(Link to video)
IMPORTANT NOTE: The ending credits theme, "Simple and Clean", is a copyrighted song. So in any encodes of this run, you will need to either mute the song or replace it with something else. I personally just removed the credits entirely, since they're like 7 minutes long and really freaking boring.
Time: 1:41:02.94
Rerecord count: 81,386
amount of "HAH"s: too many to count
This was originally my first TAS, but I stopped it so I could get better at TASing in general. I went through Kingdom Hearts 358/2, to Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, to Adventure Time: Hey Ice King!, to Ikachan, to Legend of Princess, to Jenka's Nightmare, and to Shantae before finally looping back around to this. It was a long road, but it was a road worth taking.
This run beats the game over an hour quicker then the RTA run, and features many tricks never before seen.

Run comments

World 1: Destiny Islands

-At the very beginning I choose the Sword and give up the Shield in order to change what my starting commands are. This gives me a Sliding Dash and a Quick Blitz, which both skip combo lag when used.
-The third wave of Shadows in Dive to the Heart require at least one Clock Finisher to beat. Elsewise they'll just loop forever.
-I pause in the first system sector in order to spawn the enemies faster. I only do this when I need to travel a short distance to where they spawn, elsewise I don't usually bother.
-Tidus normally takes three rounds in order to kill, but I managed to manipulate a critical hit here to reduce it to two rounds.
-Throughout the first phase of the Darkside fight, I need to make sure Sora doesn't activate his Clock Finisher before the end of the fight. Elsewise, phase two would take longer.
-Phase three of Darkside takes a fixed amount of damage at any level, so it's all about attacking as fast as possible. (Just like every fight o.o)

World 2: Traverse Town

-Immediately as this world starts I pick up a Blank Chip and a Thunder. Via command fusion the Thunder is used as a Thundara, which is very helpful. The Blank Chip is used to get a Command Expansion in the Stat Matrix, which increases the amount of commands I can equip from 3 to 4.
-Occasionally there are certain cutscene triggers that wait until Sora is standing still before activating. By walking into the cutscene trigger in the side alleyway I save time.
-After the first fight I use a very accurate Slide Dash to skip a cutscene. Saves a few seconds.
-The autoscrolling section is pretty straightforward. The only notable thing is a slight glitch with the physics. If Sora rolls into a gap being filled by a Blox, he'll actually warp above the block. This saves a tiny bit of time in the second section, but is elsewise just entertaining.
-The second boss, Guard Armor, is manipulated based on how far away Sora is to him. I wait a specific distance for him to use his arm throw attack, which is easy to dodge and takes a while, and then destroy him.

World 3: Alice in Wonderland

-In order to advance the game and reach the boss, I need to collect certain Inklings to get Alice to remember where the Keyhole is. The needed Inklings are: the Queen of Hearts, the Cheshire Cat, the Peculiar Hole, and the Red Roses. All other ones are skipped.
-The shooter section is boring and takes forever. Not much else to say about it.

World 4: Olympus Coliseum

-I equip the Aerial Sweeps I collected in Alice in Wonderland in order to use useful abilities in the turn based area. A magic command followed by two Aerial Sweeps essentially acts as a field nuke.
-I also go ahead and equip the Power Armlet I got in the first world. More on that later.
-Similar to most RPGs, waiting a certain amount of frames changes the RNG. I abuse this to get critical hits, finishers, and shorter attack animations.
-Before fighting the end of world bosses you're supposed to pick up Cloud as a party member. However, it takes nearly two minutes to get him, something that's terribly slow in a TAS. So I just leave him to die or whatever.

World 5: Agrabah

-The Olympia keyblade converts my standard combos into slower, stronger ones. It also allows me to move during a loading screen, which is pretty helpful since the first hit of the combo acts like a Slide Dash.
-When I'm at it, I go to the Stat Matrix to unlock Combo Master, which allows me to continue a combo without hitting anything first. Very helpful.
-The first Jafar fight is rather complicated. In order to manipulate him to where I want him to go, I need to stand in a specific spot at the start. I also attack two bloxs during his invincibility phases in order to prevent him from wasting time warping around.
-The green Bandits in the first system sector here aren't stunned by my attacks, similar to red enemies. I use Magnera to fix that easily.
-The elevator fight is essentially the same strategy as the green Bandits: Magnera then kill.
-Jafar 2 is exactly the same as the first one, only he has a bunch of clones shooting at me.
-Genie Jafar is all about stunning Iago so he doesn't get away. This is actually pretty easy to pull off in a TAS, so I manage to kill him much faster then normal.
-Oh, and I deliberately take damage into critical range (where it starts beeping) in order to activate my Power Armlet. Power Armlet gives me an attack boost when my HP is below 25%. This helps when dealing with the damage curve later on.

