Funkotron has been invaded by Earthlings, and it's up to us with our Trap-o-matic jars to fix the problem. Not only that, but the Great Funkapotamus is hiding in the Funk Dimension, and will take a little persuasion to get him out. This run gets the good ending, by collecting all 10 of Lamont's favourite stuff. The objects themselves are hidden in secret doors, most of which don't even exist until you've officially asked your friends for directions; but a few can be entered early without the need to trigger the dialogue.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: Gens Re-Recording v11a
  • 1 Player Run
  • Collects all 10 of Lamont's favourite things
Basic running speed is capped at 768, but has slower acceleration rates. Diagonal jumping speed can only reach 512, but has much faster acceleration rate; thus the best start to each bit requires a quick hop at the start. Other fast movements include Panic Buttons and sliding down snow, having speeds of 1024 and 1536 respectively, but naturally these cannot be done wherever we want. Diagonal jumping itself is the intended way to get across platforms, with a standing squat jump being how to reach higher bits. Squat jumps can reach a much higher altitude, but have a much lower speed cap of 384. A neat glitch is through frame perfect swapping from running to squat jumps, we can maintain our 768 momentum while doing these extra tall jumps. This allows for a few unintended shortcuts, plus the advantage of hopping over small obstacles without losing any speed.
Jars can also be used during jumps, but will affect your speed or control in some fashion. If thrown outwards, your x/y speeds will be halved each time, but can be done as many times as you want. If dropped beneath you, you can maintain your current x speed but your Y values will reset to 0. This can used to delay descents up to 3 times, or to cut jumps short. Throwing a jar while entering water will max out your drop speed for some reason, which is the only other real glitch used here. They become upgraded to permanent Super Jars once 6 Hyperfunk Zones have been completed, as you'll see.
Desyncs are known to occur in this game, for example starting the emulator with sound off will cause one in level 5. Fast forwarding other sections can cause desyncs in them too, so careful. Otherwise, enjoy.

feos: Accepting to Moons.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
ars4326
He/Him
Experienced player (764)
Nice work! I loved playing through Toejam & Earl back in college. I was never able to complete all the hyperfunk zones and get unlimited superjars :D
"But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." - 1 Corinthians 2:9
Encode Please :D
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
Strongfoxx wrote:
Encode Please :D
Encodes show up anyway once someone gets around to it, no need to keep requesting them.
here's a shitty encode Youtube is still processing it, so you prob won't be able to watch for an hour or so. update: ready to watch Proper video added to description, removed.
andrew207 wrote:
here's a shitty encode Youtube is still processing it, so you prob won't be able to watch for an hour or so. update: ready to watch Link to video
Thank you for the encode
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I'd heard of this game but never actually played it. (It definitely has a great soundtrack.) It's a little tricky to get the hang of what's going on at first, especially when you end up going to the Hyperfunk Zone so often. After that, though, this was a really awesome run. It's a little long, and there seems to be a lot of lag, but I'm not sure what could be done about that. I am a little disappointed that the Funkopotamus doesn't really look at all like a hippopotamus, but that's obviously not your fault. Yes vote.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
creaothceann
He/Him
Editor
Strongfoxx wrote:
andrew207 wrote:
here's a shitty encode Youtube is still processing it, so you prob won't be able to watch for an hour or so. update: ready to watch Link to video
Thank you for the encode
Video is private...
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2591] Genesis ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron "best ending" by Flip in 49:23.95
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Shouldn't this movie's branch name be "best ending", as noted in this post and the next one? I could just change it, but I figured I'd ask first because it would mean the encodes would need to be redone...
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
I don't see the difference between "good ending" and "best ending" as long as they state the same thing in the game. Judging by my own words there, we really should make sure the label is consistent. Well, then so be it. Make the label "best ending". But I don't think encodes should be redone each time someone edits the label.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.