(Link to video)
Anubis II (read "Anubis the Second") is a fast-paced platformer by Data Design Interactive, the creators of the infamous Ninjabread Man. The evil spirit Mumm'hotep has plunged Egypt into darkness, and Anubis, the guardian of the tombs, sets out to stop him!
As this run demonstrates, this quest is made much easier through the use of a couple of heavy glitches.

About the run

• Emulator used: Dolphin 4.0-2235 (A/V sync build (Windows 64-bit))
    • Dual Core and Idle Skipping off
    • Official DSP ROMs
    • No GameCube controllers connected
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Uses death to save time
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
  • Abuses major skip glitch
  • Skips final boss
  • Genre: Platform
Note: Don't worry if the checksum mismatches. It should still play correctly as long as you're using the NTSC-U ISO/WBFS.
Also, if you have previous save data for this game, you will need to remove it before playing the movie, as it seems to throw off sync. You can do this by right-clicking the game in Dolphin, selecting "Open Wii save folder", and moving or deleting that folder.
I chose this version of Dolphin because it had the most recent corresponding A/V sync build and incorporates both the more accurate loading times from 4.0-1592 and the tick fix from 4.0-1902.
After seeing the Ninjabread Man speedrun on SDA and Kurabupengin and got4n's TAS work, I decided to run this suspiciously similar game. Along with its engine and some of its assets, all of NBM's glitches are present in this game.
Both this and Ninjabread Man use DDI's GODS, a game engine created for quick and cross-platform game development. Using GODS, DDI was able to release 62 games in 2008 with a team of only 40 people. Of course, this short development time for games like Anubis II left them full of unfixed bugs.
There are five platforming levels, four bonus levels, and a training level. In the platforming levels, your goal is to collect eight pyramid spheres in order to progress. In the bonus levels, you have limited health and your goal is to lead as many scarabs into the lava as you can before you run out of time or health.
I used a gamepad with joysticks to control the Wii Remote cursor and Nunchuk stick. It's the most accurate available method of TASing a Wii game, especially when compared to the alternative (using the mouse as a Wiimote cursor, and the keyboard as the Nunchuk joystick).

Memory addresses

These didn't end up being very useful, as everything in Training Temple is placed at an angle anyway, but I'll post them here regardless:
OffsetNameValue Type
0x0044ED1CX-PositionFloat Big Endian
0x004BE7C8Y-PositionFloat Big Endian
0x00796440Z-PositionFloat Big Endian
0x031B706CSpeedFloat Big Endian
I also made a map of the Training level to use with these values, though it was also of no use.

Tricks and glitches

Level skip glitch (found by our own Mr. Kelly R. Flewin!)

With precise timing, you can press Continue twice on the level end screen and it will advance two levels instead of one. This makes the run at least ten times shorter than an "all levels" run. It essentially turns this:
Training>Level 1>Bonus>Level 2>Bonus>Level 3>Bonus>Level 4>Bonus>Level 5>End
Into this:
Training>>Bonus>>Bonus>>Bonus>>Bonus>>End
Even though the bonus levels are completed, the glitch tricks the game into thinking you completed the main levels instead, which is why skipping Level 5 gives you the "ending" (spitting you back at the main menu).

Walking atop walls

The same collision used for floors is applied to surfaces that you shouldn't be able to walk on, like the level boundaries. This allows you to skip parts of levels. You can even walk on top of paper-thin BSP walls like the ones in the last level (Final Confrontation).

Movement

• Anubis always starts out moving slowly no matter which direction you face before breaking into an all-out sprint. I use the slow frames for angling Anubis so that he can sprint in a straight line to his destination.
  • Sprinting is always faster than jumping for horizontal distances, as jumps kill your sprint speed. This is why I sprint for most of the run, even off of ledges.

Level-by-level comments

Training Temple

• The main menu screens are optimized with a joystick.
  • The Training skip was found by me. Using some conveniently placed decorations, I bypass the level and run over the closed gate into the level end trigger.
  • I perform the level skip glitch to skip the first platforming level.

Valley

Bonus Level 1

• The fastest way to beat these bonus levels is to lose both of your hearts as fast as possible. This counts the level as "complete" and allows you to perform the level skip glitch to skip right to the next bonus level.
  • Despite the lack of TAS input, these levels are simple enough that they should be optimal or close to it. There are always 45 VIs (1.5 seconds @ 30 FPS) until your invulnerability wears off, and then all you have to do is get hit again.
  • Because of how these levels are laid out, running into a scarab is the fastest way to lose your first heart. After that, you can either run into another scarab or the lava to lose the second one. I chose a scarab this time.

Crank

Bonus Level 2

• This time, I run into the lava instead, just for entertainment (no time lost).

Temple

Bonus Level 3

• I shake things up by dying to a scarab this time.

Great Wall

Bonus Level 4

• After this level, I perform the final level skip glitch and end input.
    • There is no ending to this game. There are credits, but they are only accessible through the main menu.

Final Confrontation

Possible improvements

Training Temple might be improvable since Dolphin doesn't have a TAS input window for the Nunchuk yet. However, I didn't see this as a big enough problem to stop a TAS of this game from being made.

