(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page

Introduction

This is the fastest completion of Super Mario Bros.Deluxe the hack of Super Mario World not well known. This beats the previous TAS (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A1nGWggkT4) in 3 minutes 3 seconds and 11 frames.
This hack was taken by Peter_Ac and you can find it here: [dead link removed]
The all apologize for the sound to be late, but it was something I tried to fix but unfortunately could not.

Games Objectives

• Emulator used: Snes9x 1.51 v7
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Abuses programming errors
  • Uses warps

Glitches used:

• stun glitch
  • 6/5
  • 1/1
  • -1 trick
  • hooping glitch
  • Corner clipping

Level by level comments

1-1

No change.

1-2

Keeping the speed of the passage 49 before entering the invisible saved tube 1 second.

4-1

Going with 6/5 to the tubes allowed not to lose p-meter and has come out with speed 49 after the last tube.

4-2

No change.

8-1

Taking the green hull in the early phase, allows killing the plants bitch and go with speed 49 the whole stage without having to stop to jump over them.

8-2

Same procedure as 8-1. Go with 6/5 to the hull, caught it, and then you can kill the piranha plant, so that you need not stop stop jumping on it.

8-3

Going with 6/5 to the tube, not to lose p-meter, and has come out with speed 49 after him.

8-4

Taking the hull, allowed to, on the water, winning 13 seconds of advantage and even in the last part could kill the hammer brother and earn p-meter, saving over 1 second.

9-1

Taking Yoshi before that stage, possible to make the stun glitch (read here: GameResources/SNES/SuperMarioWorld#StunnedSprites ) saving 7 seconds.

9-2

Same procedure as 9-1. Making stun glitch and saving over 5 seconds.

9-3

Going with the Yoshi and off, saving 1 second.

9-4

Going with the Yoshi and off, saving over 1 second.

0-1

No change.

0-2

Running a wall jump on the left wall and not needing to get the mushroom, saved over 2 seconds and a few frames.

0-3

Making stun glitch and saving over 16 seconds.

0-4

Much of the improvement of this race takes place here. Made the stun glitch that stage activated the credits, which allowed power skip Bowser battle, in which saved more than 3 minutes.

