Submission Text Full Submission Page

SMS A.L.F. gets a new TAS with a new 'secret' found in game. The previous TAS was about 2 minutes longer.

A.L.F. wants to go back to his planet. To get his aim, he needs to collect some items.
  • Emulator used: BizHawk 1.8.1

Objectives

• Finish the game
  • Be the closest possible to opponents
  • Avoid to strafe a lot because the TAS would be unviewable
  • No DeathWarps (which is very used in last TAS)
I found a chinese video on the Web and I found it strange no TAS has been done with this 'trick', then I checked GameFAQ mentions it as a 'Secret' so I made this TAS.

TAS walkthrough :

The first thing is to get the salami, then the cat. You have to go to the children's bedroom then Pause the game, press Left, Up, Button 1 and Button 2 and you get all items. Then unpause the game and get back to your overboard. The pause skip is optimized. The second level is the last because of the trick mentioned previously. I takes place near planes in air, then in space where you need to buy a Space Suit 100$ (well actual spacesuits cost more I guess). I took a bunch of time to have perfect shop menuing. But the trick doesn't give you money. Whatever, you just have to sell the pearl in space shop and buy a spacesuit.
In deep space, you meet satellites I like to call "Spoutnicks" and comets I like to call "Green poo". You need to avoid them. I tried to be as close to opponents so it is cool to watch. Unfortunately, A.L.F.'s hitbox isn't very glitchy and is sometimes unfair thus I am sometimes one pixel to get killed but it seems like I am 3 miles away. Then, the moon gives you an awesome item to get to Mars to be with your girlfriend Rhonda.

'What if I want to play this game casually ?'

Some people thinks A.L.F. game is bad. It isn't actually. If you try to do a playthrough, try to remember Alf's hitbox is large, and the game's plot is very complex. I recommend the use of savestates even with a casual playthrough.

Things that could be improved

I supposed walking movment was faster than jumping because last TAS didn't jump to gain time but if somebody find a heavy glitchy way to run, tell me. The shop is frame perfect and moon's talk too. I am not sure if salami's speech is perfect. Also, for space and planes part, I supposed straffing a lot didn't win time for two reasons : the TAS wouldn't be cool to watch and it seems in real time it wasn't faster.

Have fun watching my TAS

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4443: packsciences's SMS ALF in 02:03.24
Editor
Uhm, wouldn't this "trick" count as an obvious cheat code? Also, you "supposed" that walking is faster than jumping? That implies that you didn't bother checking.
Active player (469)
henke37 wrote:
Uhm, wouldn't this "trick" count as an obvious cheat code?
Souds like a cheat code to me.
Oh, is it ? I checked on the web and they didn't said so, I apologize if so.
Also, you "supposed" that walking is faster than jumping? That implies that you didn't bother checking.
Alf's animation takes very long time and he jumps not very fast so, now I am sure, walking is faster
MESHUGGAH
Other
Skilled player (1888)
Pretty sure this is a cheat code because you would get points for picking up the other items aswell (for example 1000 points for the "badge" or whatever is that 3rd item is).
PhD in TASing 🎓 speedrun enthusiast ❤🚷🔥 white hat hacker ▓ black box tester ░ censorships and rules...
Ok, should I delete the TAS ?
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
GameFAQs Cheats Section wrote:
Get All Items Go into the kitchen and get the salami first, then jump up and get the cat. Continue left to the next screen with three doors and enter the first door, you will be in the children's bedroom. Now press Pause, hold Up + Left and press 1 + 2. Note: To get the space suit you have to sell the pearl.
Yeah, this is obviously a code.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Twisted_Eye
He/Him
Active player (332)
packsciences wrote:
Also, you "supposed" that walking is faster than jumping? That implies that you didn't bother checking.
Alf's animation takes very long time and he jumps not very fast so, now I am sure, walking is faster
Walking is actually faster, but you can't walk and attack at the same time. The cave under the house has infinitely spawning bats, and the emulator timing used at the time of the last TAS didn't let you get past most of them without attacking, so jumping and attacking occurred a lot. (The SMS emulator on my Wii allowed you to just walk by them with its timing, which would be so much better.) But yeah, sounds like this is a no-go if a code was used. Not a good game to TAS anyway, since so much if it is or is effectively boring autoscroller.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
packsciences wrote:
Ok, should I delete the TAS ?
There's a Cancel button on the submission editing page, unless you want more feedback, of course!
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... minty!