Submission Text Full Submission Page
This is a tool-assisted speedrun (TAS) on Double Dragon for SEGA Genesis. Everyone on tasvideos knows the trilogy of Double Dragon for Nintendo NES, but still no-one TASed Double Dragon for GEN. Did anyone paid any attention?

Game objectives

• Emulator used: GENS-rerecording v11a
  • Aims for the fastest time
  • Take damage to save time (technically)
  • Die to save time
  • Luck manipulation
  • Vivacity and energy (You won't be bored watching this!)

My own comments

I can't believe I've passed full game in frame advance and improved every fight at least 2 times! I think it's because the game is short =) I think it's a great run for a newbie like me!

Mission by mission comments

Mission 1:

The first fight is simple. Fastest time, improves and etc. Baseball bat causes as much damage as roundhouse kick, so I decided to take it and pass the mission with it. In the last fight (with boss), I needed to kill one guy to spawn the boss faster and manipulate the enemy with knifes to throw them at simple enemies: if boss die, enemies go away which can delay the mission, so I needed to kill the boss just after enemies die.

Mission 2:

It was the easiest mission of all! Just throw enemies into the pit. Belt conveyor also saved my time.

Mission 3:

The first fight was a little slow (lag frames), because of 6 moving objectives on the screen, but I fixed it killing 5 of them =) I took the bat at the first moment and knocked down 2 men to manpulate the 3rd to change his direction and all enemies were left from me and then made an empty hit to knock down 4 enemies at once after it. Then it was a matter of technique. I needed to lose my bat (you can't throw it away!) and in the fight with the first pit I found a great way to do that and managed not to lose time. In next fights I was throwing enemies in pits. In the fight with boss, I needed to kill boss only, because there was a "rescue point" near us.

Mission 4:

I was just checking the level, but I didn't guess that all enemies die without my help! In that fight I just manipulated evils to thrust enemies quicker. I took knife because it causes lots of damage which helped me in fight with Mr.X stolen from SOR. Everything I needed is to find the fastest recipe to kill him. This is the end!

Other comments

The first part of Double Dragon was published in 1992 after Double Dragon 2 (in 1991). Thats why the graphics in DD 1 is better! I played all three DDs on Genesis, but I think DD 2 is so boring to get published! I made a simple TA run on it, but I think that even if I improve it, it will be boring anyway! The first part is interesting for TASing and I think 2 players can pass it in 4:10 (~).