World 6: Hollow Bastion

-I lose my keyblade for most of this world, so expect lots of dodging.
-Manipulating my AI allies to do what I want is a gigantic pain.
-Right before the end of world boss fights, I finish synthesizing a Judgement Triad. Judgement Triad sends three spinning blades after enemies, which are all very powerful.
-Pete can easily be manipulated via my attacks to do what I want. I manipulate him at the start to get me into critical range, so I can deal more damage.
-Pete 2 automatically starts with the lightning vortex, so I just Judgment Triad his face beforehand. He's supposed to use the lightning vortex again once he reaches low HP, but I kill him too fast for that.
-Riku can somewhat be manipulated with his attacks, but it's mostly jumping and attacking.
-Riku 2 is the same, but with a warping ability you never see.
-Riku 3 is the same as Riku 2, but with a very easy to dodge 'Desperation Move'.

World 7: Inside Riku's Data

-Beating the 6th world grants me the Oblivion keyblade, which is essentially the Kindom Key with automatic Attack Haste. It also has Two-Edged Blade, which means I deal increased damage at the price of HP. Combined with the Power Armlet, I'm literally unstoppable.
-I also get Dodge Roll LV2 and a Finishing Plus. Dodge Roll LV2 has more invincibility frames and travels farther, which the Finishing Plus gives me a second finisher to my combos.
-Not much to say about the world revisits.
-Riku 4 is the same as Riku 2, but with some silly fire nonsense. I managed to loop him into doing his guard move.
-Another sidescroller section, only this time it's determined by how fast I go. How nice.
-Dragon Maleficent automatically does attacks after a certain number of hits. Pretty simple.
-What you do in Sora's Heartless 1 changes what Sora's Heartless 2 does. In order to prevent him from doing an instant death move I can't dodge, I manipulate it away here.
-Sora's Heartless 3 and 4 are exactly the same, in that he'll automatically do his finishing move once the clones die.
-Sora's Heartless 5 is the hardest boss battle in any game ever.

World 8: Castle Oblivion

-After already revisiting worlds, let's revisit worlds again!
-Roxas automatically does his Faith attack at certain HP points. That's why he does it twice. When he reaches low HP he can do a final version of it, which takes much longer. I managed to kill him before that though.

Known Improvements
-I discovered in Hollow Bastion that you can press Select in the Stat Matrix to move around it faster. Would save a few seconds.
-Blue Rhapsodies in the Wonderland system sector can drop Aerial Sweeps. Would save about 20 frames over getting them earlier.

Thank you to Spikestuff, solarplex, and ForgoneMoose_ for showing a lot of interest in this project. Gave me the motivation to finish it.
Also thanks to the Kingdom Hearts speedrunning community. Without them I probably wouldn't have even started TASing.

