Post subject: Prizes needed for AGDQ 2015 TASBot block
Moderator, Senior Ambassador, Experienced player (898)
As you may know, several years ago the folks over at SDA started a yearly charity marathon now known as Awesome Games Done Quick and AGDQ 2014 (which we participated in) raised more than $1 million in donations for the Prevent Cancer Foundation. As cancer claimed the lives of three of my grandparents when I was young I am motivated to support the AGDQ charity efforts any way I can. As part of this goal I've worked hard to organize the TASBot block for AGDQ 2015 (with massive amounts of help from people like Ilari, Masterjun, p4plus2, micro500, Weatherton, true, and a host of others) and I'm really proud of what we'll be able to show during our ~40 minute TASBot block on 2015-01-04 at 5:05 EST. One of my goals is to bring more attention to TASVideos.org by demonstrating what the site has to offer. Good donation incentives and raffle prizes go a long way toward increasing viewership which will help increase the exposure of the site, and I need your help. Do you have an old copy of Pokemon you'd like to donate as a raffle prize? How about an old console? Perhaps game-themed costumes or plushies in good shape? Any unique things you've been holding on to that you don't really have any need to store any longer? Donate them as raffle prizes during the TASBot block! You'll even get your shipping reimbursed by the Prevent Cancer Foundation, so there's no cost to donate other than the item itself. You can sign up to donate a prize at: https://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/agdq_2015_prizes.html If you have a donation incentive idea or if you are able to donate something for the block, please post about it here. All donations made by viewers watching AGDQ 2015 will go directly to the Prevent Cancer Foundation, so you'll also be helping out a good charity. I'm hoping to see $25k donated by viewers during our 40 minute block and I greatly appreciate anything you can do to help. Thanks in advance!
I was laid off in May 2023 and could use support via Patreon or onetime donations as I work on TASBot Re: and TASBot HD. I'm dwangoAC, part of the senior staff of TASVideos as the Senior Ambassador and BDFL of the TASBot community; I post TAS content on YouTube.com/dwangoAC based on livestreams from Twitch.tv/dwangoAC.
Experienced player (601)
I have a bunch of Nintendo swag from E3 2001 that I think someone may like to have. Things like foam GameCube, GBA, GameCube back back and various press releases. Does that seem interesting? As for a donation incentive. We could have one for adding an extra lap on the Kart 64 Gauntlet. I could have both movie files ready.
Current Project: - Mario Kart 64
Weatherton wrote:
I have a bunch of Nintendo swag from E3 2001 that I think someone may like to have. Things like foam GameCube, GBA, GameCube back back and various press releases. Does that seem interesting?
Ummm.. I think so? I can't quite tell what this all is, to be honest. :) Feel free to take some pictures and submit it, the worst they will say is no thank you.
Weatherton wrote:
As for a donation incentive. We could have one for adding an extra lap on the Kart 64 Gauntlet. I could have both movie files ready.
Oh, I like that (although it does give away that they'll be facing a different number of laps, but I think that's OK). I've asked for the runs to be split and make you and micro500 the runner, so it makes sense for you to post directly in the donation incentives thread yourself (for the Pokemon Red and the "bonus" game we're still working on I'll handle posting). Thanks!
I was laid off in May 2023 and could use support via Patreon or onetime donations as I work on TASBot Re: and TASBot HD. I'm dwangoAC, part of the senior staff of TASVideos as the Senior Ambassador and BDFL of the TASBot community; I post TAS content on YouTube.com/dwangoAC based on livestreams from Twitch.tv/dwangoAC.
Skyekun
He/Him
Could there be an incentive for the SM64 120 run? I'd donate to that.
Current Projects Viewtiful Joe - Adults any% (FIRST TAS!) Future Projects Viewtiful Joe 2 - Adults any% Viewtiful Joe 2 - 36 Chambers any% Maybe something Ultra V-Rated if there's a demand.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2284)
Skyekun wrote:
Estimate: 40 minutes 120 Stars: 1:20:41 How 'bout no.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Spikestuff wrote:
Skyekun wrote:
Estimate: 40 minutes 120 Stars: 1:20:41 How 'bout no.
Heh - that generally sums it up. For donation incentives, it'd have to fit more or less inside our allocated time. Last time we tried doing a bid war between two games but it generated very little interest, in part because I think people wanted to see both of them or didn't really care very strongly which one got shown in the first place. :) Someone said jokingly "If we reach a target donation amount, Tompa will TAS a game" (OK, that wasn't a direct quote, and OK, it was actually Tompa himself who said it, but I digress). I'm amused by this suggestion. I haven't entirely given up on the idea of speed TASing off-stream, i.e. at the end of our block we announce the name of a game and a deadline to TAS it (like, a short deadline, around 4 hours), and then after the deadline just have an announcement on stream of the result, I can possibly talk the organizers into that, but it's a longshot and I have a lot of other things to get in place before I can even consider that. Still, it could be fun...
Editor, Experienced player (608)
dwangoAC wrote:
I haven't entirely given up on the idea of speed TASing off-stream, i.e. at the end of our block we announce the name of a game and a deadline to TAS it (like, a short deadline, around 4 hours), and then after the deadline just have an announcement on stream of the result, I can possibly talk the organizers into that, but it's a longshot and I have a lot of other things to get in place before I can even consider that.
Could you have someone read the announcement during the setup of inFamous: Festival of Blood (~4 hours later)? There won't be any speedruns happening during that 8-minute period and at least one person should be free (not setting something up) to read off the results.
Skyekun
He/Him
Aw darn, just wishful thinking. What would be a good incentive for the TAS block...? Hm, how about a brief interview with some of the experienced TASers? Questions like "How did you get involved into making TAS?" "What's the easiest part of a TAS project? What's the hardest?" "Is there anything you would like to say to newcomers trying to get involved?"
Current Projects Viewtiful Joe - Adults any% (FIRST TAS!) Future Projects Viewtiful Joe 2 - Adults any% Viewtiful Joe 2 - 36 Chambers any% Maybe something Ultra V-Rated if there's a demand.
Skyekun wrote:
Hm, how about a brief interview with some of the experienced TASers? Questions like "How did you get involved into making TAS?" "What's the easiest part of a TAS project? What's the hardest?" "Is there anything you would like to say to newcomers trying to get involved?"
Er... heh, I'm concerned people would pay money for us to *not* hog the camera to answer those questions. :) Usually donation incentives are for things like "Play x on the hardest difficulty" or "pick the character name" but I'm still pondering what that might look like for a TAS block... At any rate, thanks for the ideas!
Experienced player (601)
dwangoAC, to clarify on my donation incentive suggestion. The standard Gauntlet race will be 4 laps. The incentive could be for 5 laps.
Current Project: - Mario Kart 64
Editor, Player (44)
I think it'd be funnier if people cross the finish line and then realise they haven't won. (Sadly, the way I think Mario Kart's lap counter works, it'd be obvious when you didn't go onto lap 2 after lap 1 had "finished".)
Post subject: Prize submission deadline has passed
The submission deadline for prizes has come and gone but I'm aware of a couple of people who submitted prizes from TASVideos. My own submissions are: https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/prize/788 - a really awesome Pikachu mask: https://gamesdonequick.com/tracker/prize/789 - A nifty Hyrule crest pouch: I'm glad to be able to contribute these as prizes and I think the Pikachu mask will fit in well. In other news, I'm head-down on finalizing the payload for the total control segment of the run and I hope to be able to have something finalized in the next couple of days, although inevitably there will be tweaks until the last hour like there always are. :) Thanks again to everyone for the support!