This movie attempts to complete Metroid as fast as possible without fighting either one of the minibosses. I use the door glitch twice and Up+A once. I collect the Maru Mari, 30 Missiles, and Ice Beam (no Bombs.)
It is about 3:15 faster than ziplock's test movie. I tied Zoizite's 865 timeunits in the final shaft (FCE Ultra's frame counter is essential for mastering the technique there.)
I will respond in the Workbench Forum to whatever.

DeHackEd: Very nicely done. The people have spoken.
I'll publish it in a few hours by obsoleting your old video.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #490: Arc's NES Metroid "no minibosses" in 11:45.42
Editor, Active player (296)
Does this movie aim for same category as some existing movie? Or is it a new branch? So many Metroid movies...
Arc
Editor, Experienced player (768)
Its goal is different from the others - to fight neither miniboss.
Emulator Coder
Nicely done. Makes you wonder what the original coders would think if they ever saw this performed back when they made the game :P
Former player
11:45! Man, I knew it would be fast, but...bravo!
¡¡¡a no-boss run!!!!!!!.i watched it, is very good. of course i voted yes
I am a Mega Man fan that hates Megaman X8.
Former player
I love the alternate method you used in Brinstar to get through the first area you need the Maru Mari without hiding behind that zoomer the whole way. At first I thought I had some weird desynch :) And you sure beat the hell out of Tourian with some seriously limited resources - love the way you blazed through it. And congrats again for the speed. It's now the fastest Metroid movie available. I can't believe the any% run is going to be faster.
Player (70)
WOW! This was very nicley pulled off. Amazing. Got a YES from me ofcourse.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [278] NES Metroid by Arc in 11:45.42
Why did this movie obsolete Arc's other movie? This one uses a restart sequence, but the one it obsoletes doesn't.
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
hopper wrote:
Why did this movie obsolete Arc's other movie? This one uses a restart sequence, but the one it obsoletes doesn't.
I'll reply with a quote that perhaps enlightens the situation.
#nesvideos IRC channel wrote:
1357#nesvideos.dan_ I honestly see no need to have 4 NES Metroid movies published 1358#nesvideos.Zerstorung well...NES metroid is popular 1358#NESVideos.KaitouKid I say publish that badass suitless 100% run and then whatever the shortest at any given time is. 1358#nesvideos.Zerstorung not much more to say about it 1358#nesvideos.dan_ I like the idea of 'as fast as possible' and '100% completion' 1359#nesvideos.dan_ The '1 item' run was pretty fun to watch, though 1359#nesvideos.dan_ But another variation seems like overkill 1358#nesvideos@Bisqwit Yes, I also think there's no need to create every possible variation of Metroid 1359#nesvideos@Bisqwit Which is in concord with my previous statement that I prefer depth, not width, in the list of movies on my site 1359#nesvideos@Bisqwit Improvements, not alternate versions 1716#nesvideos.DeHackEd it looked like it... I'm seriously considering publishing it... but I'm not sure whether to put it in a whole new "Category" (Arc says it should be) or obsolete one of the movies. 1740#nesvideos.DeHackEd Bisqwit: seen the metroid video? I liked it, but am torn as to what category to put it in. Arc wants it to be seperated from the rest. 1741#nesvideos@Bisqwit Dehacked: It's faster than the current Arc's published video, so I'd overwrite it. However, it's probable that there will be another coming. 1742#nesvideos@Bisqwit Dehacked: In 10 seconds, I came up with a thought that whatever becomes fastest will overwrite the current fastest movie, and these "extra curiosity" videos can be linked from in the movie text (no avi). 1742#nesvideos.DeHackEd so blow away the old one... easy enough. I should have the AVI in about 20 minutes. 