Donkey Kong 5 - The Journey of Over Time and Space is an unlicensed Game Boy Color game created by Taiwanese developer Sintax. It is based on a glitchy platforming engine that allows Donkey Kong to hover through the air. It also has a very badly translated story.

Objectives

• Emulator used: BizHawk 1.9.1
  • Aims to beat the game as fast as possible
  • Abuses glitches to save time

Story

The pretty and virtuous girl Sodoma was Donkey Kong's friend, she was the spirit what charge of all the plant in the world, she distributed sunlight air and water to each plant everyday, so that they could grow up healthy and strongly......
But the lombado lived in the darksome comer didn't like the darksome comer didn't like the world full of green grass and bloomy flower. So the evil lonbado abducted Sodoma, to amest the growth of the life. From then on......
The flower bloomed no longer, and the tree blasted slowly...... the banana and the wild fruit the Donkey Kong loved had been lacked too. The world became desolate at once......
There were no any thing to eat, Donkey Kong felt very hungry, and the famine made him thinner and thinner, finally he became a monkey.
The poor Donkey Kong can but left the forest, begun his difficult journey to search for food and save Sodoma.

Tricks Used

Hovering

After collecting one powerup, pressing B while in the air puts Donkey Kong into a semi-ground state that lowers his falling speed and also allows him to move faster in the air. Without hovering, Donkey Kong slows down significantly after falling for a short amount of time.

Credits

• Yoshipro101 for routing the game for single segment, for asking me to TAS this game in the first place, and for having WR
  • icykittenz for actually running this game like twice
  • Zephyrz for making me finally finish this TAS
  • Me for TASing this game for some reason and for finding hovering