Suggested screenshots

886, 907 (click for full size images)

Thanks to

• Fog for the 2235 A/V sync build and the tick count so this run's time can be correct
  • Mr. Kelly R. Flewin and SCXCR for laying the groundwork for this run with the Ninjabread Man speedrun
  • All of the Dolphin developers for their hard work improving Dolphin
  • Data Design Interactive for making this game
  • You, for watching

feos: Replaced the movie file with the fixed time one.
Noxxa: Synced. Some interesting glitches, but in the end, a not so interesting run to watch. Accepting for the Vault.
RGamma: Publishing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4392: CoolKirby's Wii Anubis II "warp glitch" in 02:17.48
Patashu
He/Him
I think if there was a competition for 'most boring TAS' this would be the winner. Technically vaultable, though!
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Experienced player (630)
Yes vote hype! I hope to finish Ninjabread Man so it can be a cute and terrible combination!
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony
Player (228)
Those loading screens are pretty oppressive... makes this run an absolute snooze to watch. :( The glitches are amusing, so this run is pretty entertaining in concept but it doesn't make a very good video.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
After going out of bounds in the first level, this became incredibly boring. Works for the vault though, so I'll vote no.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Ehhhhhhhhhhh. Meh Vote.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Active player (432)
If you fastforward the loading parts, this run is actually a bit amusing. I gave it a yes vote.
Nitrogenesis wrote:
Guys I come from the DidyKnogRacist communite, and you are all wrong, tihs is the run of the mileniun and everyone who says otherwise dosnt know any bater! I found this run vary ease to masturbate too!!!! Don't fuck with me, I know this game so that mean I'm always right!StupedfackincommunityTASVideoz!!!!!!
Arc wrote:
I enjoyed this movie in which hands firmly gripping a shaft lead to balls deep in multiple holes.
natt wrote:
I don't want to get involved in this discussion, but as a point of fact C# is literally the first goddamn thing on that fucking page you linked did you even fucking read it
Cooljay wrote:
Mayor Haggar and Cody are such nice people for the community. Metro City's hospitals reached an all time new record of incoming patients due to their great efforts :P
Editor, Expert player (2001)
decent. Meh vote.
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
Skilled player (1705)
I haven't watched it yet, but since the Ninjabread Man / Anubis II thread barely mentions a thing about the latter (seriously why a topic for 2 games??) this came out as a surprise. Edit: Most of the video was loading screens. No vote.
Patashu
He/Him
jlun2 wrote:
I haven't watched it yet, but since the Ninjabread Man / Anubis II thread barely mentions a thing about the latter (seriously why a topic for 2 games??) this came out as a surprise.
I think because they are near-reskins of the same game. They even have the same 'skip two levels ahead by mashing' glitch.
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Thanks for all the honest comments, everyone. This run did turn out more loading screen-heavy than I thought it would (they are half this long in Dolphin).
AngerFist wrote:
If you fastforward the loading parts, this run is actually a bit amusing.
Ah, good tip! I'll make it even easier; here's an encode without loading screens: Link to video Also, I believe the calculated time is incorrect. According to my A/V synced encode, the final input occurs at 2:17.504, or 2:17.50. Could someone please correct it?
Skilled player (1705)
Patashu wrote:
jlun2 wrote:
I haven't watched it yet, but since the Ninjabread Man / Anubis II thread barely mentions a thing about the latter (seriously why a topic for 2 games??) this came out as a surprise.
I think because they are near-reskins of the same game. They even have the same 'skip two levels ahead by mashing' glitch.
I wonder would a TAS of Ninjabread Man be accepted as well then?
Patashu
He/Him
jlun2 wrote:
Patashu wrote:
jlun2 wrote:
I wonder would a TAS of Ninjabread Man be accepted as well then?
I assume so, since they have different levels.
Cooljay
He/Him
Active player (391)
Oh shucks you died... Congrats! Level complete. Eh it was not so entertaining overall though. Vault for sure and meh vote
Hmm... Personally, it's a little boring. I have to vote no.
I was totally amused how much was actual gameplay compared to the insane amounts of load time. That's the only reason it kept it just past meh. And um? Thank you? I didn't think I contributed that much... but the thanks is awesome. [Yay! 2nd TAS I've been thanked in!] Mr. Kelly R. Flewin
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin Just another random gamer ---- <OmnipotentEntity> How do you people get bored in the span of 10 seconds? Worst ADD ever.
Mr. Kelly R. Flewin wrote:
And um? Thank you? I didn't think I contributed that much... but the thanks is awesome. [Yay! 2nd TAS I've been thanked in!]
I admire your modesty, but without the glitch you found, this would have been way longer and probably a lot less watchable. I'm glad you appreciate the thanks though!
Cooljay wrote:
Oh shucks you died... Congrats! Level complete.
I know, right? I just don't understand the programming decisions for this game.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Desyncs right in the menus. DSP ROMs change the behavior, but don't help. Regular Dolphin-4.0.2 CRC32: 9605A371 MD5: 489A4A5F325755A1940C827721F3C916 SHA-1: EEF39B4D24042904C2E7C28566520B687CA1AE63
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
Made sure that no gamecube controllers are connected? That seems pretty important.
Yes.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Fog
Experienced player (626)
CoolKirby wrote:
Also, I believe the calculated time is incorrect. According to my A/V synced encode, the final input occurs at 2:17.504, or 2:17.50. Could someone please correct it?
Turns out there was a bug in the implementation of the tick count. I've fixed this in a newer version of Dolphin, I just need to backport the fix into 2235 (and/or make a special build which fixes the time) EDIT: fixed http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/16612016375629578
feos wrote:
Desyncs right in the menus. DSP ROMs change the behavior, but don't help. Regular Dolphin-4.0.2
I believe there are sync differences between 4.0.2 and 4.0-2235. Does it sync for you in 2235? Also, thanks Fog! Could someone replace the movie file with the fixed length one?
I don't know, I don't have an x64 system installed. Is there any kind of a 32-bit build of it?
I pinned down the Dolphin revision on which this movie starts syncing: 4.0-1862. Unfortunately, the 32-bit builds are only available for 4.0-1609 and earlier. It might be possible for someone to build you a 32-bit revision of 1862+, though. I appreciate you replacing the movie file and attempting to sync it, anyway.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2679] Wii Anubis II by CoolKirby in 02:17.48