1745#nesvideos@Bisqwit I'm not sure it's the right solution though 1745#nesvideos@Bisqwit But I can't see why. 1745#nesvideos@Bisqwit why not. 1746#nesvideos.TNSe metroid has so many options 1746#nesvideos.TNSe and 'sequence' breakers 1747#nesvideos.TNSe its not like mario which has warps 1747#nesvideos.TNSe but it's similar 1747#nesvideos.TNSe metroid has lowest % 1747#nesvideos.TNSe fastest any% 1747#nesvideos.TNSe and 100% 1747#nesvideos.TNSe arc did a no boss any% 1748#nesvideos.TNSe it happens to be fastest any% :P 1748#nesvideos.TNSe but only due to the reset 1749#nesvideos.TNSe megaman has no-damage and fastest possible 1749#nesvideos.TNSe mario warpless and fastest 1751#nesvideos.TNSe mmx has 100% 1751#nesvideos.TNSe but I don't think anyone even considers no-damage runs on that 2213#nesvideos@NesVideoAgent Post edited by DeHackEd (#490: Arc's NES Metroid in 11:45): http://tasvideos.org/forum/p/21800#21800 2215#nesvideos.Arc it shouldn't replace my other one 2216#nesvideos.DeHackEd You want to make a new category for it? Minibosses vs without? 2216#nesvideos.MadHatter uh-oh 2216#nesvideos.MadHatter methinks Bisqwit shoulda been consulted first then to get things ready for this 2217#nesvideos.MadHatter just to make it go smooth now 2217#nesvideos.MadHatter but first 2217#nesvideos.MadHatter time to view the godliness ^^ 2217#nesvideos.Arc the specific limitation of the movie is no miniboss fights 2217#nesvideos.DeHackEd <Bisqwit> Dehacked: It's faster than the current Arc's published video, so I'd overwrite it. However, it's probable that there will be another coming. 2217#nesvideos.DeHackEd <Bisqwit> Dehacked: In 10 seconds, I came up with a thought that whatever becomes fastest will overwrite the current fastest movie, and these "extra curiosity" videos can be linked from in the movie text (no avi). 2217#nesvideos.DeHackEd we did 2220#nesvideos.DeHackEd I'll just make the AVI now and wait for Bisqwit to wake up before publishing it. 0617#nesvideos.DeHackEd Woohoo! *** You are no longer marked as being away 0618#nesvideos@Bisqwit Well hello 0618#nesvideos.DeHackEd oh, good morning. 0619#nesvideos@Bisqwit yo. 0619#nesvideos.DeHackEd Had a slight argument with Arc over the placement of his video. You want to obsolete the old one, arc doesn't. 0620#nesvideos@Bisqwit I didn't see any argument 0621#nesvideos.DeHackEd it was quite short.. starts after NesVideoAgent says I editted the submission. 0621#nesvideos@Bisqwit I see 0622#nesvideos@Bisqwit I'm disappointed he didn't reply to my quote 0622#nesvideos.DeHackEd which is that? 0624#nesvideos@Bisqwit The one that ended the conversation. 0635#nesvideos.DeHackEd I'll be ready to publish it in just a few minutes. I still don't know what I should do with it... 0644#nesvideos@Bisqwit When Genisto played the princess-only SMB2 movie that beat my any-player SMB2 movie, it obsoleted it, even though his any-player movie was coming later 0644#nesvideos.DeHackEd One obsoletion coming right up! 0647#nesvideos.DeHackEd There's 3 metroid movies... 0649#nesvideos@NesVideoAgent Post edited by DeHackEd (#490: Arc's NES Metroid in 11:45): http://tasvideos.org/forum/p/21800#21800 0649#nesvideos@NesVideoAgent New reply by NesVideoAgent (Re: #490: Arc's NES Metroid in 11:45): http://tasvideos.org/forum/p/21889 (Movie published) 0654#nesvideos.bobwhoops That obsoletion was incorrect in my opinion. Either reject it or keep both, but obsoletion doesn't make sense in this case 0658#nesvideos.Nrg well.. that was also a long time ago. ideas may have changed since then 0700#nesvideos.bobwhoops I find it quite strange that we have all kinds of runs for Metroid, but no regular beaten as fast as possible now... 0739#nesvideos@NesVideoAgent New reply by hopper (Re: #490: Arc's NES Metroid in 11:45): http://tasvideos.org/forum/p/21890
Former player
Just out of curiosity, when Arc's any% run comes out, will that obselete this (I hear it's going to be faster)
Holy moly, Arc, that's just *GREAT*. ^_^
Fair enough, but why wouldn't it obsolete AP's suitless run, since they both use a restart sequence and aim to demonstrate a novelty (in this case avoding the mini-bosses and acquiring only the ice beam) rather than to break the record for a time attack on this game? This run could probably even be hex edited to be a suitless run so that it still looks like a demonstration of a novelty.
