(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
This is my second TAS, I submited before the '100%' but I guess it will not be validated. People said that my TAS wasn't exciting enough. Anyway, I had fun doing both TAS; isn't it the more important ? I guess yes. So, I made this TAS, which is really hard to do and I hope the TASVideos community will get how hard it was to do this.
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (also referred to simply as E.T.) is a 1982 adventure video game developed and published by Atari, Inc. for the Atari 2600 video game console. It is based on the film of the same name, and was designed by Howard Scott Warshaw. The objective of the game is to guide the eponymous character through various screens to collect three pieces of an interplanetary telephone that will allow him to contact his home planet.
Warshaw intended the game to be an innovative adaptation of the film, and Atari thought it would achieve high sales figures based on its connection with the film, which was extremely popular throughout the world. Negotiations to secure the rights to make the game ended in late July 1982, giving Warshaw only five and a half weeks to develop the game in time for the 1982 Christmas season. The result is often cited as one of the worst video games released and was one of the biggest commercial failures in video gaming history. The game's commercial failure and resulting effects on Atari are frequently cited as a contributing factor to the video game industry crash of 1983.
E.T. is frequently cited as a contributing factor to Atari's massive financial losses during 1983 and 1984. It was generally believed that as a result of overproduction and returns, millions of unsold cartridges were buried in an Alamogordo, New Mexico landfill. In 2013, plans were revealed to conduct an excavation to determine the accuracy of reports about the burial, and in April of the following year, the diggers confirmed that the Alamogordo Burial did include E.T. cartridges among other titles. James Heller, the former Atari manager who was in charge of the original burial, was also on hand at the excavation and revealed to the Associated Press that 728,000 cartridges of various titles were buried.
The any% just requires 3 engines. But the flower% requires 3 engines and reviving the flower. This is more interesting because in the movie, E.T. revive the flower. The developper of this game also developped Yar's Revenge. If you revive the flower after giving EXACTLY 7 Reeses' Pieces (really hard to do) to Eliott after spawning Eliott, the flower will transmute into Yar.
Shouldn't we respect this easter egg ?
I used BizHawk with Frame Advance.
I did a lot of route planning. I manipulated a lot the RNG to have these patterns. You may think my TAS isn't optimised because I run on the map. But, that's false, before candies appear, we need to run several maps, and this way is the better I found.

feos: Showcasing a certain easter egg, while being slower than the fastest any% completion, can only be published, if the run is entertaining enough for moons. This one is not, unfortunately, rejecting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Mmmh, this is not Saturn, this is Atari2600 and I didn't said it was Saturn.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
packsciences wrote:
Mmmh, this is not Saturn, this is Atari2600 and I didn't said it was Saturn.
Don't mind that - the site's parser for BizHawk movies is broken and misidentifies the console. Fixed it now (for this submission).
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
How do you fix such stuff? Can you edit movie lengths?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
feos wrote:
How do you fix such stuff? Can you edit movie lengths?
Wiki: Privileges There's a privilege to change a submission's system ID - aptly called change_systemid. You're a senior publisher, you can even do that as well.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Here's an encode. The horizontal black bars are part of the game, though they make it look like the encode is just sitting in the center of the screen. Link to video This run appears somewhat suboptimal in its movement (I noticed E.T. starts walking at one point) and it doesn't use the published run's sliding trick to rise out of holes faster. However, the real problem is with the categories. The game doesn't keep track of completion percentage, and as shown by this video, the ending doesn't change at all whether or not you get the flower, Yar, or Indiana Jones. They are simply easter eggs put in by the programmer as references to the two previous games he programmed (Yars' Revenge and Raiders of the Lost Ark) and this one (the flower). As such, these two runs are just any% runs with large detours to show off some easter eggs, and not real, publishable categories for this game.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom