Hello! This is my Super improved TAS of Pokémon Platinum Edition over my previous submission by almost 50 seconds or so. I did it as optimal as I could, and this time I'm more experienced in TASing than last time.

About the game:

This is a TAS of Pokémon Platinum on the Game Boy Color... wait... WHAT!? It isn't supposed to be on the DS??? Well, yeah... but this is a bootleg game that came out 4 years (2005) before the actual Platinum (2009). This game is called in chinese as Kou Dai Yao Guai - Bai Jin Ban, but its Pokémon Platinum translated in Chinese. It was made by Sintax, the makers of Pocket Monsters Saphire, Little Taichi: The Adventure of Myth among many others. Most Sintax games utilizes a very broken engine with very sloppy controls that can be broken very easily on an emulator.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: VisualBoyAdvance rerecording v24 svn482
  • Takes damage to save time.
  • Abuses programming errors
  • Heavy glitch abuse

Comments

It was fun to improve this TAS, when I discovered there was a run button, I instantly redid the TAS, since Spike and arandomgameTASer improved my last submission.

Tricks and Glitches used

• Drop direction frames:
When jumping without running, on the frame when you land, stop moving and press A and in the next frame move again, it's actually faster to move this way, but not when you are running.
    • The running button:
Me with some speedrunners found that the B button was used to run, and then I found out how ridicolously broken running was in this game. When jumping, the falling speed increases insanely and you'll slide while falling, to cancel the slides you'll need no B input 1 frame (with direction) + press again B with A with direction again and you'll keep your speed momentum. You can clip through platforms while running, but not large sections of a level. However, the running button does NOT work on stage 2 for unknown reasons.
    • Backjump and wall clips (Taken from the last submission):
This glitch requires to turn left and while holding Left+Right in the D-Pad and then jump, you'll jump backwards. The game isn't intended for you to do that, so the programmers didn't thought of making wall detection when the character moves to the opposite direction (you can also move backwards while falling). And NO, you can't do this from the other side, since unlike Zelda II, you actually can manipulate your jumping direction in mid-air. The walls and your jumps have a limited range though, so you can't clip an entire wall.

Stage by stage comments

Here I'll talk about the improvements I made though all the stages.

Stage 1:

Here's where the run button was discovered. I abused the slide-cancels here to jump earlier. A also clip through the final platform in the stage just to be faster. The first wall bump was needed to slide through the cliff, otherwise it doesn't work.

Stage 2:

THE RUN BUTTON DOES NOT WORK HERE! So I abused from the drop frame trick instead. The wall clipping got opimized as well improving the level by some frames.

Stage 3:

The level is straight forward, so keeping speed on the level was a priority, however bumping on platforms is still possible, so I avoided any of those.

Stage 4:

The upper route is considerably faster with the run button, unlike not running, it's not. Also, I used a trick for quick ladder exit on the level too.

Stage 5:

I confirmed that in this case, the lower route is faster while running. Same as stage 3 with the bumps though.

Electabuzz:

He was easier to kill this time, due to a new trick which consists of shooting projectiles in the air, which is considerably faster that shooting on land.

Other comments

Improvements that can be done:

Theres only one, and that's still finding a way to clip through walls on the other side... that's all I can think of right now.

Special thanks:

Spikestuff - for improving my previous submission, and finding the drop direction trick, as well as some minor optimizations to this run.
solarplex - for making and encode of my last WIP I posted.
The RTA runners of this game - they motivated me more (indirectly), to make an improved movie.

Suggested Screenshot (already compressed, for Nach's taste):

Thanks for watching and have a nice day!

Nach: Judging.

Nach: Replacing file with a slightly faster one from Spikestuff as discussed in the thread.

Nach: Based on some new things discovered since the last run I think there's still room for further improvement. However, this seems to have enough quality for a first run, and there was a warm audience response. Accepting to vault.
fsvgm777: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4488: dekutony's GBC Pokémon: Platinum Edition in 02:23.67
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Enjoy: User movie #18875594102253337 Starting Input should be Start then A not Start and Start. Final inputs could just change instead of having a jump frame and 3 frames of movement you can just shoot and say "That's it", not going to really check on the ending fight, just modified it to have a quicker ending input. Also rom name should be: Kou Dai Yao Guai - Bai Jin Ban (Unlicensed, Chinese) [Fixed].gbc Because when you search for the rom title you give you end up getting the one I mentioned.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Experienced player (630)
Thanks in advance. Although I can't seem to replace the movie file... thank you anyways.
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony
Active player (469)
Link to video Temp Encode This is using Spikestuff's altered file with a finishing time of 2:23.67
Editor, Expert player (2001)
Much better! A bit on the short side, but reasonably entertaining with the clips. I give this a Yes.
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
AntyMew
It/Its
Encoder, Player (35)
In terms of entertainment, it's alright. It's a slow platformer, but its already short levels look better with sprinting and wall clipping. I'm a bit put off by the character choice (mostly because Flareon's walk cycle is adorable :3), and Flareon might actually break even because of its apparently higher attack, but w/e. And I also wish there was a short autoscroller room or something so you could play around and show off more of the awful physics :( I'm probably wasting my time complaining about a bootleg game, though. Obviously the people who made it didn't care much to make it TASable, nor playable :P Anyway, voting yes. Nice job :)
Just a Mew! 〜 It/She ΘΔ 〜
Ford
He/Him
Anty-Lemon wrote:
In terms of entertainment, it's alright. It's a slow platformer, but its already short levels look better with sprinting and wall clipping. I'm a bit put off by the character choice (mostly because Flareon's walk cycle is adorable :3), and Flareon might actually break even because of its apparently higher attack, but w/e. And I also wish there was a short autoscroller room or something so you could play around and show off more of the awful physics :( I'm probably wasting my time complaining about a bootleg game, though. Obviously the people who made it didn't care much to make it TASable, nor playable :P Anyway, voting yes. Nice job :)
Oh, is Flareon suboptimal? I voted yes as well. I enjoyed watching this.
AntyMew
It/Its
Encoder, Player (35)
Ford wrote:
Oh, is Flareon suboptimal?
I don't know. All I know is that switching characters wastes frames at the beginning.
Just a Mew! 〜 It/She ΘΔ 〜
Experienced player (630)
Anty-Lemon wrote:
Ford wrote:
Oh, is Flareon suboptimal?
I don't know. All I know is that switching characters wastes frames at the beginning.
Flareon and Psyduck have the same amount of damage, while Pichu and Abra have much weaker attacks.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
I enjoyed this. A bit boring, but the glitches and the fast speed that comes with jumping make up for that. Yes vote!
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
Still looks to me like it could have more damage boosting. Movement makes no sense now, lol. Voting meh.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
Spikestuff: Any additional feedback? Do you find more of the internal gameplay can be improved significantly? How do you feel about replacing the movie file with your improvement?
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Nach wrote:
Spikestuff: Any additional feedback? Do you find more of the internal gameplay can be improved significantly? How do you feel about replacing the movie file with your improvement?
- Nope - Nope - Perfectly fine with it. I've done it a few times with Dimon's TASes.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Experienced player (630)
I just want to thank all the feedback this submission got, it really motivates me to do more and to continue on my paused projects. Wonder why this is taking so long though... no pressures or anything but it's the shortest submission after all.
Active player (469)
Kurabupengin wrote:
I just want to thank all the feedback this submission got, it really motivates me to do more and to continue on my paused projects. Wonder why this is taking so long though... no pressures or anything but it's the shortest submission after all.
Voting,Rating,Publishing takes time, dont worry too much on how long it takes. my Luigi submission took months to finally publish. Great work Kurabupengin, keep up the good work (lets see you do a non-bootleg game and get some more quality submissions in)!
Experienced player (630)
Are you sure about that solarplex? The Luigi run was a GameCube one... But this is a Gameboy submission.
Active player (469)
Kurabupengin wrote:
Are you sure about that solarplex? The Luigi run was a GameCube one... But this is a Gameboy submission.
There's an NES submission that is still in workbench. As well as got4n's wii submission. So yeah, I wouldnt worry about submissions and just work on submitting!
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2724] GBC Pokémon: Platinum Edition by dekutony in 02:23.67
Experienced player (630)
YYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
So why was this done on VBA?
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Skilled player (1705)
In dekutony's first published run, watch as he abuses glitches in the game to increase the FPS and fall through walls, beating it in a brisk 2 minutes and 23.67 seconds.
What does that even mean? Create more lag? :|
Experienced player (630)
I think it means that the framerate sets to 60 instead of 30 or 23.
Editor, Expert player (2001)
jlun2 wrote:
In dekutony's first published run, watch as he abuses glitches in the game to increase the FPS and fall through walls, beating it in a brisk 2 minutes and 23.67 seconds.
What does that even mean? Create more lag? :|
The B button glitch literally speeds up the game, thus increasing the FPS.
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
Experienced player (630)
I posted my published TAS on Nicovideo last month, and right now it has over 10k views!!! Holy crap this is so amazing!!! Link to video