Submission Text Full Submission Page
I wasn't expecting to submit this before AF day, but then I thought this isn't enough AF material, so I decided to submit it now.
This is a finished TAS of Super Mario Special 3, a Game Boy Color bootleg version of the classic Super Mario Bros. 3. A port of the original game??? COOL! 5 seconds later you begin to realize how awful the game is, and you smash your Game Boy with a hammer afterwards.

About the game:

Awful game. AWFUL AWFUL GAME RIGHT HERE. This bootleg game was made by Yong Yong, you know, the same people that made the even MORE awful Sonic Adventure 7 and Pokémon Adventure... yeah, it's that bad. The game's assets are stolen from Mario 3 and uses a modified broken engine like those 2 games I mentioned earlier. So you know right from the start that this is going to be an experience that you'll never forget. Oh yeah, for some reason you can choose what stage to play, me chose the final stage for obvious reasons.

About the TAS:

I TASed this game last year after my third failed submission. Then I redid the entire thing from scratch, now on the newest BizHawk (I used VBA on the previous one), with more experience and better optimization. I managed to improve 3 seconds from my last attempt, which is a notable improvement for this short movie.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: BizHawk 1.9.2
  • Abuses programming errors
  • Abuses from few glitches
  • Avoids playing through all levels

Comments

Physics

The game has this odd thing where when you stop running, you'll continue to run for some reason, being unable to stop for a few seconds and then die because of that. You can fall trough solid ground too for some reason, and then die. You can't manipulate your jumps until like 5 seconds later and then you'll die too. Enemies can kill you easily because of your crappy controls and their small hitbox. Loads of lag. Lack of useful powerups, etc etc etc.

Tricks

• Invincible low jumps: your first 6-7 frames of jumping will let you avoid contact with enemies, but your jump height is too short to do that all the time.
  • Falling: Falling is faster than jumping, but only on large ground sections.
  • Blocks: To mantain my momentum, I hit the blocks to avoid dying from fireballs.

Addresses:

AddressDomainAction
0205WRAMScreen X Position
0206WRAMScreen Y Position

Screenshot:

• Will put later...
THANKS 4 WATCHING!!!

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4602: dekutony's GBC Super Mario Special 3 in 00:54.61
Post subject: Re: #4602: dekutony's GBC Super Mario Special 3 in 00:54.62
Editor, Expert player (2001)
dekutony wrote:
Awful game. AWFUL AWFUL GAME RIGHT HERE.
Meh vote.
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
Active player (405)
There's only one level!?
Guga
He/Him
Heisanevilgenius wrote:
There's only one level!?
Oh yeah, for some reason you can choose what stage to play, me chose the final stage for obvious reasons.
That was literally the longest minute I have ever gone through... I vote meh just because of the lack of game there is to this... game... It made it some-what uninteresting.
Can't wait until people start TASing the multitude of badly programmed flash game half-clones of other games. They count so long as they're Chinese, right?
Guga
He/Him
Tangent wrote:
They count so long as they're Chinese, right?
They count as long as they did exist; as far as I know, bootleg games did physically exist as cartridge.
voting no. Terrible game.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Guga wrote:
Heisanevilgenius wrote:
There's only one level!?
Oh yeah, for some reason you can choose what stage to play, me chose the final stage for obvious reasons.
Based on this point I'm gonna say this should be rejected for a single level TAS. But effort on caring about this TAS atm.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Fortranm
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (775)
Meh. The jumping sound effect is ear-raping.
Active player (372)
My ears, my poor ears!! Because it had a level select, I'm okay with the single level for the TAS. But because of how painful this is to watch (and listen to) I would say this goes in the vault. Meh vote.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Man, that was hard to listen to. I liked your movement in the run though; you managed to make the controls look okay. It's less than a minute, and I did watch it through, so I'm voting Meh.
Former player
The level select sounds like a debug feature, I don't think it should be used in a TAS. How long would this game be without it?
Current project: Gex 3 any% Paused: Gex 64 any% There are no N64 emulators. Just SM64 emulators with hacky support for all the other games.
Guga
He/Him
Spikestuff wrote:
Based on this point I'm gonna say this should be rejected for a single level TAS. But effort on caring about this TAS atm.
[2364] GBC Rockman DX3 by Noxxa in 00:25.40
negative_seven
She/Her
Active player (354)
I managed to save 41 frames over this movie. Maybe more time could be saved, I didn't work on it for too long.
Dekutony, I have one question, I saw you jumped at some place to pop up, for example, a star... But didn't use the star... why jump if running is faster?
Player (26)
As the site rules say, "Unlicensed and homebrew games are eligible but may be judged on a game-by-game basis based on their notability." This game appears to fall well short of that standard. Therefore, voting no. (in addition to that, "no vote" because I didn't find the video entertaining, and "no vote" because I don't think level skipping with a debug menu is kosher; so make that a triple no :) )
Active player (372)
andypanther wrote:
The level select sounds like a debug feature, I don't think it should be used in a TAS. How long would this game be without it?
Looking at the world-map, I don't think so. All levels look accessible from the the start square. The spade tile is apparently the last level of the game (not the castle with the 'Help' coming from it). And I know that I'd certainly vote 'no' to a game five times as long as this one. If you think differently, try surviving through this. And then imagine it another 60% longer!
Experienced player (630)
niamek wrote:
Dekutony, I have one question, I saw you jumped at some place to pop up, for example, a star... But didn't use the star... why jump if running is faster?
I needed to do that because If I didn't, the fireballs would kill you at that frame, and I have to slowdown a bit to avoid them. TehSeven, what did you improved exactly?
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Looks at the TAS. Looks at the 41 frame improvement. Loads up meld to compare input. What in the world am I looking at?
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... crunchy!