Truncated: Judging underway.
Truncated: Changed movie file to one with fixed start and ending, making it 5 frames faster.
Truncated: This is a nice movie. Unfortunately I cannot accept it, since movies must beat all existing records, and there is a test movie by Aqfaq which is faster. See this topic. It accomplishes this mostly by using the whip instead of the bat (three times more damage) and making enemies which comes out of doors disappear, including the final boss. It also uses the second player for a split second to trick some enemies into a pit, but even though that potentially puts it in another category, it is clear that a movie hoping to be published needs to include the other tricks. Sorry, I am rejecting this. Please try again, I think it will make an entertaining movie.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4337: Dimon12321's Genesis Double Dragon in 04:35.91
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
I'm not going to go far with this but it looks okay* for a single player TAS. I am not checking your starting input this time. Maybe later but... You have 467 maybe more unnecessary frames at the end (~00:07.78 seconds lost). Correct your ending input and post it to the WIP section then post it here to be replaced. I will write this, a 2 player TAS can go along side with this. We have a few arcade style (or arcade to begin with) which uses all players or just the single. Refraining from voting until a replacement is made. *If it isn't okay, I apologize because I'm still up for some reason so at the current time of watching it looks fine.... Night.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
At 1:52 looks reaally laggy with killing the enemies with so many enemies with the bat. Was there no way to minimize this?, because it would save alot of time.
Correct me if I am wrong but would using the elbow save more time? I don't know the damage output of the elbow vs a bat difference would be or frames lost or saved for elbow attack vs using the bat. Reason why I am asking is elbow, elbow, elbow is how I beat this game on my Genesis growing up. Again, sorry if I am wrong in asking, I am just curious.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Cooljay wrote:
At 1:52 looks reaally laggy with killing the enemies with so many enemies with the bat. Was there no way to minimize this?, because it would save alot of time.
At 1:52 nothing is shown (black screen, loading mission 3). What do you mean? I improved every fight in the run and I'm not sure sth else can be improved.
TASing is like making a film: only the best takes are shown in the final movie.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
pepness wrote:
Correct me if I am wrong but would using the elbow save more time? I don't know the damage output of the elbow vs a bat difference would be or frames lost or saved for elbow attack vs using the bat. Reason why I am asking is elbow, elbow, elbow is how I beat this game on my Genesis growing up. Again, sorry if I am wrong in asking, I am just curious.
Elbow is a little weaker and has low range. Do you remember how to do it? Left/Right +BC =)
Editor, Expert player (2459)
I liked the run. Voting yes. For reference, here are some old files I recorded: Old full game test run. Seems faster? Old unoptimized WIP of the first fight. Significantly faster? Source: This forgotten thread.
Dimon12321 wrote:
Again, sorry if I am wrong in asking, I am just curious.
Elbow is a little weaker and has low range. Do you remember how to do it? Left/Right +BC =) [/quote] Oh, I see. Thanks for explaining. And no, I forgot how to do it after all these years lol. It's been way to long and too many games ago. That's why I lurk the TAS site so I can see my childhood games again, see them beaten in ways never imagined. I don't have the time or commitment to TAS a game myself so watching is the next best thing :D
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Spikestuff wrote:
I'm not going to go far with this but it looks okay* for a single player TAS. I am not checking your starting input this time. Maybe later but... You have 467 maybe more unnecessary frames at the end (~00:07.78 seconds lost). Correct your ending input and post it to the WIP section then post it here to be replaced. I will write this, a 2 player TAS can go along side with this. We have a few arcade style (or arcade to begin with) which uses all players or just the single. Refraining from voting until a replacement is made. *If it isn't okay, I apologize because I'm still up for some reason so at the current time of watching it looks fine.... Night.
Input at the beginning is the fastest! I expected that I needed to include the ending! If I'm wrong, why you didn't told me about that in my previous TASes? Here is a link: http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/15383256641359640 But why people should not see the phrase "May you live happily forever."?? It's so romantic!
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
Dimon12321 wrote:
Cooljay wrote:
At 1:52 nothing is shown (black screen, loading mission 3). What do you mean? I improved every fight in the run and I'm not sure sth else can be improved.
Sorry i meant a few seconds after when the fight begins. It was really laggy. The animations were going really slow until the enemies died. I hope you notice it too, because it is quite easy to see.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Aqfaq wrote:
I liked the run. Voting yes. For reference, here are some old files I recorded: Old full game test run. Seems faster? Old unoptimized WIP of the first fight. Significantly faster? Source: This forgotten thread.
DAMN!!! MY MOVIE WILL BE REJECTED AGAIN!????? I SPENT 16 DAYS MAKING IT!!!! NO!!!! Why don't you give any chance to beginners?? I will throw this website FOREVER!!!!
Editor, Skilled player (1505)
Dimon12321 wrote:
DAMN!!! MY MOVIE WILL BE REJECTED AGAIN!????? I SPENT 16 DAYS MAKING IT!!!! NO!!!! Why don't you give any chance to beginners?? I will throw this website FOREVER!!!!
16 days is nothing, there are TASes on this site which took years to make. Take the time you need and don't rush trough it. It is also highly recommended to watch the progress of your movie from time to time, you might spot an improvement. Also do not think, after you completed a segement or a level, that it is perfect. Try different strategies. That's the most common mistake newcomers make. Beginners have a chance, everyone was a beginner when they started, some learn fast others do not.
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
Dimon12321 wrote:
MY MOVIE WILL BE REJECTED AGAIN!
Not necessarily. There are already 7 yes-votes, so people really liked what you've done here. You should be happy about that.
I SPENT 16 DAYS MAKING IT!
Some people have spent months or even a year making a single TAS. Sometimes hard work gets rejected soon after publication. That is why it is important that you enjoy the TAS creation process itself. If you only aim to get a movie published at TASVideos, you will be disappointed. It takes a lot of effort and time to make a good TAS movie, so if you keep doing it, you had better enjoy it.
Why don't you give any chance to beginners?
Everyone is given a chance. I do agree that the quality control is too harsh for beginners here. If you had done this run in the early days of the site, it would have been amazing, because TAS movies were a novel thing, but the regular users here have seen pretty much everything already, so they are not easily impressed. Getting a couple of yes-votes is actually a pretty good achievement!
Spikestuff
They/Them
Dimon12321 wrote:
