(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
  • BIOS used: Sony PlayStation BIOS (J)[''''SCPH-1000''''].bin
This TAS is based on [1876] PSX Resident Evil "Jill" by arukAdo & Uroboros in 57:42.62. I manually edited the emulator movie file to make the following changes :
  • Barry Glitch at the beginning, after Jill and Barry enter the dining room, pausing at the right frame make Barry freeze, thus skipping the next cutscene
  • Serum Skip in the corridor where Richard is dying, pausing just when the camera changes angles, and pausing again during the cutscene makes the player regain control of Jill. This is used to leave the room and skip the cutscene. After getting the crest in the gas chamber, I lose time on purpose to let Richard die; with this technique, it is no longer necessary to get the serum.
In arukado's and Uroboros' original run, they used the box next to the serum to drop the knife and the first-aid kit. Since I don't need to go get the serum, I don't pass near a box. To free an inventory slot, I use the first-aid kit after being hit by the small plant. To free the other inventory slot, I drop the knife in the box in the garden house, as it appears to be the quickest to go to.
Besides these edits and a few minor synchronization corrections, the majority of the run was made by arukado and Uroboros, thanks a lot to them!

feos: Fixed the movie time.
feos: Delayed until the author resyncs the run with a proper BIOS.
feos: Silencement is missing, I assume he's not working on this run at the moment. Canceling for now.
Silencement, Once you're done fixing it, you can uncancel it back, or just submit a new run.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Hmmm... for some reason, it says that the run is 13 seconds long... It is actually 55 minutes long.
Post subject: Re: #4395: Silencement's PSX Resident Evil: Director's Cut in 00:13.68
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4137)
TASVideoAgent wrote:
Besides these edits and a few minor synchronization corrections, the majority of the run was made by arukado and Uroboros, thanks a lot to them!
In that case, it would be nice to credit them as co-authors for this run, them having made the majority of the run after all.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Good idea, doing this right now.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Silencement wrote:
Hmmm... for some reason, it says that the run is 13 seconds long... It is actually 55 minutes long.
199472 = 55:24.53 Yea, when I saw the time I got confused I thought it was seriously short. Anyways I'll vote at a later time.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Looking at the votes/posts, I'm unsure about the intended tier for this run...
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Spikestuff
They/Them
feos wrote:
Maybe because there was no encode provided?... Follow like the previous TAS and Moon it *shrugs*... or you know, wait. Anyways, finally got around to watching this... Yes Vote.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
It desyncs for me. What are your settings/files?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
feos wrote:
i'm aggreeing with spikestuff there, PSX games are harder to run /to get on emulators for tassing issues the low vote count can be attribued to the lack of encode.... (at leaste peoples don't vote without watching first :) )
Yeah I've been checking most days hoping for an encode, as I'm interested in seeing this TAS!
Spikestuff figured it out. This run uses a USA ROM with a Japanese bios. Is there any policy on that? Should be?
encode please im very interested in this
ロックマンX7は? 私はそのクソゲームを憎む
Added the encode.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
feos wrote:
Spikestuff figured it out. This run uses a USA ROM with a Japanese bios. Is there any policy on that? Should be?
http://tasvideos.org/MovieRules.html#MatchTheBiosRegionToTheGameSRegion
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Silencement time for a request to you. What bios did you use?
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Yup you are right... I planned on TASin the japanese version, but it's the USA version on the site, so I used the other ROM but forgot to switch the BIOS. I just tried to playback the movie with a USA bios, it desynced at first but I think I fixed it. I am currently watching it to see if it works. Also, sorry for not providing an encode, but with my shitty Internet connection, it would have taken hours, if not days, to upload it. EDIT: Does not work :( I can fix it, it's not hard, should I cancel this submission and resubmit when fixed ?
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
Silencement wrote:
EDIT: Does not work :( I can fix it, it's not hard, should I cancel this submission and resubmit when fixed ?
If it won't take long, just upload to userfiles and place a link here when done, and we'll update the submission.
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
This will be harder than I thought =/ The desyncs cause the RNG to be different, so some zombies are placed differently and I messes with everything. I think I'll fix it when I have time and resubmit later.
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
Nach wrote:
feos wrote:
http://tasvideos.org/MovieRules.html#MatchTheBiosRegionToTheGameSRegion
Wow, had no idea about this. Lucky I’m using 1001 with USA ROM… why is this rule in place? Consoles can run mixed versions, so it’s not like it’d create emulator inaccuracy? I remember making a rule on Cyberscore banning mixed play for Crash Bandicoot, but I don’t remember what the issues were… faster speed than normal play? Edit: someone should update this from that link: “Super NES BizHawk movie files (.bkm)”
does the bios have any influence the run or is it juste a synchronisation issue ?
It is just a synchronization issue. The first "cutscene" (the CAPCOM logo) starts 20 frames later on the US bios, and because of that, a lots of thing are out of sync, even after adding 20 blank inputs.
ok anyway, the movie is an improvment over the last movie due to some new glitches so yes vote for me
Emulator Coder
ALAKTORN wrote:
http://tasvideos.org/MovieRules.html#MatchTheBiosRegionToTheGameSRegion Wow, had no idea about this. Lucky I’m using 1001 with USA ROM… why is this rule in place? Consoles can run mixed versions, so it’s not like it’d create emulator inaccuracy?
Not all consoles can mix and match successfully. The games are also designed to run with a specific BIOS in mind, and BIOSes in turn are made for specific games in mind. Mixing and matching can introduce bugs that the designers did not intend. We don't condone exploitation of bugs which we ourselves created, and therefore, we don't allow for these pairings. And before anyone starts arguing "but it's playable", we can then make the same argument for exploiting emulator specific bugs, which we also don't allow.
Nach wrote:
And before anyone starts arguing "but it's playable", we can then make the same argument for exploiting emulator specific bugs, which we also don't allow.
What if it's possible to do these bugs on the actual console? The ones I added to the run are feasible on actual hardware.