A TAS of Tengen Tetris that goes for 30 lines in the fastest time. This run does it in under 30 seconds. I achieve this by warping to level 17 with a code. The pieces can be rotated while being moved or dropped. A code which replaces the current piece is never used. This is rather interesting to see after seeing the other Tetris TASes.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: FCEUX 2.2.2
  • Aims for 30 lines in the fastest time
  • Uses a level select code to begin at hardest level
  • Does not use the Konami code for the I piece
  • Uses little luck manipulation mainly for the board setup

Comments

This is the version of Tetris released by Atari. It is the puzzle game everyone loves. There is no need for an introduction. I use two controllers to go through the menu. It is faster than using just one. I use the level select code for the highest level possible. I do not use the Konami code for a shortcut 'cause that would be cheating. I aim for 30 lines in the fastest time possible. It takes less than a second for the board to be set up. The handicap is set to 12 lines high to ensure the fastest time.

Stage by stage comments

I used the level select code (Pause Up Down Up Down Left Right B B A*n) to skip to Level 17. I cannot use the Konami code 'cause that would be cheating. I play this legitimately by relying on what piece is next. It is completed very fast.

Other comments

This game is a hidden gem. It would be more interesting to do a co-op run There can be a little room for improvement, but I think this is fast enough as it is. Correct me if I'm wrong. Suggested screenshots: 876, 1246, 1410, 1508

Noxxa: Judging.
Noxxa: Votes are slightly indecisive, but Tetris seems generally good enough for Moons material. A short run of a Tetris game known for generally being regarded the best Tetris game on NES also be a decent bet in my mind. Accepting for Moons.
Ilari: Processing

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4272: PikachuMan's NES Tengen Tetris "30 lines" in 00:29.09
Guga
He/Him
I achieve this by warping to level 17 with a code.
Eh? Isn't that what is called password, which is, by the way, not allowed unless there is a really good reason behing it? EDIT: Nevermind, I'm a complete moron.
Patashu
He/Him
Guga wrote:
I achieve this by warping to level 17 with a code.
Eh? Isn't that what is called password, which is, by the way, not allowed unless there is a really good reason behing it? EDIT: Nevermind, I'm a complete moron.
I think it's the equivalent of 'plays on hardest difficulty'.
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Skilled player (1706)
Can you please elaborate the "30 lines" goal for those who've never played the game? :o
MarbleousDave
He/Him
Player (12)
Level up and bonus every 30 lines up to 150, and every 50 lines after 150. The pieces cannot be manipulated like in Nintendo Tetris.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Luck manipulation: next blocks can be random!?? My idea for Columns can be crashed =(
TASing is like making a film: only the best takes are shown in the final movie.
Encode Please
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
Strongfoxx wrote:
Encode Please
Encode: Link to video
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2581] NES Tengen Tetris "30 lines" by MarbleousDave in 00:29.09
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Only just looked into this. Compared to the other NES Tetris is there anyway to manipulate the pieces to get a better order and a faster time? If that isn't so congratulations on the TAS you created, it was fairly entertaining. I do understand the rules of 30 lines, it's now known as 40 lines in the modern versions.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Noxxa
They/Them
Spikestuff wrote:
Only just looked into this. Compared to the other NES Tetris is there anyway to manipulate the pieces to get a better order and a faster time? If that isn't so congratulations on the TAS you created, it was fairly entertaining.
Nope, it's not possible to luck-manipulate the pieces in game. They always are the same, regardless of what you do. You can only change the pieces by starting the game at a different frame, but you'd have to do the whole run on each starting frame to see if it even helps any.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Mothrayas wrote:
Nope, it's not possible to luck-manipulate the pieces in game. They always are the same, regardless of what you do.
Eh thought so. It's similar to the bootleg Tetris on Colecovision titled "Kevtris". Great TAS mcwave then.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Awesome to see one of my favourite infancy games TASed. As said in the TASer's comment, a coop version will be even better. One question, wouldn't it be quicker to advance to level 17 from 9 rather than 0? You can wrap from 0 to 9 in one frame and thus requiring less presses on the warp code. Other good goal would be to clear all the 'garbage' tiles that are created with the difficulty option, maybe reaching next level afterwards.
Noxxa
They/Them
Perfect Death wrote:
One question, wouldn't it be quicker to advance to level 17 from 9 rather than 0? You can wrap from 0 to 9 in one frame and thus requiring less presses on the warp code.
That is what the run does. It's a little tricky to see since the menus fly by so fast in the first second, but if you look closely, you'll see the game starts at level 9.
Unlike the other one, this NES tetris game collects no entropy during gameplay, so you cannot change the piece sequence once the game is started, except by pausing and using the konami code to get one I piece per level. Without being able to pull those statistically unlikely shenanigans, you simply have to accept the blocks you are dealt. Pure skill, knowledge of the piece sequence for route planning, and inhuman reactions times are what is showcased here.
Skilled player (1706)
zaphod77 wrote:
Unlike the other one, this NES tetris game collects no entropy during gameplay, so you cannot change the piece sequence once the game is started, except by pausing and using the konami code to get one I piece per level. Without being able to pull those statistically unlikely shenanigans, you simply have to accept the blocks you are dealt. Pure skill, knowledge of the piece sequence for route planning, and inhuman reactions times are what is showcased here.
So basically Doctor Mario but with less glitching. Oh well.