• Emulator used: FCEUX 2.20.0
  • Heavy glitch abuse
  • Luck manipulation
  • Uses a game restart sequence
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Uses deaths to save time

Comments

About this run

The original goal of my project was to optimize the old route. I ended up saving 8 frames by heavy optimization, then Inzult reminded me of a time saver, of which I watched a video but forgot it when I worked on the run, in the island maze which saved 89 frames addionally. Even with zero encounters on the swamp this run would only be ~180 frames faster than the current published movie. This run however is 389 frames faster, cause of a new route of which previously was thought to be slower. Inzult did some testing and found out this route is faster, so I redid all of my work and now here it is.

Glitches used in this run

Speed glitch
Whenever left+right is pressed simultaneously, Links top speed will break and is set to 127 or -128, depending on the direction Link travels. In case the value overflows/underflows Link will quickly change his direction of movement.
Healer glitch
The healer lady has a timer which counts down to zero, when she moves towards the entrance of the house. When Link talks to her one frame before she goes inside the house and the timer reaches zero, she will change her direction and goes into a wrong entrance. Then Link can then go into the healer house which sends him to a wrong location called Glitch Town.
Screen lock
The screen can be locked when Link enters the first house of Glitch Town several time. This sets wrong exits of screens and made it possible to literally warp around from one side to the other side of Hyrule.
Fairy glitch
Using the fairy spell when Link is on a ceiling, he will fall down to the screen below.
Wall climbing
The speed glitch is requires to go inside a wall. Doing this repetivly while jumping Link can get to places normally unreachable for him.
Split Link
After left+right is pressed at the same time, not left or right afterwards, the animation when Link does an attack will have a funny side effect. Normally it is not the case that left+right is pressed and then nothing, to actually press this button combination it is required to press down on the same frame too. It is also used to change the facing direction of Link. This glitch only moves his sprite not his hixbox and therefore is only used for entertainment.

Route comments

Getting the hammer

On the first segment until the first restart sequence, Link travels straight to the hammer. The screen scroll glitch can't be applied now, because Link will fall into a pit in the beginning of a cave and dies.

Getting the fairy spell

The battle is needed to get the fairy spell.

To Great Palace

Same as the old route, but this route includes getting a magic bottle.

Great Palace

The fairy glitch is used to skip the gloves and downward stab.

Other comments

Thanks

• Inzult: For his old glitched run, useful tips and his work on the new route.

Noxxa: Judging.
Noxxa: Nice new route. Accepting as an improvement to the current publication.
Ilari: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4219: TASeditor's NES Zelda II: The Adventure of Link in 05:36.43
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
:O That's is all Yes vote, improvement. And the "Black Sheep" is always entertaining
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Active player (432)
Very nice work my man. You are proving to be quite a TASer. Easy yes vote and I hope you keep bringing these lovely runs in the future.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
No vote because wrong title, this should be Castlevania. Yes vote This vote was given when I am at the half way of this run. After watching this run, I feel like this is nothing about resemblance, this is a Castlevania run.
Player (26)
I have no idea what's going on in this run any more :D ...which means Yes vote.
Why don't you use the same path to get the Hammer as you do to teleport to Maze Island? They both take you to the end of Mount Doom, and it seems like the former path is faster than the latter one.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Editor, Skilled player (1504)
Derakon wrote:
Why don't you use the same path to get the Hammer as you do to teleport to Maze Island? They both take you to the end of Mount Doom, and it seems like the former path is faster than the latter one.
I need the hammer to break a block in front of the cave where the red bottle is, the red bottle then is used to get fairy spell.
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
TASeditor: I'm not sure you quite answered Derakon's question completely. You don't actually use the hammer to take that second route to the hammer area. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying that the second route is only worthwhile as long as you also visit the red bottle cave. Anyway, great job with this! The death abuse to replenish magic was wholly unexpected. Yes vote.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Active player (422)
Derakon wrote:
The path through the front door of death mountain requires the full 6-door scroll lock healer glitch, and warping to bagu's hut from Mido to set up. All things being equal going through the front door for both trips would probably(?) be faster, but with the extra setup, taking the hammer this way is overall better. It takes ~56s from the start of Rauru town through to the up&a restart at the hammer. It takes ~60s from the start of Rauru town through to the start of the main hammer cave using scroll lock. Also, yes vote.
Having played this game and knowing how much I hate it, can't give it less than a YES a big YES. some of those glitch make me go wtf am I watching.
Experienced player (703)
You finally dit it. Big yes. =)
Current: Rayman 3 maybe? idk xD Paused: N64 Rayman 2 (with Funnyhair) GBA SMA 4 : E Reader (With TehSeven) TASVideos is like a quicksand, you get in, but you cannot quit the sand
Editor, Skilled player (1504)
mklip2001 wrote:
You don't actually use the hammer to take that second route to the hammer area. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying that the second route is only worthwhile as long as you also visit the red bottle cave.
I used the hammer to get into the cave in the swamp where the red bottle is (Don't mix it up with the magic bottle). Then I used the hammer to break another rock next to the hammer cave.
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
Glitcher
He/Him
Looks pretty tight. It's always nice to see improvements to big name series like this.
Ford
He/Him
I like how this run bears no resemblance to the game proper. Seriously. It's always a pleasure to watch a game just completely unravel.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Very nice run. I love the totally glitched-out new route. Yes vote!
Patashu
He/Him
What are the two deaths for?
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Patashu wrote:
What are the two deaths for?
To refill the character's magic meter. At his level, he can only cast Fairy once without refills, and Fairy is needed to do that ceiling glitch. That's how he avoids picking up the Glove to break blocks.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
NhatNM
He/Him
Experienced player (705)
why why none vote No? :D I vote Yes >.<
A man come from Vietnam My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/NhatNM/playlists
Editor, Player (68)
I meant to verify this as soon as it was submitted, but I've been busy being overworked and puking. Once I get done puking again I'll see if I feel well enough to run this one. (Note: I couldn't get previous Zelda II runs to sync. Not sure if this one will be any different.)
true on twitch - lsnes windows builds 20230425 - the date this site is buried
Editor, Player (68)
Doesn't sync on my console. The enemy at 3972 gets killed, Link goes to a little to the left, save+reset, and syncs up until the rock (because the rock crusher part wasn't picked up). Tried every variant I can think of, but this is deterministic - I get deterministic desyncs with prior runs too. Others got prior runs to sync on Zelda II so I don't know what is different. I cracked open the case and it has NES-AL-0 PRG mask rom, 1mbit 28-pin. Unless a bit in the ROM is bad, or some SRAM other than what is in the save is being used somewhere...
Active player (422)
true, i know dwango got my old run to sync on my cart, and the one i had on hand is a late release. as far as i know, there are no rom revisions on this game, even though there were plenty of production runs. is it possible that your console has lag in a spot where another console might not? is that even a thing?
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2557] NES Zelda II: The Adventure of Link "warp glitch" by TASeditor in 05:36.43
Patashu
He/Him
Is it an uninitialized RAM read issue?
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Editor, Player (68)
Doubtful it is uninit RAM - they were able to re-run IIRC - but it could be dirty SRAM and a bug / old feature accessing something there, could be an issue with my mask ROM, or who the hell knows. I am still borrowing an NES...keeping a lookout for a deal on another NES and whatever games I can get. Until I get at least another Zelda cart I am stuck on this game.