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
Because zoizite's run is notable for getting only one item (namely, the Maru Mari). This run is "just" a general speedrun without any constraints; the fact that it doesn't kill either miniboss is mostly to save time. Being able to show an interesting novelty is just a nice side-effect.
Former player
schneelocke wrote:
This run is "just" a general speedrun without any constraints;
Not exactly true - it's been speculated that Arc's recently obseleted any% run would be faster than this run using restarts. I understand he is working on remake of the previous run using restarts which will undoubtedly be faster than this. It was always understood that anyone could easily beat Arc's time using restarts, but the movies would be compared as "If Arc had used restarts, would it be slower than this recent submission?" Well, if Arc had used restarts in the recently obseleted movie, it would have been faster than this. In a nutshell, I think a slower movie just obseleted a faster one simply by using restarts. The trek back from the five missile cluster alone, not to mention needing to use the door glitch again to get back down would take at least 2 minutes. When Zoizite's 1% run came out, it was faster than Arc's any% run, but it didn't obselete it for 2 reasons: 1) It used restarts. 2) It added a new category. This is the precisely the same. Therefore, if Zoizite's movie didn't obselete Arc's, I don't see why this one did (unless it's because it's the same author). We'll see what happens when the any% run using the original route and restarts is submitted. Until then, it doesn't really matter. It's already done.
Emulator Coder
-ziplock- wrote:
senseful and smart comment
I agree.
Former player
-ziplock- wrote:
Therefore, if Zoizite's movie didn't obselete Arc's, I don't see why this one did (unless it's because it's the same author).
I would guess that this is the only reason they obsoleted the current run.
I agree with -ziplock-. A slower run has obsoleted a faster one, and there is no longer an any% run that doesn't use a restart sequence. What happens if a faster no restart movie is submitted now? Surely we have to at least have separate categories for "uses restart" and "does not use restart". If you then want to have a third movie that shows off something special, such as the no-item suitless run, or this no-miniboss run, then let that one be the third.
Former player
hopper wrote:
Surely we have to at least have separate categories for "uses restart" and "does not use restart".
If we did that we might as well have glitch runs and no-glitch runs. I just don't see the point for both.
The problem I see in widening the offering of available movies is that the number of seeders doesn't grow at the same speed, yet the seeders' number of seeded movies stays approximately the same. Which means, every time we add a new movie (not obsoleting some of the olders), the chances of a random download being seeded just gets a bit worse. And also, listing more movies [of the same game / of different games] clutters the list and makes the really impressive movies harder to find.
Former player
Bisqwit wrote:
And also, listing more movies [of the same game / of different games] clutters the list and makes the really impressive movies harder to find.
I don't think that that is a valid argument. Stop accepting the not really impressive movies then. I'd rather have two good metroid runs than one good metroid run and a run for some other game that in only decent.
That's why I recommended no more than three for Metroid (which is what we have). It just seems strange to obsolete a brilliant any% run with a run that would be slower except that it used a restart sequence. I think Arc was trying to do the same thing AP was doing with the suitless run, which is demonstrate something challenging that you could technically do, but wouldn't if your goal was to produce the lowest possible completion time. We're not going to allow 3+, or even necessarily 2 movies for every single game. As Bob said, reject the boring ones and make the occasional exception, to a reasonable maximum of 2 or 3, for movies that are particularly good, just as we always have.
I am sorry about posting it here, but I'm not sure where else it should go. I am trying to download the AVI file, but am getting "rejected by tracker" messages with both BitTorrent and BitTornado.
Former player
Try downloading the files again. There was a problem with the naming of the files, so Bisqwit went and renamed them. If it doesn't work now, wait a bit and then try again.