(Link to video)
Ys: The Vanished Omens is the first in a long series of role-playing games. Young swordsman Adol Christin has arrived in the town of Minea, only to find that a great evil is sweeping the land. He must seek out the six books of Ys and use the knowledge they contain to defeat the evil forces.
But after our hero visits a nearby shop, the shopkeeper decides he likes him and gives him his personal copies of all the books of Ys to complete his quest.

About the run

• Emulator used: BizHawk 1.9.1
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
  • Abuses major skip glitch
  • Skips final boss
  • Corrupts memory
  • Genre: RPG
I started this after seeing the SDA run while updating the SDARunsWithoutAPublishedTAS page. It seemed like a fun run to make, so I made it my first TAS of the new year.
A copy of these comments is included in the bk2 file's Comments.txt for your convenience.
Subtitles are also included in the movie file (best viewed at 3x Window Size) and the encode. A subtitle file, which allows for a 2 second publisher intro, is available here [dead link removed].

The Mirror Glitch

Pim's Pawn Shop Mirror Glitch is triggered when the player buys a mirror (there's only one for sale), attempts to buy it at least two more times, and then leaves the store. The game will usually crash, though sometimes it will also soft reset, hard reset (which forces BizHawk to reboot the core), jump to a random glitched room, or warp to the credits.
This glitch has been known since at least 2009. However, the setup for skipping to the credits was apparently found by Twitch speedrunner Nudua.

Memory Addresses

In-depth comments

I start out by pressing 1 to start the game. 1 and 2 start the game equally fast.
Walking controls are very responsive. Pressing any D-Pad button for one frame will move Adol one pixel in that direction on the same frame you pressed it.
You can do "corner boosts", but they will only move Adol out of an object at his normal walking speed, so they aren't any faster or slower to perform. I do them anyway because I think they look cool.
For the glitch to warp to the credits, the overworld screen needs to be in a certain position. Specifically, it needs to be within a one-tile (8-pixel) range both horizontally and vertically. I move the screen to the edge of that range. Not moving the screen down far enough usually causes a soft or hard reset, and not moving it left far enough warps you to a small blue room.
Opening the menu is also necessary for the credits warp. It can be opened anytime before you enter the shop, but the frame you open it on can affect the outcome of the glitch.
Selection arrows in this game don't have the "wraparound" behavior of arrows in newer RPGs like Pokémon and Paper Mario, so I have to move down to every option.
Inside the shop, the 2 button selects and the 1 button goes back a page. You can press 1 instead of 2 on some screens to change the outcome of the glitch. Like with Kirby's Adventure, different input causes different outcomes.
Like how you can only walk in 4 directions, you unfortunately can't speed up the shop menuing with diagonal input. However, you can press 2 at the same time as a directional button to select options as you're scrolling to them.
Attempting to buy a mirror the third time is what specifically causes the warp to the credits. I found that I didn't need to waste any frames with the glitch setup I had, since it would've ended up slower.

Possible improvements

It's always possible that triggering the glitch through a different sequence of events could allow the credits to be reached faster. The most likely place to change things up would be outside the shop, where different screen positions can do anything from warping you to different locations to increasing your energy and level. I tested a few different screen positions, but I didn't find anything useful.

Suggested screenshots

1008, 1031

Thanks to

• KrazyRasmus for making the SDA run, which brought the game and route to my attention
  • Hikaruon, Frenom and Patashu for their helpful posts in the Ys thread
  • Red Hairdo on this forum for the correct spelling of the shop owner's name
  • The BizHawk devs for making SMSHawk
  • You, for watching

feos: Even though the votes are relatively positive, actual feedback matched the overall look of its run: it's one of those boring "game end glitch" runs that put a shadow of doubt towards having other run of this kind in Moons at all. So while those indeed look bizarre, and entertaining because of that, this one has no content that might surprise the viewer, except for the very fact that credits glitch is possible so early. Accepting to Vault.
Spikestuff: Yoink~