Noxxa: Judging.
Noxxa: This game shows off everything that's wrong with bootleg games: ripped off level designs, bad gameplay, clunky controls, an oft-reused game engine, weird premises, stolen background graphics, poor sprites, stolen and very unfitting music, plenty of Engrish, and an equally weird and unintentionally hilarious ending (even though the author's encode truncated it). Despite (or thanks to) these factors, it makes for a reasonably TASable game.
The run's quality itself seems to be good enough. Accepting for the Vault.
Guga: Processing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
z1mb0bw4y
She/Her
I'm surprised how long it took me to realize that this was just a poorly made super mario bros 1 clone. Yes vote because it's short enough to not outstay its welcome and the game is hilariously bad
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Mario Bros. Clone. . . Being a Mario Bros clone there is one question that needs to be answered. Is there any point to becoming DK when you were fine as going through it as Diddy Kong? Also you managed to create lag frames (when hovering?). Voting No (on entertainment), it's a Mario Bros port only the ending level(s) are different to the fast route of Mario Bros. But I also think that TAS needs to be completely revised and done again.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Twisted_Eye
He/Him
Active player (332)
Wow. What WASN'T stolen from somewhere else? Mario Bros 1 levels, DK graphics, Pokemon Pinball music, a spinning animation that looks like it came out of a Tazmanian Devil game, it's got it all. I don't think this really fits on the site considering how much is just copied.
k80may
He/Him
Player (64)
Spikestuff wrote:
Is there any point to becoming DK when you were fine as going through it as Diddy Kong?
Becoming DK allows you to turn into a tornado after running for a short amount of time (which makes you move significantly faster) and also allows you to hover.
Spikestuff wrote:
Also you managed to create lag frames (when hovering?).
Creating lag frames while hovering is something that can't be avoided because of this game being poorly made. If you noticed in the second level when the two armadillos were on-screen, the game lagged a ton simply because it's this game.
I appreciate that you took the time to make a tool-assisted speedrun of my passion.
Experienced player (630)
Go DK! Go expand more dong! I vote yes, from what I've seen, this is very optimal for a Sintax game which I was going to TAS after Digimon Fight, but you saved me time to do it myself. In terms of time saves, the lag frames in this game are severe and unavoidable, and being a Mario clone with completely different physics and controls... so I don't see any problem publishing this game.
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I thought that was a pretty hilariously bad game. (However, I'm actually amused by The Cheetahmen for a while, so I may have bad taste about these things.) The funniest enemies were the skater ducks from Duck Tales in 8-2 that stand in for hammer brothers. Ironically, with such a glitchy game, it doesn't look like you had a separate "flagpole" glitch for getting through those poles faster. Great job having the temp encode end when DK is making creepy eyebrow gestures at the girl, and then the credits say "Donkey Kong came". This looks fairly solid to me given the quality of the game. I'm voting Yes. Nice job!
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Fortranm
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (775)
Looks like the background sprites are from The Planet of Apes on GBC, which is released in 2002, one year after the same title was released on GBA!
Joe
mklip2001 wrote:
Great job having the temp encode end when DK is making creepy eyebrow gestures at the girl, and then the credits say "Donkey Kong came".
That definitely made me laugh out loud. Apparently all the credits sequence needed was the words "Donkey Kong came" Then cut to the main menu.
k80may
He/Him
Player (64)
Joe wrote:
mklip2001 wrote:
Great job having the temp encode end when DK is making creepy eyebrow gestures at the girl, and then the credits say "Donkey Kong came".
That definitely made me laugh out loud. Apparently all the credits sequence needed was the words "Donkey Kong came" Then cut to the main menu.
They go on longer, but I felt like it was funnier to just cut them there
Player (57)
What the frick is this game?
The entertainment came from the game and game of the alone it did, so no for the entertainment but still okay sprint so maybe
EgixBacon
He/Him
Player (181)
Darn you, bestial Dankey Kang. Yes dong vote.
FanFiction|Youtube Still on Win7! Take that, Microsoft!
Techokami
He/Him
Amazing thing. The story is full of "WAT" and the contents are just anything and everything thrown into a blender. Those hockey ducks are from Ducktales or something, I swear! Also, ace cut on the ending. Yes vote!
Player (12)
Voting no because of how bad this bootleg is. Ripped-off level design, graphics and audio combined with terrible physics, all mixed up in a way that don't blend together. Even just looking at this submission, it's quite clear that the same repetitive actions are done to beat the game in an optimized way without any semblance of challenge. The only entertaining part of this game is the nonsensical story and the absurdity of the whole thing, which is completely irrelevant for a speedrun, and yet looking at the positive comments so far it seems it's the only thing that caught interest. It's the gameplay that matters for a TAS, and it's horrible here. If what you care about is the presentation, go watch a Let's Play - it's gonna be more entertaining for you.
ventuz
He/Him
Player (123)
Look like bootleg game, multiple asset stolen from other games. However, it's short and ending made me laugh. "Donkey Kong came" I don't know what to put, meh or no.. going with meh.
d-feather
He/Him
This game is one heck of an enigma. With the level design copied from Super Mario Bros., the sounds and music stolen from Pokémon Pinball, the graphics stolen from several other games, and the ending being "Donkey Kong came"... I have no clue what is going on, but it forced me to give a Yes vote because of that ending.
:shrug: I'm more active on Twitter nowadays: @HunterCoates5
z1mb0bw4y
She/Her
SmashManiac wrote:
Voting no because of how bad this bootleg is. Ripped-off level design, graphics and audio combined with terrible physics, all mixed up in a way that don't blend together. Even just looking at this submission, it's quite clear that the same repetitive actions are done to beat the game in an optimized way without any semblance of challenge. The only entertaining part of this game is the nonsensical story and the absurdity of the whole thing, which is completely irrelevant for a speedrun, and yet looking at the positive comments so far it seems it's the only thing that caught interest. It's the gameplay that matters for a TAS, and it's horrible here. If what you care about is the presentation, go watch a Let's Play - it's gonna be more entertaining for you.
You're right, because we don't have any poor, unfinished, short, clone runs on tasvideos.
Editor, Player (68)
SmashManiac wrote:
It's the gameplay that matters for a TAS
Bullshit. Otherwise glitch-to-end, ACE and Zelda runs wouldn't be accepted here.
true on twitch - lsnes windows builds 20230425 - the date this site is buried
Zarmakuizz
He/Him
I though this was Kurabupengin's TAS.
Ford
He/Him
The ending made it for me. TBH, I actually appreciated how much it ripped off other games (disgusting as said rip-offs were). Voting yes because why the hell not? Toss in in vault because reasons.
Experienced player (630)
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony
k80may
He/Him
Player (64)
Kurabupengin wrote:
This is so incredible
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2829] GBC Donkey Kong 5: The Journey of Over Time and Space by k80may in 04:48.54