(Link to video)

Game objectives

• Aims for fastest time
  • Manipulates luck
  • Uses game-breaking glitches
  • Achieves credits early

DelayFFObjectGlitch

DelayObject is taken out from bank2 (usually bank6, instead) when NMI interrupts the process of objectFF. Object 00-FF appears in the Iceman stage. FinalFighter discovered that $600 was executed, when DelayObject55 appeared. We increase the number of instructions executed in one frame by manipulating music, drop items and Rockman's action so that NMI interrupts the particular process in the frame.

Instructions

ObjectFireDelay is manipulated by DropItems. $23 increases every frame, and DelayObject55 may appear when $23 is 55.
$002355
$060054F8504D54F8F8
$065000AC21006B1700
$06F01B3C3E1B3D3C20
DelayObjects is taken out
$002356
$060054F8504D54F8F8
$06503CAD221F6C1800
$06F0033C3E013D3C55
DelayObject55 calls $600
0600: 54 F8 NOP F8,X               ; Y of Rockman = 54
0602: 50 4D BVC $0651              ; Y of Rockbuster1,2 = 50,4D
0650: 3C UNDEFINED (NO USE)        ; ObjectFireDelay of DelayObject3 = 3C
0651: AD 22 1F LDA $1F22 = #$0A    ; ObjectFireDelay of DropItems = AD,22
                                   ; ObjectFireDelay of DelayObject1 = 1F
0654: 6C 18 00 JMP ($0018) = $C460 ; (instruction of StageClear)
                                   ; ObjectFireDelay of DropItems = 6C,18
                                   ; ObjectFireDelay of DelayObject55 = 00
                                   ; Input of Controllers = $0018 = 60,C4
C45E: A9 00 lda #$00
C460: 85 31 sta $31(CurrentStage)  ; <-- Jumped here
C462: 4C 0C C1 jmp $C10C

History

• 11/01/21 - FinalFighter found DelayObjectFFGlitch.
  • 14/04/29 - FinalFighter read about the article of SMB3 ACE TAS. [dead link removed]
  • 14/04/30 - FinalFighter remembered that some objects had called a RAM address. http://www.yuko2ch.net/rockman/JumpAddressList.txt
  • 14/05/01 - Creation of LuaScripts. FinalFighter and pirohiko confirmed by some cheats that DelayEnding in IceManStage was possible.
  • 14/05/08 - We began to work on a new TAS.
  • 14/05/13 - New TAS completed!

Detailed article with some pictures (written in Japanese)

[dead link removed]
こちらには日本語による詳細な解説・図説があります。

Special Thanks

• Shinryuu - He looked at and encouraged our TAS.
  • cstrakm - He discovered the DelayWaterCurrent. It led to the discovery of DelayObjectGlitch.
  • Inzult - He verified DelayObjectGlitch with the real NES.
  • Tekepen - Explanation of 6502 was helpful.
  • Kureyuni - Explanation of undefined code of 6502 was helpful.
  • AlphaBeta, NinjyaSuperK, Vagla, Bisqwit - Rockman1's analysis data were helpful.
  • adelikat, Nach, Dwedit - The problem of Old PPU of FCEUX was solved by them.
And...
  • Thank you, everyone of TASVideos.

P.S.

Rockman went to the Iceman stage and felt like going back home. It'll come out after the credits that Rockman actually doesn't complete the game. Press start after the credits, and you'll see...
The next is renewal of Rockman2!

Nach: So this is quite a TAS to deal with. No matter how I handle it, someone is going to want to strap a bomb to my car. I'm surprised I even have the guts to judge this run, as some of the comments leave me feeling the heat of the fire and gasping for air. Hopefully, now you'll understand why I did not rush to judge this, and I'm sorry for the delay.
On the one hand, most of the gameplay is cut, and all we're left with is a quick jump to the ending credits. On the other hand, only a single icy level is played (with a different single level marked as completed). This run crashes part of the game mechanics as the previous run does, albeit a bit differently, and that run's glitch usage's doesn't beat the game in a flash.
Now, unless you were living under a rock, inside a bubble, or in a wood shed for the past few years, you saw the previous run, loved it, and don't want the previous movie obsoleted. The completion state is also controversial, as to whether the game is really completed or not, and possibly this run should be rejected.
I personally tango to my own metal, and like to handle things in a shocking and most electrifying manner, although fairly so. I find the cool thing to do in this situation would be to create a new branch, but being mindful of the issues, not the one you were thinking. This is setting a new precedent, one which may require further recategorization of existing movies, and that's okay.
I deem the following branches viable:
  • All levels completed using every technique available (the currently published run).
  • All levels completed without using the magnet beam, which incidentally is responsible for most of the glitches seen in the above branch, and is also deemed impossible by the creators.
  • A quick as possible run (this run).
This kind of branching also helps with other problematic games we've seen like Super Mario World, Super Mario Land 2, Super Metroid, and Kirby Super Star, which incidentally, all those games actually report some sort of completion percentage.
Accepting this run for the new low completion branch for this game (which also happens to be game-end glitch or whatever we're currently calling it).
Guga: Processing...

