(Link to video)
This is a tool-assisted speedrun of James Bond 007: The Duel. This game is a platformer where you should rescue hostages, find the bomb and escape, shooting bad guys by the way. There are 4 completely different levels. There is a big variety of actions: Bond can shoot in 6 directions (also in the air when possible), swim (instead of sinking, like in GTA 3), take cover/hide if there is a passage opposite him and climb the stairs/rope/downpipe (also shooting from that possition).

Game objectives

• Emulator used: GENS Rerecording 11A
  • Uses hardest difficulty
  • Take damage to save time
  • Aims for the fastest time
  • Genre: Platformer

Comments

James Bond 007: The Duel seems to be the only game about James Bond for Sega Genesis. Back in the childhood, with the help of piracy, each cartridge contained up to 16 games and I played each game when I was bored. As many games, I couldn't pass even 2nd mission. I think I would not soon remembered it, if not a trip to the cinema on Skyfall in 2012. After 2 years, I finally decided to TAS it though not everyone likes it somehow. Also I found a TAS which was never submitted on TASVideos, played by suklaalevy1 in 12:12 back in 2009. I think I won't even try to improve it if was published, but it was a game of my childhood... I couldn't pass by it!

Weapons

There are only 2 weapons which are available in the game:
1. Walther pistol - is a simple weapon, which Bond has during all the game. There are 18 rounds in a clip. He can take up to 5 clips (when he has 5 clips, no-one of enemies drops a clip).
2. Granades - only available when he takes an ammunation kit (it gives 2 clips and 3 granades). Does 6 damage and kills every enemy, excepting bosses.
There is no hand to hand combat in the game, so the guards don't attack Bond when he is too close.

Stage by stage comments

There are also comments which compare my actions to suklaalevy1's actions.

Mission 1: Ship

We fly down on the jetpack and land on the ship. First of all I climbed down the stairs to rescue the first hostage. I killed a guard and he dropped a clip into the sea to clean the way and not take it. Small platforms were helpful because I can gain more speed and don't lose any time on getting up if I jump and land one the edge of the platform. As I've already saved some time, I didn't take damage from a guard and just jumped over him. All guards, who were interrupting me, killed. I don't know what is the point in dropping down the submarine on Bond, maybe the law of meanness... After jumping on boat, I interrupted on some frames because the guard wasn't in a good for me position and was damaging me after I climbed up. When I climbed on the next stairs, I killed the next guard immediately to do 3 jumps on my "height level", move the camera up and manipulate a guard not to appear on the long platform. That long guy on the bridge is the first mini-boss, who catches you and drops you to the sharks, but I just jumped over him. After jumping in the water, I jumped to the submarine and swam away! No clips were taken because of no free time.

Mission 2: Jungle

In this mission the secret agent must jump on the giant trees, climb the vines and still wear his costume in the boiling hot weather! Now the enemies are mercs (soldiers) and large map of the mission. I don't think it needs any comments because I just jump up and down. The jump on 2:17 in the encode was so difficult because I couldn't reach the edge of the platform and the merc shooted me. As I lost some frames just before the place with the scarecrow, which can throw knifes, I just ran past him and didn't jumped over. I took a clip because there was an ammunation kit with 2 extra clips, so no-one drops a clip. The 2nd boss is a combat machine, which has 21 HP (requires 3 granades and 3 shots). Everything else was just done quick.

Mission 3: Mine

This mission was so slow because of the elevators. Because of them I didn't improve the first part of the mission and waited a lot for the main elevator! I spent lots of time on the last hostage, but after I've done that part, I discovered that an elevator is spawning when I reach special point. As the lift, which goes to the last hostage, is always rides away when I reach the screen with it, I ran to the spawning elevator and spawned it during the travel of the lift. I wasted some shots to reload the pistol in non-wasting time. Left "arm" next to the bomb must be destroyed because it doesn't miss me at all! Second "arm" and the way to the exit arr also improved.

Mission 4: Turbine station

That was a classic platformer mission. Everything is done in the fastest time, but I slowed down a little times to go further. This mission is also improved and I didn't take damage from some fire places. The second giant turbine (9:46) works on the law of meanness: if I walk forward, it damages me twice, but if I wait a little, it drops fireballs faster and I go forward unburnt. Laser machine also has 21 HP. Final boss has 41 HP. He drops metal ball in you if you stand on one position. Bond's girl kisses you and THE END!

