Submission Text Full Submission Page
Main Comments:
Dooty and I never thought that we could skip both Paramonia and Scrabiana, now we can! This movie is 11:13.92 faster than the previous run due to skipping Paramonia and Scrabiana!
ROM used: Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (USA) V1.0.bin
Recommended Emulator: PCSXRR-1.3f (Feos's Abe fix) PSX
BIOS used: SCPH1001.bin
Graphics plugin: TAS GPU Plugin
Sound Plugin: TAS Sound Plugin
Controller used: Segu DriectPad Pro 0.4
Here is a list of glitches that we used:
Death Delay Glitch
Often abbreviated as DDG it makes Abe invisible allowing him to get past things that would kill him. Abe will die if he falls of a ledge or gets zapped. A video made by Sligfantry can show you how this gltich works:
Auto Turn Delay Glitch
This glitch works by standing on the edge of the ledge and pressing the down button quickly and run towards a spot where you would like to hoist down. You will need to press either 'left/down' or 'up/down' depending on which direction Abe was facing.
Stop Turn
By timing this glitch perfectly you can make Abe stop and turn. Combing it with the auto turn glitch above a ledge you will be able to make Abe do a backwards jump. This will allow you to jump backwards to areas and skip Zulags. In a 100% run it will allow you to get to secret areas quicker and it skips a section of StockYards Escape after finishing the secret area. Sligfantry's video can show you how this glitch works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIo1TJUBGlo
Invisible Elum
When Abe is invisible this is done by just climbing on to Elum as soon as the mine touches him. Infinite grenades/meat/rocks In the PSX version you can pick up to 10 greandes and skip the 'picking up' animation which saves some fames.
Diagonal fall
This is done by combining the stop turn and the auto turn glitch. It is used as a time saver in Monsaic Lines and to save a frame in RuptureFarms.
Walk through Walls with Elum This is done by simply letting go of the R1 button before Elum hits the wall.
Bird Portal Closure Glitch
This run contains a new glitch which saves a few frames. You can free the Mudokon a few frames earlier than a normal rescue. Here is the before and after video on how it looks when using the glitch.
Level by level Improvements
Free Fire Zone
Yaritaina found a quicker way to get passed one of the Sligs in the Free Fire Zone. Also at the end of level, you notice that Dooty managed to find a faster way of getting passed those Slogs!
Monsaic Lines
This is one of the biggest changes in this run. The bees in this area allows us to skip Paramonia and Scrabiana completley! Also, you can set up an auto turn glitch using the bees which allows Abe to do a backwards jump so that Abe can avoid dropping down the ledge and killing himsslf. There is also an 'auto turn' glitch setup to make the backwards jump work. Lastly, there was a small time saver done at the start of the stage where Abe does the backwards jump a few frames earlier than the previous run.
The other stages were exactly the same so I just used the TASMovie Editor and copied and pasted the frames across and Dooty fixed the desyncs for me.

Dooty's Comments

April 14th, 2011, the first attempt to skip Paramonia and Scrabania; talking to a Slig at the correct frame makes it walk straight forward. It works in a lot of places, but not in Monsaic Lines. December 1st, 2012, the Death Delay Glitch brought the possibility to skip them back to life. We then found a way to set up the DDG by bees. But a "dead" Abe can't survive a fall from high ledges, also, you can't set up the Auto Turn Delay after the DDG there; not enough room to run. So, a way to set up the running DDG should solve our problem. March 25th, 2013, Paramonia's skip was found, and with it a new way to set up the DDG; running instead of jumping. June 6th, 2014, we finally figured how to set up the running DDG with bees. Sadly, the DDG cancels the Auto Turn Delay, what a bummer. A few hours latter a new trick was found; the Bee Auto Turn Delay, and with it, the last piece of the puzzle was added. Now we can finally skip Paramonia and Scrabania. Only one question remains; what's next?

Thanks!

I need to thank Sligfantry for finding this new skip and Yaritaina for finding quicker the Free Fire Zone strat. Also I need to thank Feos for providing us a fix so that now we can use the TAS GPU plugin in Abe games and also he does a great job in encoding the run with the best sound quality! Thanks again Feos!

What to expect in the future!

