Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
I was interested in Duke Nukem for a long time, but then I found out that Duke Nukem 3D was realised for Genesis, only in Brazil! I'm not sure that somebody is still interested in this port. I made a TAS of the 1st map (from 9) on Piece of Cake difficulty. EDIT: The movie is deleted because a new improve is done! I can't say the game is good for play (Zero Tolerance is better), I explained all problems in the video, but it is TASible. The question to interested or pro people: It is known that in most cases TAS should be done on the hardest difficulty, but is it advisable to TAS this game on it?? There will be so many enemies, they'll do more damage, they'll be fast (especially blow-up drons)! I just won't manage to run past them! Generally the game will transform into shoot'em up and TAS will become playthrough. I ask this question because of the specificity of this game. Thanks and enjoy =)
TASing is like making a film: only the best takes are shown in the final movie.
Guga
He/Him
Well, IMHO, with zero experience this game, playing it on the hardest difficulty, especially in FPS, are perfect to showcase the superhuman abilities that a speedrunner can't do, and also remarking the point of the TASes.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Guga wrote:
Well, IMHO, with zero experience this game, playing it on the hardest difficulty, especially in FPS, are perfect to showcase the superhuman abilities that a speedrunner can't do, and also remarking the point of the TASes.
Yeah, thanks for the advice! I think this will be correct: EDIT: The movie is deleted because a new improve is done!
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Here I start my new TAS on Duke Nukem 3D! My previous submission, done in 24:12.95, was rejected because it wasn't optimized and not all the knowledge was used! Now I use frame advance, my previous TAS as a rough notebook and edit it to see if I made sth wrong (wrong way or unnecessary switch turn)! Here is a WIP of the first map! Everything is OK?? With the help of frame advance I'm running and strafing at the same time to increase my speed! In the giant room with yellow door, switch and 2 teleports I took boots to walk in the lava on the 8th map. I didn't turn the switch on the way to the yellow card (it just closes the door to a room with the teleport). 37 seconds improved (I don't know when exactly the input ends in my previous TAS because I didn't use the frame advance)!
Site Admin, Skilled player (1235)
You can use TAS Movie Editor to observe your input files, splice, copypaste them, and even edit the presses. http://sourceforge.net/projects/tas-editor/ It only doesn't let you view the results on fly.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
feos wrote:
You can use TAS Movie Editor to observe your input files, splice, copypaste them, and even edit the presses. http://sourceforge.net/projects/tas-editor/ It only doesn't let you view the results on fly.
Thanks, I use it. I recommended it to Archanfel during his Judge Dredd TAS preview if you remember. I mean, does anyone see any improvement?
ars4326
He/Him
Experienced player (764)
MUCH better work, Dimon! Using frame advance makes a world of difference, huh? :D At this rate, I could easily see you getting this run down to 21:00 (or maybe even less). Keep it up!
"But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." - 1 Corinthians 2:9
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
ars4326 wrote:
MUCH better work, Dimon! Using frame advance makes a world of difference, huh? :D At this rate, I could easily see you getting this run down to 21:00 (or maybe even less). Keep it up!
Yes, the game eats genesis' hardware as well as Zero Tolerance, i.e. spends 3-6 frames on rendering and gives a frame for input so making turns and shots (action duration) are the count of this input. About run-strafe, I overpass ~1/5 more of distance for every 2,6 seconds, so I improve at least 25 seconds if I've passed a map in 2 mins. EDIT: for every 2,4 sec.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Second map is ready! It was more difficult than I expected: I did about 5 AI manipulation to keep my health in normal condition because I didn't take the medkit! Also I changed my route a little. I have already improved 01:01.50 comparing to my old TAS! All comments will be written in my submission! This is my last WIP. Next WIPs will be encoded and posted in WIP thread!