Of course there haven't been enough submissions of this game.
This is a 33 frame improvement to the previous movie, ignoring different lag frames caused by the emulator change and the fact I ended input earlier rather than at the axe hit (because of emulator differences, ending at axe hit would cause some inconsistancies, but if preferred I can change it).
Note: BizHawk 1.8.3 was the most recent version when I started making the movie, however, it still syncs on 1.9.3.

Glitches and tricks used

Fast acceleration

The fastest way to accelerate at the start of a level and when coming out of a pipe are the inputs: > <> >x4 <>x19. In both of those situations, you are registered as being in the air for one frame - the fastest way to accelerate from a stop otherwise is RA> Rx19 R<>x19.

Walljumping

Like in the NES game, hitting a wall on a boundary between two blocks allows you to jump again.

Right screen scroll

Pressing select scrolls the screen to the right, spawning sprites earlier. This is most useful in 8-4, where you can make Piranha Plants go down faster.

Flagpole subpixel manipulation

Changing your X subpixel when hitting an end of level flagpole can sometimes save or lose 1 frame.

Improvements

World 1-2 (8)

8 frames saved on the turnaround at the end of the level. If you press the opposite direction to the one you're running in and jump on the next frame, then land with an X speed of at least 24 while holding a direction, your speed will be set to 9 in the direction you're holding. I use this to decelerate faster at the warp zone.

World 4-2 (14)

6 frames saved, same as 1-2.

World 8-1 (15):

1 frame saved on the flagpole subpixel.

World 8-2 (17):

2 frames saved on the turnaround near the middle of the level.

World 8-3 (18):

1 frame saved on the flagpole subpixel.

World 8-4 (33):

2 frames saved on each for the first 3 pipes due to entering them faster. 9 frames saved on the first jump in the last room.
Enjoy!
Suggested screenshot: 15358

Noxxa: Judging.
GoddessMaria: Replaced with a 3 frame improvement movie provided by the author.
Noxxa: Good improvement. Accepting as an improvement to the published run.
fsvgm777: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4614: negative_seven's GBC Super Mario Bros. Deluxe in 04:55.99
Experienced player (629)
Me likes it. Me votes yes. Hoping to work on SMS3 soon.
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony
d-feather
He/Him
Sure, it's a 30 frame improvement, but to me, it looks like it's faster than that. Yes vote.
:shrug: I'm more active on Twitter nowadays: @HunterCoates5
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
Cool. 6.5/7
Former player
Good job on the improvement, I love seeing this version getting more optimized! By the way, is there any objective reason why the published TAS of this version has such a lower entertainment rating than the NES version?
Current project: Gex 3 any% Paused: Gex 64 any% There are no N64 emulators. Just SM64 emulators with hacky support for all the other games.
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
andypanther wrote:
By the way, is there any objective reason why the published TAS of this version has such a lower entertainment rating than the NES version?
Visually not as good, looks like a fake copy compared to the nostalgic original. Maybe. Edit: didn’t notice you asked for objective. No? Unless the above are objective, I don’t know how that works.
negative_seven
She/Her
Active player (355)
User movie #21418634582977387 3 more frames saved. Can I have the movie file replaced, please?
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4136)
andypanther wrote:
By the way, is there any objective reason why the published TAS of this version has such a lower entertainment rating than the NES version?
Entertainment is inherently subjective, so an "objective reason" for it would be a contradictio in terminis. But ALAKTORN's post below highlights some probable reasons. In general, nostalgia and/or popularity of a game tend to make runs of them more well liked, and the original SMB is obviously better known and more remembered than SMB Deluxe, which looks like a cheap knockoff in comparison.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
The fact that it mentions saving frames in quantities like 2 and 8 seems to indicate that the NES frame rule doesn't apply here, so in this version you're limited to motions that are in fact frame-perfect, while in NES you can get away with movement that looks cooler but takes a few frames longer, as long as it's not so much longer that you get pushed down beyond the next frame rule. That sounds like a fairly big constraint.
Active player (259)
Mr. Pwnage wrote:
The fact that it mentions saving frames in quantities like 2 and 8 seems to indicate that the NES frame rule doesn't apply here, so in this version you're limited to motions that are in fact frame-perfect, while in NES you can get away with movement that looks cooler but takes a few frames longer, as long as it's not so much longer that you get pushed down beyond the next frame rule. That sounds like a fairly big constraint.
The only frame rule in the any% route is the transition to the warpzone area in 4-2. As to why they chose there of all places, who knows?
Current TAS: [SNES] Jelly Boy [NES] Street Fighter 2010
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2810] GBC Super Mario Bros. Deluxe "warps" by negative seven in 04:55.99
this one is less entertaining because you can't pass through walls.