(Link to video)
Edit: if you get here from Webnation's video, he stole it.
Hello there, welcome to submission comment.
Shantae is a rather obscure GBC game that was released almost a year after the GBA. It is notable for its high quality and general booty shakiness.
Originally started by LSK and cetaka, I decided to finish a TAS of this game so people would stop asking for it.
Tricks Used

Attack/Running

The B button both attacks and runs. This means if the B button is ever let go, Shantae must waste time doing an attack before being allowed to run again.
If one holds the B button during a cutscene, or during a loading screen, Shantae will automatically start running without needing to do an attack first.
In rare situations where Shantae needs to let go of B on the ground, jumping and using an attack prevents the attack from delaying Shantae's acceleration.
Additionally, using an attack while in the air out of a run will not slow Shantae down at all. Only if she touches the ground without holding B again will her speed be reset.

Aerial Crouch Jump

If the ground underneath Shantae collapses while she is crouching, she will still remain crouching as long as only down is held. If down is released without pressing any other buttons, she will do her transition animation between crouching and standing. If you then press A during this, she will jump in mid air.
This is used a few times to save some jumps.

Crouch Transition Extra Hit

A frame before Shantae's hair attack hits an enemy, letting go of down will put Shantae in her standing pose immediately, and also make any enemy take an extra hit. This can be chained with multiple crouch attacks.
Using this, I one round the first phase of the Tinker Ship fight, saving nearly 12 seconds.

Slippery Vine Skip

If Shantae continues moving before landing on a vine, there is a single frame where she's able to land on the vine and jump again without sliding. This is used in many locations to save some time.

Instant Stop

Pressing Down for a single frame will instantly stop Shantae. This is handy for transformations.

Button Manipulation

Unique to this game is being able to use every button for RNG manipulation. This is combined with frame manipulation, so one can just hold a button that will do nothing to change the RNG really easily. It's used for everything.

Things that might not be obvious

- The first boss fight uses CTH to one round it. This is the first time I've seen this happen anywhere, mind you. - Once the intro level is done the day/night counter begins.
- I need to wait outside the loading zone to the caravan, since it was daytime. The only way to skip this would be to save 50 seconds, which would be impossible baring some glitches. This also means that any mistakes made in the first half of the game don't matter.
- Spider form sucks
- The Twinkle Stone Labyrinth's ice blocks have a special property that allow Shantae to go OoB. I use them after collecting the Harpy form to skip half the dungeon.

Suggested Screenshots

see, this is why we need a hide tag in this thing >_>

Thanks

- The RTA Shantae runners. Without them the route wouldn't exist.
- LSK and cetaka for being cool guys trying to TAS this
- Spikestuff, solarplex, ForgoneMoose, Exonym, Patashu, and many others, for showing interest in this project.

Noxxa: Judging.
Noxxa: Good run of a nice game. Accepting for Moons.
Spikestuff: Publishing... this should take less time than Kingdom Hearts

