Submission Text Full Submission Page
  • Played using Snes9x
  • 999999 Money cheat used
  • Target goal of 150,000 population
  • Played on map 000
Warning: This video was recorded at 2-3 AM on a Friday night with insomnia and extreme boredom. It is not good, it may be interesting to watch (I was too tired to see how it looked >_>), but at least it's a Sim City video,

Well, I finally decided to do it. A sim city time attack with a goal population of 150,000. I accomplish it by June 1905 and use the following year to destroy the city using disasters.
The reason I stopped at 150,000 was because I used the map to just about its full extent, and progressing any further would just mean letting the cursor sit still for literally hours...doesn't make for a good watch.
For the same reason, I used the $999,999 cheat. Sitting around waiting for money to collect would also lead to a boring video.

Bisqwit: Rejecting, due to being unplanned.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #475: Zerstorung's SNES Sim City in 1:06:16.95
Player (70)
Why buldozing around the lakes when you can just build over it? Further more you need more planning. Since it wasn't pretty to see you used the buldoze at all. Thats what we use re-records for. I can understand that you will need to buldoze around fires and stuff like that in order to not spread it further. But this run just seamed so boring. I watched it to the end where you started to use disasters etc. Also I don't think you should get any errornous sound when you place stuff. You know the sound when you try to build railroad over a building or something. Those sounds should be eliminated entierly. I will vote NO on this run because I think the person can do alot better.
Former player
Yeah, the video got removed already -- kind of a joke submission anyway...with all the goings on in the IRC channel and all. SimCity is one of my worst games, and I doubt that'll ever change, regardless of how much practice I get ^_^ so yeah. At least I can say that I submitted a Sim City video
Player (70)
Why did you even waste time?
Former player
It was a 2 am on a friday night and insomnia kicked in... needless to say, I was bored and too tired to do anything that required sense.
Player (70)
Hehe. Should go with the discworld MUD then. Nothing makes sence. :D
Active player (410)
^_^
Shingen
He/Him
I liked it, despite its flaws. Even if it doesn't get published it's worth a watch.
Shingen wrote:
I liked it, despite its flaws. Even if it doesn't get published it's worth a watch.
Uhm, I can't find the right ROM ... At least Sim City (E) [!] seems wrong, as that one gives "interesting results" ... EDIT: Sim City (U) [!] is the right one ... To the video itself: This is no timeattack as it is mostly played in normal speed. I think a real timeattack would be able to build in a really fast time and I think that would look very interesting. It was a nice idea and the City looked quite good, but reaction was too slow overall. It was interesting to watch on Turbo though ;-) Thus overall: Voting No cu Fabian
Wow. The author clearly does not know how to play SimCity. Although we joke about the SimCity run on the IRC channel, and althoug this video "looks" fun, it's actually very, very very very very very very inefficient. I don't know if words can accurately describe how poorly-played this video was, from a _non-emulated_ standpoint. When you consider that the author USED emulation (and theoretically used tools), this video plunges into one of the least enjoyable demonstrations of skill I've ever seen. I'm not going to go out on a limb and say that I'm a SimCity master or anything (I never even unlocked marioland on my cart) but I think I have enough knowledge to be able to say what a good and bad SimCity run is.. and this is clearly bad. It doesn't achieve a remarkable goal (The video reaches a highly inefficient 150k, when 500k population should be the actual goal. It is nearly unachievable on most (all?) maps, and requires a good deal of planning). It wastes time scrolling (IIRC, game-time pauses while the red movement arrows are displayed). Menus and item selection are far from optimized, as anyone can see. From a design perspective, this city stinks and deserves the firebombing that the author supposedly gives it: The broken-donut design is a waste of space and money (at least 2 squares can be saved by removing the internal tracks; police and fire can function without tracks. Futhermore, ). To the best of my knowledge, buildings only need a single piece of track to 'connect' them to the transportation grid. If I was watching correctly, the author uses a residential-boosting gift in a commercial donut anyway. Oops. :p I'm not sure what's best for development; forest, trees, or parks. I know trees can raise property value; natural forest may or may not.. but the author clearly does not know any of this either. 2 Seaports? Airport *not* placed in the corner of the map? The author also shows a fundamental lack of understanding how pollution works, and how the edges of maps "eat" part of the pollution. Does the seaport even need to be near water? My sources point to "No". Okay, I guess I can imagine why one might want multiple stadiums... but stadiums are +residential, aren't they? not +commercial? The tracks connecting the seaport are also inefficient; proper planning would've allowed them to not wind all the way down there, saving space and time. Underwater track bending is unnecessary in this sort of run (and I think the author did it unintentionally anyway). Spend some time reading (or experimenting) to see how SimCity works, then try for a real run.
Shingen
He/Him
Another idea for the airport.... As soon as I do the money glitch, I pause the game timer and start the mind-numbingly boring task of putting parks where there are no trees, shorelines or other things. This gets you 4 "landfill" gifts which I use to make my airport island.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, stale!