feos: Accepting to Moons.
Spikestuff: Publishing... Correction, this is going to take some time to upload...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4397: arandomgameTASer's DS Kingdom Hearts Re:coded in 1:41:02.94
Experienced player (630)
Wowee! You finished it!!! I'll be waiting for encode, but I know its going to be pretty good!!!
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony
Editor, Expert player (2001)
Thanks. Youtube is being rather difficult with the file.
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
Editor, Skilled player (1504)
If you're encoding it with VirtualDub, make sure you enable "force keyframes every 1 frame" in the compression settings. This fixed this problem for me.
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
Post subject: Re: #4397: arandomgameTASer's DS Kingdom Hearts Re:coded in 1:41:02.94
Player (12)
TASVideoAgent wrote:
The submission message follows: <blockquote> IMPORTANT NOTE: The ending credits theme, "Simple and Clean", is a copyrighted song. So in any encodes of this run, you will need to either mute the song or replace it with something else. I personally just removed the credits entirely, since they're like 7 minutes long and really freaking boring.
This gets into the same "fair use" questions that the recent Twitch policies have raised. Technically, all of the graphics and music in a game are copyrighted, so if a Super Mario World speedrun can be muted for its use of the SMW overworld music, then technically the entire speedrun is illegal to have in video format. Almost every video on this site is breaking the law, unless a speedrun is considered a transformative work and fair use! The Tony Hawk speeduns should be muted, too! On the other hand, it's probably a lot harder to argue that the use of the credits music in the credits is fair use, since no gameplay or transformative work happens after the end of the game (that's a speedrun's purpose).
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Oh joy... Oh joy copyrights. Oh bloody hell this will be a nightmare then. I was entertained a lot happened over a long period of time and hooray for skipping scenes or else my entertainment would've dropped completely. Yes Vote. Well this would be a very fun and long one to encode. I kinda want to call out that I can do this as final encode because of what needs to be done for the YouTube encode which involves quite the number of switching screens.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Post subject: Re: #4397: arandomgameTASer's DS Kingdom Hearts Re:coded in 1:41:02.94
EgixBacon
He/Him
Player (181)
mathgrant wrote:
TASVideoAgent wrote:
The submission message follows: <blockquote> IMPORTANT NOTE: The ending credits theme, "Simple and Clean", is a copyrighted song. So in any encodes of this run, you will need to either mute the song or replace it with something else. I personally just removed the credits entirely, since they're like 7 minutes long and really freaking boring.
This gets into the same "fair use" questions that the recent Twitch policies have raised. Technically, all of the graphics and music in a game are copyrighted, so if a Super Mario World speedrun can be muted for its use of the SMW overworld music, then technically the entire speedrun is illegal to have in video format. Almost every video on this site is breaking the law, unless a speedrun is considered a transformative work and fair use! The Tony Hawk speeduns should be muted, too! On the other hand, it's probably a lot harder to argue that the use of the credits music in the credits is fair use, since no gameplay or transformative work happens after the end of the game (that's a speedrun's purpose).
That's funny, because I've found some RTA's of the NES Mega Man games on YouTube which are blocked on mobile devices. I'm guessing it's because Capcom (or rather, Suleputer) may have released the soundtracks on CD. Anyway, back on topic: I've seen the first 6 worlds in the WIPs, but I'll have to wait for an encode before I can see the last two. Then I'll be able to give this one a vote.
FanFiction|Youtube Still on Win7! Take that, Microsoft!
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Battle Report (which includes watching that 7 minute cut-scene at the end):
feos wrote:
http://tasvideos.org/Nach/FairUse.html
"This video previously contained a copyrighted audio track. Due to a claim by a copyright holder, the audio track has been muted." "Audio muted due to claim" The only Kingdom Hearts version which isn't audio blocked is the PSP version titled Birth by Sleep which is a remix by PLANiTb. Also the PS2 Version of Re: Chain of Memories.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Finally got an encode up. Will probably add some commentary to it sometime today. Edit: All right then, the commentary is finished. Just click the captions button and have a grand old time.
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
I'll be thankful if someone with a faster CPU judges it.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
feos wrote:
Spikestuff is handling the encode I believe?
Spikestuff
They/Them
arandomgameTASer wrote:
feos wrote:
Yea and I'm sitting with the biggest question mark above my head. Keep the Credits and Kill the audio or Remove the Credits for the YouTube. But feos is talking about, Judging your TAS.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Spikestuff wrote:
Keep the Credits and Kill the audio or Remove the Credits for the YouTube.
I would say to just remove them, but it's up to you.
sack_bot
He/Him
Player (111)
arandomgameTASer wrote:
Spikestuff wrote:
Keep the Credits and Kill the audio or Remove the Credits for the YouTube.
I would say to just remove them, but it's up to you.
But leave the battle report screen up at the end.
Message me here for my discord. Current Project: Psycho Waluigi Project on wait list: None?
sack_bot wrote:
The battle report and the final cutscene are considered separate from the credits, so not to worry.
sack_bot
He/Him
Player (111)
arandomgameTASer wrote:
sack_bot wrote:
The battle report and the final cutscene are considered separate from the credits, so not to worry.
Meaning that the song that is an issue isn't playing during it?
Message me here for my discord. Current Project: Psycho Waluigi Project on wait list: None?
sack_bot wrote:
Meaning that the song that is an issue isn't playing during it?
Correct.
Demon_Lord
He/Him
Spikestuff wrote:
arandomgameTASer wrote:
feos wrote:
Yea and I'm sitting with the biggest question mark above my head. Keep the Credits and Kill the audio or Remove the Credits for the YouTube. But feos is talking about, Judging your TAS.
I enjoy credits... I'd keep 'em and mute the audio for that part.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Keep in mind the downloadables will definitely have the credit music. It's a total of 5 minutes of awkwardness if I keep it on the YouTube. If I can think of an alternate with the dead audio I'll do it but right now it's 2:2. If we have more of a talk about this copyright crap and stuff. I'll kill the audio but right now I'll sit here waiting. Yes, I'm sitting with a version which has credits and no audio and no credits... So I'm literally waiting on more comments.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Demon Lord wrote:
I enjoy credits... I'd keep 'em and mute the audio for that part.
+1
Spikestuff wrote:
Keep in mind the downloadables will defiantly have the credit music.
Fight the power!
Former player
arandomTASer wrote:
Roxas automatically does his Faith attack at certain HP points. That's why he does it twice. When he reaches low HP he can do a final version of it, which takes much longer. I managed to kill him before that though.
It's Magic Hour, not Faith.
Tangent wrote:
Spikestuff wrote:
Keep in mind the downloadables will defiantly have the credit music.
Fight the power!
Don't ask why but that reminds me of the Cyberchase theme Link to video Ironic since Re:coded has 'code' areas as well.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2698] DS Kingdom Hearts Re:coded by arandomgameTASer in 1:41:02.94