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4426: arandomgameTASer's GBC Shantae in 1:05:26.00
Experienced player (630)
oh yeah can't wait for encode
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony
Thank you for starting and completing one of my more anticipated games for a TAS. A pity about the mandatory wait for nightfall, but nonetheless a wellplayed run all the way through. Yes vote from me.
I like my "thank you"s in monetary form.
Active player (469)
Link to video Temporary encode, low quality, tell me if there's any problems with the video on IRC.
Experienced player (630)
TASVideoAgent wrote:
The submission message follows: encode coming don't you dare solarplex
solarplex wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm-RXE8309A Temporary encode, low quality, tell me if there's any problems with the video on IRC.
solar, you meanie... thanks anyways.
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony
Editor, Experienced player (882)
Yesssssssssssssssssssssssss.
Current thoughts: Hachiemon (J) for GBA.
Active player (469)
Kurabupengin wrote:
TASVideoAgent wrote:
The submission message follows: encode coming don't you dare solarplex
solarplex wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm-RXE8309A Temporary encode, low quality, tell me if there's any problems with the video on IRC.
solar, you meanie... thanks anyways.
haha he let me do it via IRC :P
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
Initially, I wanted to just watch a bit of the run now and watch the rest of it tomorrow, but ended up watching the whole thing now (Thanks, solarplex, for the encode!) This is one of the most technically impressive games I've seen in a while, and the TAS looked spot-on too. I have only one question: Is there any reason you die to the second boss once? It seems like you set up your Health to be low so you deathwarp later at the cactii, but dying to him resets your health. (Probably still wouldn't save 50 seconds, but still. This'll teach people to complain about the SMB 21 frame rule again.) Very entertaining watch all in all, and it's great to finally see the game get TASed. Voting yes. Also, "it's mommy". Seriously, WayForward? Seriously?
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Nice Risky.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
LSK
I'm glad this finally got the treatment it deserves! Watching now.
Editor, Expert player (2015)
scrimpeh wrote:
I have only one question: Is there any reason you die to the second boss once? It seems like you set up your Health to be low so you deathwarp later at the cactii, but dying to him resets your health.
That was a slight mistake on my part, actually. I needed to die once, and the boss was the only place where I didn't need to backtrack a lot. It didn't end up wasting any time, however, since I still needed to wait the 50 seconds. (Even while dying the day/night clock still advances)
scrimpeh wrote:
Also, "it's mommy". Seriously, WayForward? Seriously?
They probably wanted to keep the squid genderless, but yeah that sounds weird.
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
All right, here's my encode. It contains captions for commentary, like the other two TASes I've done. Link to video
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
yeah gorgeous game and booty shaking ! erm... nice run, yes vote is the day / night circle reseted by the game over ?
Nicos wrote:
is the day / night circle reseted by the game over ?
No, it stays at the same. The only things that are reset is health and location really.
They probably wanted to keep the squid genderless, but yeah that sounds weird.
It's more that "it's" is "it is," and not "the one belonging to it." I'm sure it misses it is mommy! Well, yeah, I'd miss under those conditions too, to be fair. This run is great and this game looks grand too. I'll be searching for a copy while I vote Yes...
Priam wrote:
This run is great and this game looks grand too. I'll be searching for a copy while I vote Yes...
Good luck on that. The game is extremely rare in cartridge form, but luckily you can get it for Virtual Console on the 3DS.
Warepire
He/Him
Editor
Good run and nice game soundtrack, I was decently entertained. Looked well done too. I voted yes.
Definitely a good run. Yes for me as well. I think it's interesting that the developers made it so hitting Risky from behind basically smacks her *ahem* behind with your hair.
arandomgameTASer wrote:
Priam wrote:
This run is great and this game looks grand too. I'll be searching for a copy while I vote Yes...
Good luck on that. The game is extremely rare in cartridge form, but luckily you can get it for Virtual Console on the 3DS.
It looks like WF successfully got a Kickstarter funded to make a new iteration in the series for modern consoles, too, so that's good news.
Priam wrote:
It looks like WF successfully got a Kickstarter funded to make a new iteration in the series for modern consoles, too, so that's good news.
It is good news. Sucks the Wii U and etcetera can't be TASed yet.
Editor
That skip in the desert, could it be omitted to cut down on the waiting for night time later?
Oh awesome, you finished this! I was offline for the weekend due to computer woes; I'll have to find time to watch this. What I saw from your WIPs was quite solid though. In addition to the GBC game, there's also a DSi/WiiWare game (Shantae: Risky's Revenge) that was recently-ish ported to iOS and PC. It's pretty good, though I think the GBC game has more, uh, "heart" I guess. And yeah, they're working on another game that will get released on basically everything. Regarding deathwarps: you have a set number of lives (3, I think). Dying resets you to the beginning of the room; running out of lives resets you to the last place you saved (but you keep all your progress otherwise). Hence why the run goes out of its way to save at Water Town -- it saves on backtracking across the entire desert and the area east of the starting town. Not doing this skip doesn't make sense because the day/night timer doesn't run during screen transitions, so you want to minimize those. If the timer did run during transitions, then instead of doing the backtrack, the run would probably go out of its way to collect a powerup (Monkey's Claw is most likely, since it allows you to attack while in monkey form, which lets you skip many transformations).
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Derakon wrote:
Regarding deathwarps: you have a set number of lives (3, I think). Dying resets you to the beginning of the room; running out of lives resets you to the last place you saved (but you keep all your progress otherwise). Hence why the run goes out of its way to save at Water Town -- it saves on backtracking across the entire desert and the area east of the starting town. Not doing this skip doesn't make sense because the day/night timer doesn't run during screen transitions, so you want to minimize those. If the timer did run during transitions, then instead of doing the backtrack, the run would probably go out of its way to collect a powerup (Monkey's Claw is most likely, since it allows you to attack while in monkey form, which lets you skip many transformations).
^ pretty much this
GoddessMaria
She/Her
Reviewer, Experienced player (849)
At last, Shantae arrives to TASVideos! I took a look at the run and I absolutely loved it! While I did favorite everything in it, my most favorite was the playaround as you waited for the transitioning. Clear Yes vote!
Current projects: failing at life
Editor
I meant the smaller one, the one that remains in the desert area.