Submission Text Full Submission Page
  • Played using Famtasia
  • No warps or passwords used.
  • Played on Difficulty Level 2 (the default, of 4)
  • Basic Speed Run.
  • Damage is taken to save time, no deaths
  • Manipulates Luck
The only difference between difficulty settings is the amount of damage enemies, including bosses, take. I felt the boss fights took unnecessarily long as is, so I felt the default difficult would be sufficient (as well as the fact that the previous submission used the same setting)

• I am not sure if this is a glitch or a feature, but you can jump immediately after leaving ball form, whether you're on the ground or not. After the first boss, there is a graphical glitch that I'm not sure how to reproduce, but it in no way affects the time.
  • There is a glitch that warps you to the top of platforms in level 3-1 when you are close enough to the bottom of them.

Super Turrican was definately an interesting find for me. It plays very similarly to Metroid, but uses a weapon system similar to that of the older Contra games, and you have infinite ammo. Also, the exploration element is limited to the majority of the levels consisting of one or two paths that continue through the game, while the rest simply are dead ends, with no way of knowing which way is correct other than to memorize it.
This mazelike design made this game horribly frustrating my first few times through, until I got the levels mapped out. Even with the levels memorized, the jumps require to complete the game are very repetitive. The run is not perfect, but Super Turrican is very difficult to do speed runs on in my opinion.

The previous video for this game was done very slowly. Hesitating at most jumps, and killing enemies to save health (even though the author takes damage elsewhere, and has much health leftover at the end) whereas I just blow straight through them. The author also took much longer on bosses. In addition, I also received a higher overall score than the previous video's author.
This is an update from a previous submission that hasn't been accepted yet. The final boss fight has been made much quicker and interesting thanks to a bit of luck manipulation.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #474: Zerstorung's NES Super Turrican in 11:21.05
I liked it. This game moves at insane speed (even when you note the PAL-bug and compensate) and manages to look hard. Nice moves and it's faster than the previous version. Now that the thing with the last boss is settled I see no reason not to accept this. Props to the the composer of the soundtrack for awesome music. :)
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." ( Pratchett & Gaiman: Good Omens )
Editor, Active player (296)
Tombad wrote:
Props to the the composer of the soundtrack for awesome music. :)
Composer, programmer, designer... All the same person.
Bisqwit wrote:
Tombad wrote:
Composer, programmer, designer... All the same person.
Multi-genius then, except maybe in game design and overall balancing. :)
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." ( Pratchett & Gaiman: Good Omens )
Former player
The previous version just was not played very well. The player on more than one occasion completely stopped to attack an enemy that did not affect the gameplay, as well as hesitating at quite a few of the jumping sections.
Agreed. This was in my opinion the least well done movie that I ever saw on the site. I'm very happy somebody took it upon themselves to improve it- I haven't watched it yet but will be sure to soon.
Post subject: Re: #474: Zerstorung's NES Super Turrican in 11:21
Active player (277)
NesVideoAgent wrote:
Super Turrican was definately an interesting find for me. It plays very similarly to Metroid, but uses a weapon system similar to that of the older Contra games, and you have infinite ammo. Also, the exploration element is limited to the majority of the levels consisting of one or two paths that continue through the game, while the rest simply are dead ends, with no way of knowing which way is correct other than to memorize it.
Actually, I think that style of game is more similar to Wizards and Warriors or Duke Nukem, where you're exploring a big place that scrolls in all directions.
Tombad wrote:
For some reason, the music always makes me think of Egypt. I haven't yet figured out the reason.
put yourself in my rocketpack if that poochie is one outrageous dude
Post subject: Re: #474: Zerstorung's NES Super Turrican in 11:21
Former player
Bag of Magic Food wrote:
Actually, I think that style of game is more similar to Wizards and Warriors or Duke Nukem, where you're exploring a big place that scrolls in all directions.
The level design was closer to Duke Nukem, yes...but the gameplay itself really seemed like a Metroid/Contra hybrid to me. And yeah, the guy who made Super Turrican is a genius. Despite its flaws, the fact that EVERYTHING was done by one person makes it incredible.