(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
Sunset Riders is a side-scrolling run-and-gun style shoot-'em-up released by Konami as a coin-operated video game in 1991. The game is set during the American Old West, where the player takes control of a bounty hunter who is seeking the rewards offered for various criminals.
this game took me a LOT of money when i was young, here my revenge!

Game objectives

• Emulator used: fba-rr-v007, bios MVS Japan ver.6
  • Pacifist version
  • 1 player
...incoming (the "indian" stage was a real pain in the ass)

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4297: mamuuuut's Arcade Sunset Riders "pacifist" in 16:17.48
Experienced player (501)
here a glitch i found when testing the game deeper before TAS http://youtu.be/VGD-_WMfhHc edit : thanks Cooljay, it's public now... i think it's more fun than just shoot everything everywhere, particulary for an "autoscroller" it don't save time cause i had to deal with guys who interferate during boss battle
ACE is my raison d'etre!
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
Says the video is private also any reason why pacifist was chosen. Is it faster?
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
Hmm not as entertaining as i expected it to be. The autoscrollers really seem to hurt the entertainment when you were doing nothing but ducking at times, along with the waiting for guys to get out of the way from the boss slowed down the pace. I think maybe 4 player run non pacifist would be more entertaing. I vote meh sorry.
Player (79)
I have mixed feelings. In this movie's favor is... well, that it's a Sunset Riders TAS. It was clearly well-executed in most essential ways and I was fairly entertained. I liked that it was a pacifist run as it required skillful dodges and creative solutions to some problems (mainly in the last level). On the other hand, I notice that there are quite a few missed shots, most notably on the second boss. Was this perhaps for luck manipulation? It looks very sloppy. Also, why was the dual-wield powerup not used until the final boss? (If you are forced to have it for that fight, I may have failed to notice or misremembered.) Finally, I think it was a stylistic error to score zero points on the bonus levels. I think that the additional entertainment would easily offset the fact that the goal is compromised. I suppose you might change the branch name to "minimum score" to emphasize that the bonus rounds had to be thrown. I could see this going either way.
Editor, Player (68)
Not pacifist. Not quality. Not yes.
true on twitch - lsnes windows builds 20230425 - the date this site is buried
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2284)
True wrote:
Not pacifist. Not quality. Not yes.
Not 4 player. But I will give meh.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Experienced player (501)
for the second boss, he have a lot of invicibility frame, maybe tha'ts why, and i did a few manipulation shots i take the dual-wield for the final boss for destroy his statue more quickly, you are not forced to have it, particulary if you pacifist, it is way harder to deal with this straight line shot for the bonus level, in my very first runs, i score perfect but it takes way too much time for the bonus point count (really) and it break the pacifist rule so i just shoot them before they become active i assume horse parts are boring, i'd like to put more enterainment here, but those guys just shoot you all the time so i pass most of time finding a way to dodge true : no pb, can you be more explicit, i want learn for my errors
ACE is my raison d'etre!
Patashu
He/Him
I LOVE how you show off your TAS invincibility in the stages, and a TAS of Sunset Riders [ARC] is definitely something cool for the site. But I feel like there's no way the boss fights are optimal. Mind you, I wouldn't know where to start - there's enemies everywhere! Damn! But with all the hitbox abuse you show through the TAS, it feels like there should be ways everywhere to be more 'brute force', shoot into the boss's face for longer and have to dodge in random directions less. (Maybe shoot while running away if needed?) Another thing - there's lag on the last stage near the start. Would the lag have not occurred if you were killing enemies? I will give meh, because I want to see you outdo yourself and give this game a REALLY awesome TAS :D In particular it needs to go 'all the way'. Either all the way for speed (try really hard to not lose any frames to scrolling the screen, lag or making the boss die ASAP) or for entertainment (find funny loops, misdirections, etc everywhere and go out of your way to show them off and don't just have speed for speed's sake, maybe show off that OoB thing you found and kill the boss with it ,etc). A four player TAS for this - wow, what would you even DO with four people in this game all at once? I think the screen is too small for it XD
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Player (55)
From IRC last night.
[10:07pm] ManoftheSea: I don't want to register just to make one post, but the recently submitted pacifist run of Sunset Riders has a kill at 15:30 in the submitted encode, on the top right of the screen.
He is right, an enemy was unnecessarily killed at that point. Not pacifist.
Projects: Tetris DS Genesis Toys: Let the Toy Wars Begin
Editor, Expert player (2001)
>_> could be better.
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
Experienced player (501)
shame one me :s for the human life i took well, maybe i should cancelled it, and try a more attractive version if you guys are interessed by... hope it will have a better audience edit : i'll give the 4p run a try, if it possile in pacifist mode ; do you think another goal is better in 4p mode ?
ACE is my raison d'etre!
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
mamuuuut wrote:
shame one me :s for the human life i took well, maybe i should cancelled it, and try a more attractive version if you guys are interessed by... hope it will have a better audience edit : i'll give the 4p run a try, if it possile in pacifist mode ; do you think another goal is better in 4p mode ?
I would just say go without pacifist as that is harder goal to please for games and no eligibility for vault. It would be safer to just go all out for fastest time and killing enemies if it dont cost time and if it reduces lag.
Patashu
He/Him
mamuuuut wrote:
edit : i'll give the 4p run a try, if it possile in pacifist mode ; do you think another goal is better in 4p mode ?
IMO go for speed. If it doesn't save time to kill an enemy (screen scrolls just as early, just as much lag, etc) you can leave it alive for entertainment purposes, but pacifism for the sake of pacifism causes a few too many weird things to be forced.
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Experienced player (501)
i definitly go to 4P fastest time, thanks guys super cancel
ACE is my raison d'etre!
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, bitter!