolutely no idea what I just witnessed. That is a good thing.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2524] PSX Tobal 2 "Quest Mode" by pirohiko in 03:41.17