Submission Text Full Submission Page
Legacy of Wizard is a weird but funny game. When I started this I had no idea what game it was but it turned out to be funny!
My attempt is 15 minutes (!) faster than Marsh's attempt. This is because of better routes, thinking and luck manipulation.
You play as this family, including their pet, who shall retrieve four crowns and then slay the evil dragon.
Some words of the game and my attempt.
This game is huge! Much bigger than I had expected. Every family member has it's own area and the areas has their own problems. For example Xemn's area is filled with blocks that needs to be pushed around, a bit like Lolo maybe.
In order to do everything you need you must collect several items. I get the necessary items + a couple of others. Also, you can find items along the way, such as keys, food, speed scrolls and money. This is a bit annoying because I must collect some of these items to get anywhere. Another part that is annoying is that when you are low on something, say money, enemies will almost only drop money bags. This makes luck manipulation very hard but I tried to manipulate them as much as I could to get what I wanted.
This means I can't have speed scrolls all the time, even though I totally want too. But I think the run looks pretty fluent anyway.
Also I have to wait for the items to appear on screen, this is a bit annoying but it doesn't really matter. And the closer the enemies are to the bottom of the screen the faster items will appear. This is however not possible to manipulate all the time (only killing enemies at the bottom) because some enemien just refuse to drop a wanted item.
Sometimes I wait a bit longer to manipulate enemies to drop speed scrolls. I concider this totally worth it even though movement forward throughout the game suffers a bit. You'll see why ;)
Hmmm. I think I made three mistakes that im not very happy with but the fluency don't suffer.
First possible mistake that I know of is in Xemn's area. I might have pushed some blocks not optimal. When that came to my mind I was already in the girls area...
Second: I don't think I actually need the "spike boots". But taking them and using them doesn't waste much time and they were actually pretty helpful where I used them.
Third: When I search for the sword I take a small detour to retrieve a crystal in order to teleport myself to the entrence of the dungeon. I could and I should have taken this when I passed there with Pochi, unfortunately I forgot that and discovered it when I had the sword but I couldn't teleport home.
Good thing is that I get a key without waiting for it this way.
Hmm. I also take some detours with the purple girl (mother maybe?) in order to obtain the magic key and to equip it. This is because I need much money to buy the jump boots.
Last thing that I can think of now is the boss fights. I tried to kill the bosses as fast as possible and I think I succeded. The forth boss however takes a bit more time. This is because if he hits he will instantly kill me. So I had to run away from him and then kill him.
And I think that was it.
  • As fast as possible
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Manipulates luck
  • FCEU used
Enjoy it!
/Walker Boh
Walker_Boh: Im canceling this because I now know more ways to improve it.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #487: Walker Boh's NES Legacy of the Wizard in 29:03.93
Former player
Well, this was certainly a surprise! I've never played this game before, but it's not difficult to understand the movie. I can honestly say I was never bored for the entire half-hour. Very entertaining. One of my favourite things about the movie is the speed upgrades. It's exciting to see you blast through levels at nearly top speed. It's just too bad they are temporary :( I really couldn't notice any mistakes, even the "mistakes" you pointed out, which was admirable of you. So you have my vote. Great job as always!
Former player
Thank you Ouzo! Great to hear you liked it. My mistakes however bothers me a bit. I know it can be improved a bit but I don't know if I have the time for it now. Anyways, glad to hear someone likes it!
/Walker Boh
Skilled player (1404)
Very nice. Couple of small concerns though. 1. You kill a bunch of enemies with no apparent rhyme or reason. What's the deal? 2. When falling down that big ladder at the entrance, instead of going all the way to the right and missing that block, you hesitate and smack right into it, sometimes bouncing twice as a result. Is there a reason for this? With the mother you could have equipped the wings at the last possible moment at that point and not bounce; it certainly would have saved a bit of time. 3. As Xenm, the fater, wouldn't it have been faster to enter the room with the mattock from the far right and bypass that ladder altogether? But this is a very nice run. Problematic, as you admitted, but definately worth publishing.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Quietust
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Former player
I had watched marshie's run before. It was quite painful. Thank you, Walker Boh, for showing us the PROPER way to speedrun this game. I salute you.