I hope you all look forward to seeing runs of Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty which recently got a release date! Dooty is working on a 100% update for this game and there may be even TAS runs of Abe's Exoddus and an updated Maximum Casualties run.

feos: Judging...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Skilled player (1705)
This is surprising, especially how the previous movie improves the other by 21 frames. :o I'll wait for an encode.
Samtastic
He/Him
Player (60)
jlun2 wrote:
This is surprising, especially how the previous movie improves the other by 21 frames. :o I'll wait for an encode.
We need Feos to encode it so that he can encode it with a better sound plugin. He knows how to do it.
Enjoys speedrunning, playing and TASing Oddworld games! Has TASed: Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee in 12.06.13 (with Dooty) Oddworld: Adventures II in 20.03.78 (with Dooty) Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus 100% in 2:08:28.4 (with Dooty) Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee 100% in 1:05:01.65 Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus in 37:18 Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus in 37:15 Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus 100% in 2:!5.44.12 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee any% in 13:01.3 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee any% in 12:59.95 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee 100% in 1:04:16.27 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee 100% in 1:04:01.07 Currently working on: Waiting for Windows TAS Tools to work so I can TAS PC version of Exoddus.
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
the skip is finally here!!!
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
I've heard that there are still plenty of timesavers that are known, but this run doesn't implement them. Elaborate please.
Samlaptop wrote:
We need Feos to encode it so that he can encode it with a better sound plugin. He knows how to do it.
You can make a temp encode with regular sound.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Samtastic
He/Him
Player (60)
feos wrote:
I've heard that there are still plenty of timesavers that are known, but this run doesn't implement them. Elaborate please.
Samlaptop wrote:
You can make a temp encode with regular sound.
We tried the newer time saves like the RuptureFarms early exit but Dooty says that the older strat is faster than the new strat. The new strat lead the movie to finish at 13:45.
Enjoys speedrunning, playing and TASing Oddworld games! Has TASed: Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee in 12.06.13 (with Dooty) Oddworld: Adventures II in 20.03.78 (with Dooty) Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus 100% in 2:08:28.4 (with Dooty) Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee 100% in 1:05:01.65 Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus in 37:18 Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus in 37:15 Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus 100% in 2:!5.44.12 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee any% in 13:01.3 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee any% in 12:59.95 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee 100% in 1:04:16.27 Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee 100% in 1:04:01.07 Currently working on: Waiting for Windows TAS Tools to work so I can TAS PC version of Exoddus.
Expert player (2581)
Samlaptop wrote:
the older strat is faster than the new strat.
Yeah, the secret exit in RuptureFarms tricked me; it's faster to finish RuptureFarms with it, but the time spent to land on Free Fire Zone negates the time saved. So, every known time saver, and faster strategies, are already used in this run.
I am old enough to know better, but not enough to do it.
Dooty wrote:
So, every known time saver, and faster strategies, are already used in this run.
Thanks, enough for me :)
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Expert player (2581)
Oh, and by the way, we forgot to mention one of the biggest improvements; the PCSX-rr version fixed by feos. It was painful to TAS this game with TAS soft graphics plugin before his fix, so a big thanks to him. Now, it's more like that we'll have runs of Exoddus too...
Finally :D!
Dooty wrote:
Now, it's more like that we'll have runs of Exoddus too...
Now we're talking, that's fantastic news. Cheers then too from me feros.
Expert player (2581)
feos wrote:
Dooty wrote:
So, every known time saver, and faster strategies, are already used in this run.
Thanks, enough for me :)
Oh, oh... the game is indeed shockful of surprises; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JweaNYl8aao&feature=youtu.be I'm sorry, but now this run is not finished as fast as it can be. So, please hold on a little longer and we'll fix this "mistake". edit: feos, here's the new file; http://dehacked.2y.net/microstorage.php/info/392186171/Sam_Laptop_and_Dooty_Oddysee_Any_Run.pxm Can you please replace it for us? Thank you.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... sweet!
Why was it canceled?
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2284)
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
I mean I could just update the submission, since Dooty already posted the file.
Samtastic
He/Him
Player (60)
I made a new submission now Feos and the run was cancelled so I could submit the new movie file.