Aqfaq wrote:
For reference, here are some old files I recorded: Old full game test run. Seems faster? Old unoptimized WIP of the first fight. Significantly faster
DAMN!!! MY MOVIE WILL BE REJECTED AGAIN!?
Have a closer look. 2-Player. Read my comment at the start, regarding single and two/more players.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I liked this. It could probably be improved a little more, but that's hard to tell at this point. There are a lot of enemies to fight, so there are complicated route decisions to make. I'm not sure it's best to keep knocking the enemies down, but I don't know the game well enough to have a better way. As for 2-player and such... when that actually gets made, I'll see whether to vote yes on it. Spikestuff, I don't think it's fair to avoid judgement on this run in favor of a category that somebody might not make. You can certainly suggest a 2-player run, and you can say that a 2-player run might obsolete this, but in the meantime we don't have a 2-player run. Judge this run just on its own merits. Good job dimon12321! Keep practicing though!
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Experienced player (630)
Voting meh because I would like to see an improvement of the NES version instead of the Genesis one. Even though it was good enough.
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony
That's a surprisingly mannish-looking girlfriend there. Frankly the graphics and coding on this game are pretty embarrassing, especially compared to Streets of Rage on the same system. I'm pretty sure the levels were cribbed from the Commodore 64k version of the game (I know I recognized the first two levels; never made it further than that as a kid though so I can't comment on the others). Of course, the C64 version might have stolen levels from other versions as well... As for the gameplay, there were a few places where I felt like attacks maybe weren't made as soon as possible or where I suspect some more effort could have gotten enemies into pits faster, and of course that super-laggy section looked terrible, to the extent that I wonder if it might actually be faster to kill them in smaller groups. But for the most part this looked pretty good!
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
TASeditor wrote:
Take the time you need and don't rush trough it. It is also highly recommended to watch the progress of your movie from time to time, you might spot an improvement. Also do not think, after you completed a segement or a level, that it is perfect. Try different strategies. That's the most common mistake newcomers make.
To add on to this, after you finish the entire movie, open up another emulator window and start a second movie aiming to beat the one you just finished. Optionally, after you finish the second movie, do the same thing with a third movie, and keep going until you can't possibly make any more improvements. Your first attempt is never your best. Neither are your second and third attempts, for that matter. Take your first attempt, upload it to the userfiles, find or start a thread for the game and post the run as a test run. Get some advice, see what you could possibly be doing better, and get to improving. It's much easier to improve something that's already there than it is to go in blind and make a run from scratch.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Spikestuff
They/Them
mklip2001 wrote:
Spikestuff, I don't think it's fair to avoid judgement on this run in favor of a category that somebody might not make. You can certainly suggest a 2-player run, and you can say that a 2-player run might obsolete this, but in the meantime we don't have a 2-player run. Judge this run just on its own merits.
That's your assumption on how I'm viewing it, let me tell you it's not the way I'm viewing at it. My POV is to have both a 2-player and a single player TAS. Because we have had two separate runs about the amount of players for some games on TASVideos. For example River City Ransom has three different runs (Players and Playround). I was not trying to judge the category to begin with. I was also trying to not make Dimon stress over the fact that he was looking over a 2-player TAS that someone else made.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Spikestuff
They/Them
Dimon12321 wrote:
But why people should not see the phrase "May you live happily forever."?? It's so romantic! Here is a link: http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/15383256641359640
Oh crap, I didn't notice that when I was watching. Okay, at frame 16534 is where the final input (A) should be. To whoever is going to switch the files. DO NOT SWITCH THE FILES! I notice you cannot get to 16534 with your input so when you hit the final boss the last time just continue moving left don't add an up or down to it, your position is fine to begin with and the enemy won't attack. Then you should be able to hit your button to get the "May you live happily forever", you can insert your initials before the "AAA" shows up.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Spikestuff wrote:
Dimon12321 wrote:
But why people should not see the phrase "May you live happily forever."?? It's so romantic! Here is a link: http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/15383256641359640
Oh crap, I didn't notice that when I was watching. Okay, at frame 16534 is where the final input (A) should be. To whoever is going to switch the files. DO NOT SWITCH THE FILES! I notice you cannot get to 16534 with your input so when you hit the final boss the last time just continue moving left don't add an up or down to it, your position is fine to begin with and the enemy won't attack. Then you should be able to hit your button to get the "May you live happily forever", you can insert your initials before the "AAA" shows up.
If I go left after the final hit, the survived guy hits me and I fall down (the final input is at ~16630). I went 1 frame up and 1 frame down, but the final input is the same - 16538! I don't know what I have to do! I think it's OK! My city (Lugansk, Ukraine) is going to be subjected to bombardment next week! I must run away from the city anyway, so I won't have internet connection! If I need to edit my movie, delay my submission, please!
In DDII (Amiga version), if you hit the enemies with your fists two times, then wait a bit for them to recover before hitting them for the third time (the long fist that throws them to the ground), you get to hit them 5 times before they fall. I don't know about the genesis version, but if it worked it might speed up the run. I remember that the move that did the most damage was a roundhouse kick, but probably that one was only on DDII. Surprised to see many enemies survive, specially the clone boss! Also, good use of the elbow to throw the dude into the pit, very stylish. Too bad it looks like you couldn't get to use that move in the palace to save time. I vote yes, though it feels as if the movie could be improved further.
No.
Patashu
He/Him
Dimon12321 wrote:
My city (Lugansk, Ukraine) is going to be subjected to bombardment next week! I must run away from the city anyway, so I won't have internet connection! If I need to edit my movie, delay my submission, please!
Woah! Stay safe!
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Dimon12321 wrote:
My city (Lugansk, Ukraine) is going to be subjected to bombardment next week!
:'(
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
It looks good to me! The only thing I can think of is that perhaps there are faster solutions to get the enemies in the pits somehow. Still, I vote yes.