Nach: In order for a hack to be acceptable, it has to be exceptional, and also show off bits of the game engine that aren't demonstrated well in other publications for a game and its hacks. There should also be unique content that is interesting.
As far as Super Mario World's rich feature-set is concerned, the game tries hard to exclude much of it, as its focus is to recreate an earlier Super Mario game which doesn't have the features added to later games within the franchise. This mostly leaves the game as showing off what would it be like to play Super Mario Bros. with some mechanics of later games, without any of the notable features they have, not something I think anyone was really dying to know. I'm also not convinced there isn't a way to unlock some of those features (using various glitches/flaws) to actually complete this somewhat faster.
The levels in this game for the most part are levels which are already well known elsewhere, and beaten to death. As a hack this doesn't provide much in the way of new content. The new levels are barely seen, and for the parts that are shown, appear to be unimaginative.
The play in the run while probably close to optimal unless a way to unlock certain features is abused, doesn't always appear to be solid, which should always be avoided in a TAS. Audience feedback also wasn't great. This hack looks to be a bad game choice, and combined with low entertainment, rejecting.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4563: IgorOliveira666's SNES Unknown Game "warps" in 11:02.71
Editor
It's an interesting hack. But should it be published? I don't know. Maby?
When TAS does Quake 1, SDA will declare war. The Prince doth arrive he doth please.
Pokota
He/Him
The hack itself is just a recreation of SMB1 in SMW. While interesting from a standpoint of "What would SMB1 look like with SMW TAS strats", the SMW engine doesn't handle these comparatively lightweight levels well - and it looks like it also doesn't do warp pipe splitting properly, either. It is possible to warp from 1 to 3 or from 4 to 6? Also spin jumps kinda destroy most of the difficulty of SMB1 anyway.
Adventures in Lua When did I get a vest?
Won't vote since I haven't watched it, but isn't Bizhawk the emulator of choice now? Or lsnes? Which means this should be rejected for incorrect emulator usage.
This guy are sick.
Patashu
He/Him
Daniel, Lord Bahamut wrote:
Won't vote since I haven't watched it, but isn't Bizhawk the emulator of choice now? Or lsnes? Which means this should be rejected for incorrect emulator usage.
Snes9x 1.5x is also accepted, even though it's not as accurate it's accurate enough to be a good alternative for people who don't have fast enough computers to run lsnes/etc
My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu My twitch. I stream mostly shmups & rhythm games http://twitch.tv/patashu My youtube, again shmups and rhythm games and misc stuff: http://youtube.com/user/patashu
Oh, so just 1.43 is no longer allowed. Very good. Carry on.
This guy are sick.
Going with meh for this, as much the stuff after world 8 is kind of interesting since using Yoshi to glitch the level completion, but even that felt a bit weak in this game compared to the longer string of stuff in Super Mario World to cause the glitches. The fact its just the all too familiar Super Mario Bros. levels as the original just makes this boring to watch, I know how its going to go and it went as expected, but even then it felt weak with the way the flagpole didn't work etc. just made this feel like a weak alternative to watching the actual game. Graphics are nice I guess but that's about it. I guess the problem here is more the lackluster rom compared to the run itself, you tried to make it look interesting but the rom is mostly just a pallet swap in the end of the day. Completely unimpressive compared to roms like Super Demo World which I would enjoy seeing more of such quality roms for sure.
Enjoys speedruns but hasn't actually tried making any yet.
billybobfred
Other
Ragnarokia wrote:
I guess the problem here is more the lackluster rom compared to the run itself, you tried to make it look interesting but the rom is mostly just a pallet swap in the end of the day. Completely unimpressive compared to roms like Super Demo World which I would enjoy seeing more of such quality roms for sure.
Yeah. I actually really like the idea, but the hack needs serious polish. (Musical glitches in the level-completion routine, of all places?)
I'm just a spectator. There was a time when I tried to participate, but I'm really lazy, so. she/her/hers
Editor, Experienced player (608)
The run was played pretty well; there were some clever tricks used to get through harder stages (with shells) and the Yoshi tricks were entertaining too. However, I'm not sure about the quality of the hack. There are some problems with the implementation of the music and map screen, and loading times. Voting Meh for hack choice.
Emulator Coder
Location: In his lab studying psychology to find new ways to torture TASers and forumers
What exactly was going on with the impediment at the beginning of 8-4?
Warning: Opinions expressed by Nach or others in this post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or position of Nach himself on the matter(s) being discussed therein.
GoddessMaria
She/Her
Reviewer, Experienced player (849)
My very thoughts exactly. It struck me as odd when I saw that which made me wonder what purpose did that serve. As for the run itself, it was okay, I guess. Had mixed feelings up until the bit after World 8. Withholding my vote for now.
Current projects: failing at life
Editor, Skilled player (1409)
Nach wrote:
I believe it was the only way to get full P-Meter before the pipe.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVoUfT49xN9TU-gDMHv57sw Projects: SMW 96 exit. SDW any%, with Amaraticando. SMA2 SMW small only Kaizo Mario World 3
Experienced player (526)
Nach wrote:
This was the fastest way to achieve p-meter.
Active player (263)
Firstly, congratulations on your finished run. It's rare to see an SMW TASer finish something. :p This run looks quite solid from an optimization point of view! I was happy to see stun bug being used outside of vanilla smw. There may be few micro-optimizations you have missed but outside of a few frames here and there, it's negligible. I'm unsure about your entertainment choices. In 9-3 you took to flying through the entire level. It's a short level anyway but it has opportunity for more entertaining route. Actually when you get the cape (tanooki suit? I don't know) it seems you take the lazy option through levels sometimes which can be avoided. I was also confused about the use of shells in 8-1 and 8-2, as well as killing the blooper underwater in 8-4. I see that the blooper is killed to save lag now. You should write these in the description I guess. Obviously lastly the hack choice. It's a shame because you seem really talented and you chose such a hack to run. It seems from a TASers point of view, this hack is very restrictive. You broke out of a few levels via Yoshi glitches but for the most part it seems we're confined to a "run to the right" scenario in all levels. For this reason I'm voting no. Your technical ability is good but I don't think this hack fully allows you to express that. Good luck with future work.