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2284)
Definitely mine to publish if the subs are provided (Which they are). Voting Yes.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Synahel
She/Her
Former player
Was wondering if someone was going to do that (and was wondering why i didn't do it myself). Thanks for that !
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
In the menu do you press Down, nothing, Down etc.? Have you tried using diagonals to scroll? Down+Left, Down, Down+Right or something like that.
Editor, Experienced player (894)
My, what a selfless shopkeeper! Yes vote.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Just loudly thinking. On the bases of this, game end glitch would be appropriate to have for a branch.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
Spikestuff wrote:
On the bases of this, game end glitch would be appropriate to have for a branch.
lol you mean it wasn’t already obvious that this should be labeled as such?
Spikestuff
They/Them
ALAKTORN wrote:
Spikestuff wrote:
On the bases of this, game end glitch would be appropriate to have for a branch.
lol you mean it wasn’t already obvious that this should be labeled as such?
Well, there is no branch in the title yet.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Thanks for all the comments, everyone!
ALAKTORN wrote:
In the menu do you press Down, nothing, Down etc.? Have you tried using diagonals to scroll? Down+Left, Down, Down+Right or something like that.
I hadn't, but it's a good idea. EDIT: I just tested it and it didn't seem to work. I don't think this game recognizes diagonal input, which is a shame, as it would've sped up the walking in the beginning.
Spikestuff wrote:
Just loudly thinking. On the bases of this, game end glitch would be appropriate to have for a branch.
There's also this one, which I noticed during the Awards. Does that mean it's okay for Vault runs to have that branch? It might not matter for this movie though, depending on where it gets published.
Spikestuff
They/Them
CoolKirby wrote:
Does that mean it's okay for Vault runs to have that branch? It might not matter for this movie though.
Yup. Nope. Because the one I mentioned doesn't have a full TAS and it holds the branch.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
ars4326
He/Him
Experienced player (764)
Well I'll be... All of these RPG heroes (Crono, Adol, they boy from Secret of Mana) are learning how to do things the easy way by just glitching their way to saving the world! No more earning your way by level grinding, fetch quests, and cutscene showdowns with 5+ versions of the final boss--no, sir! *cue Cranky Kong rant about the good ole' days* In all seriousness, I'm surprised an Y's game had such a game-end glitch, let alone so early in the game. I think this marks the 1st SMS game-end glitch run :) Have you thought about running other Y's games? Y's III for the SNES could definitely use a good run here.
"But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." - 1 Corinthians 2:9
Joe
Is it possible in any of the PC Engine iterations? Mainly for their sweet, sweet soundtracks.
Skilled player (1705)
Uh...you slowly wander around a shop, enter it, and game ends. Sorry, no vote. Also hard reset causes BizHawk to reboot the core? How often did that occur and how frustrating was it?
Sorry, but I had to vote meh. Don't get me wrong, it's quite interesting from a technical point of view. But entertainment-wise, it's very boring, IMO.
Should most of the game end glitch runs be vault tier? They're usually over before anything really happens, but almost all of them are moons. Why should Kirby SS or this run be any different than Battletoads, Mega Man, SML2, or any other quick game end glitch run? Were they just given moon tier because at the time it was a new thing?
Joe
Lord_Yoshi wrote:
Should most of the game end glitch runs be vault tier?
Yeah, I'm sorta of the same mind on this. I can see some game end glitch runs being entertaining simply because the glitch itself is so visually bizarre, but most of the time they seem strictly vault-worthy. This run is no exception. Astounding on a technical level but not really entertaining to watch. Also, I forgot that the PC Engine version is attached to the second game so that would be impossible to duplicate--at best it would just start the Book 2 portion.
Well that was uninteresting. Voted meh for technical quality, but I'd rather see a regular run, even if it's vault tier.
Yes vote for the fact it exists and works and seems like it is repeatable for others if they really wanted to. Entertaining for the game end glitch and amusement it brings but none at all for the actual game. Would think vault Sadly it lacks the same amusement that an old video had where the player dug for the game goal grail thing on the first tile and instantly won the game, so would still keep that one high on the list of fun to watch instant wins.
Enjoys speedruns but hasn't actually tried making any yet.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Synahel wrote:
Thanks for that !
You're welcome!
ars4326 wrote:
Have you thought about running other Y's games? Y's III for the SNES could definitely use a good run here.
I enjoyed reading your comment, ars4326. I was thinking about doing a full run of this game or Ys III next. From the little I played, Ys I seems like a fun game and it might be a nice change of pace to TAS a 2D RPG. The unique method of attack in the Ys series could be fun to optimize too.
jlun2 wrote:
Also hard reset causes BizHawk to reboot the core? How often did that occur and how frustrating was it?
Around 10 times, I think. What's nice about it, though, was that the movie kept recording, despite the window going black and shrinking to 1x before switching back to 3x. It could have been an intended feature, like how BizHawk can record resets in movies.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2763] SMS Ys: The Vanished Omens "game end glitch" by CoolKirby in 00:17.46