Other comments

feos: Judging... Man, that Matt Furniss' music!
feos: Replaced with a movie that has a fix for ending.
feos: Accepting to Moons.
sheela901: Processing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4480: Dimon12321's Genesis James Bond 007: The Duel in 11:46.39
Editor, Expert player (2459)
Watched most of it. Seems okay. I saw some good health management and spotted no obvious mistakes. Dimon's best run so far.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Aqfaq wrote:
Watched most of it. Seems okay. I saw some good health management and spotted no obvious mistakes. Dimon's best run so far.
So far? What was bad in my previous accepted runs?
TASing is like making a film: only the best takes are shown in the final movie.
Active player (469)
Dimon12321 wrote:
Aqfaq wrote:
So far? What was bad in my previous accepted runs?
He must've missed those. First attempts were rough but I could see you had it in you to be amazing. great job on another TAS
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
One being the best doesn't make the rest bad :]
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Skilled player (1435)
Dimon12321 wrote:
What was bad in my previous accepted runs?
In this movie someone used only 1 player instead of 2 :)
I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Current projects: NES: Tetris "fastest 999999" (improvement, with r57shell) Genesis: Adventures of Batman & Robin (with Truncated); Pocahontas; Comix Zone (improvement); Mickey Mania (improvement); RoboCop versus The Terminator (improvement); Gargoyles (with feos)
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Archanfel wrote:
Dimon12321 wrote:
What was bad in my previous accepted runs?
In this movie someone used only 1 player instead of 2 :)
... because 2nd player causes lag frames. Especially when there are more than 5 objects on the screen :-)
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2284)
Found where it can be improved :P Menu Navigation, changing from Normal to Maniac. You have:
v, , ,>, , ,>,S
I have:
v, , ,<,S
Like usual when I attempt to fix something like that I get desync so derp. (3 Frames lost, oh no what are we ever going to do? (sarcasm)) Also, you can stop your input way earlier because you don't need to put input in for the closing or for your name, there is a set time limit. Corrected ending input: User movie #18696972459859350 Starting input not corrected for reasons above (+ me being lazy). Now lets choose a vote. For me it wasn't unwatchable, it gets boring here and there so... based on that I'm giving it a Yes.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Active player (434)
Dimon is a positive hard working TASer,nothing stops him,congratulations for the good job!
TAS i'm interested: megaman series: mmbn1 all chips, mmx3 any% psx glitched fighting games with speed goals in general
Patashu
He/Him
Ah, what the hey, I was entertained and didn't expect to be, so yes vote!
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Former player
I'm a huge fan of the Bond series, so I loved seeing 007 in a platformer for once. If the game misses something, it would be more gadgets, those would have made it much more bond-ish. The TAS seems to be well done, even if it continues the record of the most edits by Spikestuff. The only part I didn't like was level 3, you should have been more creative there during the waiting times (silly every-other-frame movement, dancing around to the music). But despite that, it still gets a yes vote from me!
Current project: Gex 3 any% Paused: Gex 64 any% There are no N64 emulators. Just SM64 emulators with hacky support for all the other games.
WST
She/Her
Active player (442)
Spikestuff = expert menu selection improver :-D
S3&A [Amy amy%] improvement (with Evil_3D & kaan55) — currently in SPZ2 my TAS channel · If I ever come into your dream, I’ll be riding an eggship :)
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
andypanther wrote:
I'm a huge fan of the Bond series, so I loved seeing 007 in a platformer for once. If the game misses something, it would be more gadgets, those would have made it much more bond-ish. The TAS seems to be well done, even if it continues the record of the most edits by Spikestuff. The only part I didn't like was level 3, you should have been more creative there during the waiting times (silly every-other-frame movement, dancing around to the music). But despite that, it still gets a yes vote from me!
Dancing was not a good idea because Bond does his actions for about 7 frames and music is sounding quickly. I just won't got in rhythm.
yes vote. are the cycle timer set for the elevators when you see them or at the begining of the level ? (exept for the special one you mention )....
WTH, this is a James Bond game? Oh boy lucky I never got to play it as a kid it would had ruined my love for the franchise. Yes vote on my part, was entertaining enough not to skip, so it's a plus on my side. Got a catching Genesis/Megadrive music to it, oh the memories.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
Nicos wrote:
yes vote. are the cycle timer set for the elevators when you see them or at the begining of the level ? (exept for the special one you mention )....
All elevators, excepting one I've spawned and the lift that moves to the last hostage, start moving from the beginning of the level. I think that's why the game is lagging at times.
Dimon12321: so do you want a movie replacement?
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (479)
feos wrote:
Dimon12321: so do you want a movie replacement?
Yes, please!
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2714] Genesis James Bond 007: The Duel by Dimon12321 in 11:46.39
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Nice job getting this published! The game looks like crap controls, but you did a good job with it. The damage abuse falling from the trees in the second stage is really funny. Is the sound person the same guy who did music for Puggsy? The tunes sound like they use the same effects.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
mklip2001 wrote:
Is the sound person the same guy who did music for Puggsy? The tunes sound like they use the same effects.
http://www.vgmpf.com/Wiki/index.php?title=Matt_Furniss http://www.nerdist.com/2013/07/the-legacy-music-hour-143-matt-furniss/
Why is James Bond rescuing Michael Jackson?
"The guy was fatally injured and wants to be covered by God's tears (rain) before he dies. God is too busy to bother because it wastes frames." Frames 16:26