Retired smw-96, smw any%
Player (172)
The run itself looks made well but rather boring. I guess the main part of this run is the stun glitch part, which looks very nice, but the preceding part is the classic left-to-right type. So I wonder if there's a better game where we can perform stun glitches without a long boring part (I don't think having only stun glitch is so attractive that it can get viewers' interest, though). What I couldn't read from description is:
  • Is it really faster to enter the pipe at 1-1?
  • Do we really need a shell at 8-1 and 8-2? Can we dodge plants as you did in 4-1?
  • Why did you release the shell in the watery area of 8-4?
  • Is it impossible to avoid 6/5 at 9-4?
  • I believe you could go with better entertainment choice. Especially at 9-3. Flying outside of the screen is the worst choice in my opinion.
That's all. I wish they were explained in your description. Comparison with a seven-year-old run which has no documentation is by no means helpful.
Retired because of that deletion event. Projects (WIP RIP): VIP3 all-exits "almost capeless yoshiless", VIP2 all-exits, TSRP2 "normal run"
dnnzao
He/Him
Former player
Voting "Meh" because: This hack, for TASing for posting on TASvideos isn't good, it's very limited and it's nothing "new" compared to SDW or other hacks. But you did a good job on improvements and you have a future, so you can keep on the good work and keep improving yourself.
sorry my bad english... - Finished projects: Super Demo World any% - SMW Hack - Dropped projecs: Super Demo World All Exits - SMW Hack Super Mario World All Exits
Editor, Skilled player (1409)
Mister wrote:
The run itself looks made well but rather boring. I guess the main part of this run is the stun glitch part, which looks very nice, but the preceding part is the classic left-to-right type. So I wonder if there's a better game where we can perform stun glitches without a long boring part (I don't think having only stun glitch is so attractive that it can get viewers' interest, though). What I couldn't read from description is:
  • Do we really need a shell at 8-1 and 8-2? Can we dodge plants as you did in 4-1?
  • I believe you could go with better entertainment choice. Especially at 9-3. Flying outside of the screen is the worst choice in my opinion.
That's all. I wish they were explained in your description. Comparison with a seven-year-old run which has no documentation is by no means helpful.
If I remember correctly, entering in the pipe in 1-1 saved really few frames, but it was still faster. And at least in 8-1 I can remember getting the shell was faster than avoiding the plants. Igor probably will have better answers to those questions, thought. And this hack edited how caped Mario works: When pressing A or B, Mario's vertical speed is even lower, and it lasts longer, making it impossible to avoid the blocks where the 'Balls in chains' were in. That's why he 6/5 in the castle.
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVoUfT49xN9TU-gDMHv57sw Projects: SMW 96 exit. SDW any%, with Amaraticando. SMA2 SMW small only Kaizo Mario World 3
Experienced player (526)
Mister wrote:
Well I will explain: In 8-1 is yes faster into the pipe. It is 13 frames faster if I'm not mistaken. In the 8-1 / 8-2 is yes actually faster, because if I did the same in the 4-1 I would have to go the whole stage 6/5, which would lose some frames, for, taking the shell I could go the the rest of the stage 49 velocity. At 8-4 I let the shell to kill the sprite because it was not going to lag 8 or 9 frames. Furthermore only did not win lag because I was above the stage. If I had gone under, would have won lag, even killing the sprite. At 9-4 I went with 6/5 because if it was with speed 49, further ahead in step (on the pass between the blocks) the Mario floating and could not pass between the blocks. In 9-3 if I remember correctly gave some lag frames if underneath. Well that's it.
xRavenXP
He/Him
A bit interesting run (at least for me)... yes vote!
I love games and love to record videos (longplays). Visit my Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/xRavenXP
Those hacks can be so funny and yet so interesting. The lost life music right at the end just made me burst out laughing. Yes vote.
A side note: This hack's title should be "Super Mario Bros. Enhanced". Peter_ac changed its name a few years ago to avoid confusion with the GBC game. Sources: http://rh.pac.am/hacks.php His site (links broken, but you can compare it to a web archive and see the name change) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kxv5NpdcQ8 Youtube video on his channel http://www.smwcentral.net/?p=showhack&id=5875 Updated download link submitted by him citing the name change The only change I believe is to the title screen, so everything should still sync.
Player (172)
IgorOliveira666 wrote:
Mister wrote:
Well I will explain: In 8-1 is yes faster into the pipe. It is 13 frames faster if I'm not mistaken. In the 8-1 / 8-2 is yes actually faster, because if I did the same in the 4-1 I would have to go the whole stage 6/5, which would lose some frames, for, taking the shell I could go the the rest of the stage 49 velocity. At 8-4 I let the shell to kill the sprite because it was not going to lag 8 or 9 frames. Furthermore only did not win lag because I was above the stage. If I had gone under, would have won lag, even killing the sprite. At 9-4 I went with 6/5 because if it was with speed 49, further ahead in step (on the pass between the blocks) the Mario floating and could not pass between the blocks. In 9-3 if I remember correctly gave some lag frames if underneath. Well that's it.
Thank you for your explanation! I quick-tested around, and I noticed that the red "balls" in 9-4 can hurt yoshi, so now it seems impossible to 49-hop there. For 8-4, however, I didn't see such much lag there, but only had 2-4 frames of lag (I am willing to post a test movie for your information if you need). Maybe you didn't have to release the shell, I guess. Umm I'm not complaining about improvability at all. I've learned the hack's physics and I've tested a few parts myself. I realize further that you did really good work. Still, I doubt if it's worth being published, so no vote from me. I'm looking forward to your next project where you can show your full potential.
Retired because of that deletion event. Projects (WIP RIP): VIP3 all-exits "almost capeless yoshiless", VIP2 all-exits, TSRP2 "normal run"
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, bitter!