Post subject: Sunset Riders
Link to video I had made a TAS of Sunset Riders using Steve and I want your opinion about if it was fast, slow, entertaining, boring, this kind of thing. And how can I improve it? Do you have any idea? if possible, give a score of 0 to 10.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
It looks pretty fast and entertaining overall, but I think it can be improved a little. I would give it a 7. In general, try not to miss shots. If it takes only one or two shots to kill an enemy, then you should only shoot that many times instead of shooting over and over at him, as this looks sloppy. Also, try to shoot enemies as soon as possible, even if they're not on the screen yet. Doing so may allow you to continue moving forward without any delays. Other than the missed shots, you managed to make the autoscrolling levels entertaining, which can be hard to do. Good job! At 0:29, would you be able to hit those enemies on top of the stable by shooting upwards, or can you not hit them until they jump down? If you can hit them while they're on top of the stable, that would save time. At the boss fights at 4:10, 9:04, and 11:25, check to make sure that your shots are actually hitting him. If he doesn't flash white, then your shot may not have hit and you might need to wait a few frames before shooting again (especially for the boss with the shield). This will ensure that you hit him as soon as he becomes vulnerable every time, which will allow you to defeat him faster. At the levels that start at 5:57 and 8:28, it appears that the game is lagging because of the large amount of enemies on screen. Lag is when the game can't keep up with what's happening onscreen and so wastes a frame to make sure it processes everything. You should try to avoid lag when making a TAS if at all possible, as wasted frames only make the movie slower and longer. I would recommend shooting as many of those enemies as you can without slowing down or going backwards as you do in the last level.
Player (70)
Would be interesting to see a 4 player run on this but I do understand that it takes a lot of effort to make that. Otherwise I can just agree with CoolKirby. Wasting shots is a big no-no unless it is in some way entertaining. In this case it does not look very funny at all but more like a normal speedrun. Not sure how it is in the arcade version, but in the genesis version you could for example slide under the bull stampede to make it look a bit more daring. Maybe play around a bit more when the opportunity is given to do so instead of just be at the right most end of the screen just running into it. Another thing of personal opinion is to try to kill all enemies, unless it costs time to do so. For me that adds value and entertainment. This might be easier to achieve while using at least two players. If you go for more than one player you can do more stunts, acting around, dividing score between players, and what ever else your fantasy can cook up. Looking forward to your next revision. Good luck and keep it up!
CoolKirby wrote:
It looks pretty fast and entertaining overall, but I think it can be improved a little. I would give it a 7. In general, try not to miss shots.
I think that's impossible to not miss shots because when the gun is with a upgrade, every time that you press to shot it will give 3 shots.
I know you can't help the extra shots that the upgraded gun shoots at once. I meant that you should avoid shooting an enemy more times than it takes to kill him. If your bullets pass through him without hitting him, that would be considered a missed shot.
CoolKirby wrote:
I know you can't help the extra shots that the upgraded gun shoots at once. I meant that you should avoid shooting an enemy more times than it takes to kill him. If your bullets pass through him without hitting him, that would be considered a missed shot.
Ok, I'll make another TAS of this game after finish my TAS of Horrifying Mario World but as TASVideos don't accept Snes9x 1.43 movies anymore it I'll put the encode here at the forum.
OK, looking forward to it!