1 2
6 7
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4308: pirohiko & finalfighter's NES Mega Man in 00:32.11
QuizmasterBos
He/Him
Is the encode supposed to be private? It's telling me it is.
Skilled player (1768)
nicovideo encode is 60.099fps Link to video
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
See, this is the exact reason why I should be paying attention to your Twitter. The tweet said something about TAS and Rockman and I'm like "pirohiko, oh common you cannot be serious Mega Man? It's been drowned out." He was flipping serious. Same thing went for that other TAS you just submitted too pirohiko... I'm just giving it a yes now.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
He was up all night TASing it. The poor thing, let him get some sleep.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Player (172)
Congratulations on finishing this great ACE project finally! I saw you guys working so hard every day and I'm really happy to see the final product. But it's unfortunate that this is not by Masterjun! NO VOTE!
Retired because of that deletion event. Projects (WIP RIP): VIP3 all-exits "almost capeless yoshiless", VIP2 all-exits, TSRP2 "normal run"
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
A game has been Masterjun'd again. Except this time it's not Masterjun that does it - a nice change of pace. Great to see Mega Man finally completely broken to the point of just skipping to the credits.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Fog
Experienced player (626)
But it doesn't actually beat the game. It just runs the credits during the Ice World stage. It even states that it doesn't actually say the game is complete in the notes.
Definitely yes vote. R.I.P. CAPCOM.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
It should be noted that normally, after the credits have rolled, pressing Start returns you to the stage select screen with all Robot Master stages cleared: However, with this run, it (oddly) only depicts Cut Man's stage as being cleared. I'll leave it to others to put into question whether this movie counts as completing the game.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Editor, Expert player (2459)
TASVideos is obsoleted. Hail ACEVideos!
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
Aqfaq wrote:
TASVideos is obsoleted. Hail ACEVideos!
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3585)
My opinion is that this does not complete the game. Because as Mothrayas shows, the post credits behavior matters. However, if Ice man were done last, and this was used to skip all of Dr. Wily, you would get the same post-credits behavior as if you had beaten the movie. Based on the published movie, ice man last and no wily would be roughly a 9 minute movie and a big improvement over the published movie. And I would consider it having beaten the game. Because such a movie would show off the same behavior as this movie, I would not approve of this movie being published as some kind of a "demo" nor do I consider it having beaten the game. So I think it must be rejected.
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Emulator Coder
Ice Man's level is super cool, so you'll have to visit it twice. Cut Man's level can be cut out entirely.
Active player (432)
Hahaha wow what a funny run! I do not care at all if it's considered if the authors completed the game or not. It was very short and entertaining that it definitely warrants a yes vote. Very nice work! I hope to see you finish rockman 2 all stages run as soon as possible :)
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Skilled player (1706)
Wait, is it possible to use this to somehow trigger all stages as "Complete" before showing the credits? That should make it more "legit" to the viewers.
Editor, Expert player (2459)
Mothrayas wrote:
It should be noted that normally...
There is no "normal" way to complete the game. There is no logical necessity for the old method to be the "normal" method. There could exist another planet whose inhabitants don't know about the other levels, because they always play the game like this. Thanks to pirohiko and FinalFighter, the "true normal ending" is now seen on Earth for the first time. Also, the movie says: ROCKMAN HAS ENDED (THE EVIL DOMINATION OF Dr.WILY AND RESTORED THE WORLD TO PEACE) Indeed, Rockman has ended. I rest my case.
adelikat
He/Him
jlun2 wrote:
Wait, is it possible to use this to somehow trigger all stages as "Complete" before showing the credits? That should make it more "legit" to the viewers.
Yes, by completing those stages :) Or corrupting ram to mark them as complete. For me, both would satisfy the criteria of completing the game and be publishable.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
This argument feels a little familiar to another tas. Just for different reasons.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
adelikat
He/Him
Aqfaq wrote:
ROCKMAN HAS ENDED
Well dang, that is indeed hard to argue. The game is explicitly saying it has ended :) How about this counter argument. If I glitched the riles in SMB so that 1-1 had "Super Mario Bros has ended", do I beat the game. (Or how about SMW, since we know it would be possible to do so).
Editor, Active player (296)
It brings forth the ending animation and the ending screen. I'd say it beats the game, just with a minimal completion percent. Likewise there are some games where there are optional quests, and when you beat the game, but didn't beat the optional quests, some content still remains locked after the end. It is no different. Here, of course, the main stages are not supposed to be optional... But that is just a detail.
Emulator Coder
*Nach humbly agrees with Bisqwit and wishes him a nice day. *MuffinMan would like to add that adelipants should wash his hair, the slimeball. (References can be furnished upon request, but popular culture is popular)
adelikat
He/Him
Well, Bisqwit makes a great point. However, I'll stick with my opinion, but will concede to the majority. But for me, you go to a stage, do some shenanigans and upon pressing start end up at the stage select screen with exactly what you would expect after beating a level, one level completed. (The wrong level though, sure). But it does feel like this movie simply completes a level and needs to keep going, to me, imo, etc.
Editor, Active player (296)
Well, I can't say I particularly like the glitch-achieved endings in any game (whether it be movie 1686 or movie 1947), but since TASVideos already has accepted movies beaten like that for years, ... In fact, if it were me, I'd declare that any kind of glitches that depend on race conditions and/or unlikely NMI timings (such as the substituted scrolling in Mega Man 2), execution of arbitrary code (such as the wrong ending of Super Mario World), damaged saves (such as the glitchfest in Pokémon Yellow), or other similar techniques that invoke code that is never supposed to be executed by the game at least in that order, must not occur in the "primary" speedrun of the game, but only be reserved for secondary "curiosity" runs, alternate branches.
Aww. This game had the most wonderful glitches before. I loved the fact that the game very slowly became more and more corrupted until you wondered whether mega man was saving the world or destroying it. Still, yes. Good find.
1 2
6 7