Post subject: Initializing / clearing SRAM of FDS roms correctly?
MESHUGGAH
Other
Skilled player (1888)
I want to TAS a few FDS (famicom) games but I couldn't find how to remove left-overs / save files from the rom itself. The movie rules says I should make a verification movie to show it syncs from a clear save, which would mean I need to start the movie from power on, delete the save files, create new saves (depending on player count) and then start it. For whatever arbitrary reason, I got vastly different results. For example in Dirty Pair, I'm forced to wait an extra 500~1500 frames that I could easily skip when using the left-over save file (which has absolutely no affect on starting the game / playing the game apart from score points / no different cutscene). Question is, how do I magically hex edit it out of the FDS rom? The other question is, does the verification movie is allowed to have way much longer frame delays before starting the game? Because now it doesn't looks like the way I eject and insert disks is "verified" this way. edit: forgot to say that I can't even save the rom with clear save files, it loads back the left-over data (using FCEUX 2.2.2) edit2: with help of adelikat, here's my Matou no Houkai "cleaning" attempt (not approved method?): 1. start the ROM 2. use the game's own menu to delete it 3. launch the game to save the SRAM part (can't verify if that's the only thing it does) 4. start a fm2 movie with bit 2 on the very first frame to use "power-on" otherwise it uses the left-over one. edit3: for those who don't follow IRC, rules dictates you are supposed to have a clean FDS rom with no save file made by someone else in order to submit a "valid" movie file. "poopy" situation. edit4: wrote down some stuffs about saves here: Wiki: GameResources/NES/DirtyPairProjectEden
PhD in TASing 🎓 speedrun enthusiast ❤🚷🔥 white hat hacker ▓ black box tester ░ censorships and rules...