* Quietust, QMT Productions P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another
Former player
Yeah, I don't know that saying this run is "15 minutes (!) faster than Marsh's" is so impressive :P
Skilled player (1404)
Oh yeah, and 105,000 reloads? Goodness, the proportions almost double the S3K run! *before anyone tries and corrects me, notice I said "proportions"*
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Former player
Ferret Warlord wrote:
1. You kill a bunch of enemies with no apparent rhyme or reason. What's the deal? .
This is to try to manipulate luck and item dropping. Sometimes enemies refuses to drop things if 1-3 enemies before are alive.
Ferret Warlord wrote:
2. When falling down that big ladder at the entrance, instead of going all the way to the right and missing that block, you hesitate and smack right into it, sometimes bouncing twice as a result. Is there a reason for this? With the mother you could have equipped the wings at the last possible moment at that point and not bounce; it certainly would have saved a bit of time. .
This is if I understood your question an issue with the characters. The only character that allows higher jumps (almost) is Lynn (the girl). The others will crash. It could be some luck manipulation involved but I don't know exactly where you mean.
Ferret Warlord wrote:
3. As Xenm, the fater, wouldn't it have been faster to enter the room with the mattock from the far right and bypass that ladder altogether? .
Possible, I don't know where you refer to though =/
Ouzo wrote:
Yeah, I don't know that saying this run is "15 minutes (!) faster than Marsh's" is so impressive :P
I didn't intend to offend Marhs but more point out the time as a reference...
/Walker Boh
Former player
I didn't intend to offend Marhs but more point out the time as a reference...
I know. I just felt like poking fun at him anyway ;)
Post subject: Faster Route?
I have been waiting for a Legacy of the Wizard run for quite some time now and this one is definetly a good start but, as you mentioned some of the mistakes did hurt it. So i'm still holding off on my vote for now. I think I found a better route for the daughter, since the areas are so large and its hard to explain I made a map. It doesn't really show how to get from one point to the next as you can figure that out yourself easily but shows the basic route. Hope it helps you and that you will consider doing a second run if you find the time. Map here : ftp://temp:none@atlin.serveftp.com
~Brose~
Former player
Cool map. Problem is, and I can't test it at the moment (not sitting at my computer), when I have equiped the spring boots where you marked the INN, I don't think I can make that jump because I don't remember any enemies at that screen and I don't think the height will be enough. If I can't make that jump your route is unfortunately not good since I need the spring boots up there (near the crown) and at the route I have now I avoided some useless backtracking. If however that jump turns out to work it would be great! I will investigate this in time. Thanks for suggestions anyhows.
/Walker Boh
The locked door just above the inn has a lion sitting on it once he is touched he will start to move and will jump you can use him to jump up to the area above on the right side I have tested it the jump is possible with its help. I think once you are able to test it you will understand better. Good luck :) p.s. the run was still very enjoyable keep up the good work.
~Brose~
I think this run was just made to prove it could be done in under 30 minutes. It was obvious you didn't have much regard for your life :-D You barely escaped with it on the final bosses. I even saw you pick up a poison :-o and fall onto enemies when it could have taken a split second to equip the spikes. I'd say 90% of the time improvement was because you took faster paths and avoided unnecessary items. When looking at how long I spent collecting items with the fat guy and the daughter in the beginning. There were times when I needed some things to spawn and they wouldn't give them to me no matter what. Like I needed gold really bad to buy the spring boots. I could never get enough until I went into the inn. Spending gold to make gold :-D having less gold than anything increased gold spawns (enough to buy the spring boots barely). Also when trying to get items, I managed to spawn scrolls eventually. It's probably possible to get more scrolls than you did. Also of course I saw wasted magic like when having the wings equiped with the mother after you left the house. I did that too but, went back and unequiped the wings. I'm sure it's possible to complete this game in this amount of time without squandering resources needlessly. Bosses probably can be killed faster. I think I used the power knuckle which increases hit power by 400%. I realize you only spent a day or two at the most making this, which would explain these flaws. It's unfortunate that Bisqwit didn't leave my movie up for comparison. It was deleted for an unknown reason. My guesses are: he didn't want the "first" submission of Legacy of the Wizard to be compared with anything else, maybe I said some things that made him look bad/wrong (parish the thought), or maybe it's just personal bias against me. Afterall he'll tell you it's because "this isn't for movie storage. It's a submission manager". By that logic in fairness, all videos that get rejected would be deleted also (which they aren't suprise).
