This movie improves on the old TAS by 700 frames (11.67 seconds) and uses a new shortcut as well as faster stage intro skips.
  • Emulator used: Bizhawk 1.9.1
  • Plays on hardest difficulty
  • Uses a password

Comments

Super Monkey Ball Jr. is notorious for the bad controls and even worse physics. If you've seen the other monkey ball movies on the site, you may have noticed that moving diagonally is faster than going straight, and getting bounces into the air gives you more speed. Naturally, the exact opposite of both are true for this game. Any airtime will slow you down, and going diagonally does not save time.
A password is used to access the Master stages from power-on. (Down, Down, Up, Up, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A)
Each floor has an intro where the stage is viewed from afar. These intros can all be skipped by pressing A, but this movie uses a bug where the intro is skipped before it even begins. By getting the exact right frame, the game loads the stage before the intro scene is shown.

Stage by stage comments

Floor 1

Nothing new here. I optimized the ending as much as possible, cutting corners as close as I could without getting bumps.

Floor 2

Nothing new here either. More optimization, all three clips are perfectly flat and no time is lost by being hit upwards.

Floor 3

The two shortcuts were improved to lose less speed. The final turn no longer slows down to finish the floor.

Floor 4

Completely new shortcut here that skips straight to the goal! Saves a ton of time over previous movies.

Floor 5

Nothing new here. All gaps were crossed with as little upward bounce as possible.

Other comments

I'm now certain that no more possible shortcuts are possible for this game. All intro skips and level transitions are perfect as far as I'm aware, and all five floors are optimized to the best of my abilities. I don't see anyone improving on this movie (mainly because nobody will ever bother)
Screenshot suggestions: 3573, 4376, 4639, 5349
Thank you Spikestuff for fixing the previous movie file.

Truncated: I'll handle this.

Truncated: This looks good. It's faster than previous attempts, and not just because of the stage introductions, all of the levels are improved as well. Using a password is fine to access a higher difficulty. It's short and viewer reception was positive, so I am accepting this and suggesting that it goes to moons.
fsvgm777: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4665: Silverbawxer's GBA Super Monkey Ball Jr. "Master" in 01:52.11
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
You could've waited for a moderator to replace your file.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Player (145)
Sorry I had no idea that was possible.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Sorry about the delay, but I finally checked this out. It's a short and sweet run. Good shortcuts. I'm sort of surprised the game has this few levels. Nice job!
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Shouldn't you start from expert mode?
Player (145)
Antronach wrote:
Beating Expert and the extra stages don't let you continue on to Master in this game. Also I think most people wouldn't find a full 30 stages of this game entertaining enough to watch.
Silverbawxer wrote:
Antronach wrote:
Beating Expert and the extra stages don't let you continue on to Master in this game. Also I think most people wouldn't find a full 30 stages of this game entertaining enough to watch.
At the very least it could be a vault video. The version of Exam C in Jr's still pretty crazy and quite a few of the original stages are as technical as the Master stages.
Player (145)
People have given feedback that a TAS of expert mode for this game is too long and not entertaining enough to accept. But I would love to make one and see what you think :P
Silverbawxer wrote:
Antronach wrote:
I for one would like to see every single level TASed. :D If it's too long, one can simply skip to the harder levels while viewing the TAS
fsvgm777
She/Her
Senior Publisher, Player (221)
I noticed that you skip the credits and instantly go to the name entry screen. Normally, the full credits are shown, though I do notice that you do enter a name after skipping the credits, so... yeah. EDIT: Actually, it seems like there has been some precedence with skipping the credits in at least this publication, so I'm going to assume it's fine.
Steam Community page - Cohost profile Oh, I'm just a concerned observer.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Nice to see a TAS from you, Silverbawxer. Good work on this run, I liked the skips. Late yes vote!
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2832] GBA Super Monkey Ball Jr. "Master" by Silverbawxer in 01:52.11