Former player
I like how marshie thinks he's in any kind of position to point out or explain anything.
I'd watch out for that BombAHead person Walker...the way he was talkinga about you the last time I saw him, let's just say if you're straight you have a problem. That's a cute message of Bisqwits. I assure you if you knew what he did to me, I still say he's done more to me than I have him. He gets uncivil first. I've never seen someone get so nervious about my mere presense. I will admit this place seems to be built pretty tacky (crashes easy and stuff). Maybe that's why.
^ Me acting like nothing happened is the closest you'll ever get to an apology from me. I could just as easily go on and on about how you expect me to blow you to remain here ha. My favorite part of the movie is when you collected multiple scrolls and went super fast. If there was a way to keep that up, that'd be awesome.
2 quick questions First, when you kill the enemy on the ladder and collect the item with the pet, why do you wait on the ladder for it before going down? Can't you go down and the item will fall down onto you? Also, when you are going to kill the dragon with the boy, and you drop down the tall latter near the main entrance, why do you land on the block first on the bottom screen and then drop again? Why not just drop all the way down the first time? But it was an awesome watch! Especially when you had like 5 speed scrolls stacked on the pet. Wow.
You've certainly tagged marsh with a scarlet "A", Bisqwit (or should it be "H", for hacking?). I think, though, that a better solution would be to just make a post in the news section warning of marsh's offense, and then post a one-line link to it in all his posts, so everyone who cares can read for themselves. Right now, it's distracting. Oh--I'll edit this with my review shortly.
Skilled player (1404)
Itstoearly wrote:
Also, when you are going to kill the dragon with the boy, and you drop down the tall latter near the main entrance, why do you land on the block first on the bottom screen and then drop again? Why not just drop all the way down the first time?
Walker, this is the ladder I'm talking about. You smack into that block almost every time, and even go to the left instead of right with Lyll, the girl, resulting in minor backtracking. Why not just go all the way to the right and miss the block altogether instead of smacking the ground numerous times?
Former player
Great planning jobs, and well done luck manipulation(assuming that's the extent to which it can be manipulated). Those scrolls really made a difference. It seemed like the mother's section could have been done more accurately, such as using wings more to avoid falls, or conserving items and health before visiting her last inn(I think you overused the wings and took needless damage right before visiting it). Nonetheless, this is a yes from me.
This game looks like it's pain to play on a real console, let alone without maps or faqs. Anyway, great planning, good execution. Especially good when you stack those speed scrolls, but interesting watch anyway. Yes.
"Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home." ( Pratchett & Gaiman: Good Omens )
Former player
Thanks for comments. The big ladder at the beginning of the dungeon is a problem, the reason why I bumped into the block at the end of it is because then Im slightly more to the right and thus on my way into the dungeon. The ladder itself it's not safe to navigate in to because I will crash into it like the block, so I have to either be totally to the left of the ladder and crash to the ground, or do it the way I do now. Maybe the left option is the better.. I think I went to the left because I didn't want to bump up a screen. I found it annoying. Maybe that was a bad decision. About the ladder where I grab the key with the pet. Items will not fall down on keys, that's why I had to wait. And yes, I tried almost every enemy I passed to get that key but that scorpion was the best I could do without waiting unnecessary long. Hmm, mothers area might be improved a bit but I was satisfied with the outcome anyways since I could use one of the last Inns to refill mana and energy without any problems.
/Walker Boh
Former player
I will do a new run since that shortcut with the Sphinx will save quite some time. If you got any other suggestion I'll glad to hear them. Oh, and if you mean the block that is the huge one above Keela's painting (the dragon) I think the falling/crashing part there is an issue with the characters. Most of them canät make the long jump down to the ground level there without middle landing on the smaller platform high above the ground, this means I sort of have to crash twice. I can probably start with version 2 in a week. Sorry for submitting a bad run apparently =/
/Walker Boh
Editor, Reviewer, Experienced player (968)
>It's unfortunate that Bisqwit didn't leave my movie up for comparison. It was deleted for an unknown reason. It's fascinating how he thinks he can get away with that when the reason is printed below every message he writes.
Former player
^ ^