Submission Text Full Submission Page
Resident Evil 2 story takes place two months after the events of the first game, Resident Evil. It is set in Raccoon City, an American community whose residents have been transformed into zombies by the T-virus, a biological weapon developed by the pharmaceutical company Umbrella. In their escape from the city, the two protagonists, Leon S. Kennedy and Claire Redfield, encounter other survivors, and are confronted by William Birkin, the mutated creator of the even more powerful G-virus.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: Dolphin 4.0-6029
  • CD ID: GHAE08

Comments

My first attempt
Yes/No trick
  • You can press "Yes" after 14 frames, if you move cursor to "No" (2 frames), then back to "Yes" (2 frames), "Yes" will become usable after 4 frames, totally 8 frames. This isn't working only on computer menu in main hall and when you pick up item
Quick shooting
  • [dead link removed]

Noxxa: Judging.
Noxxa: Rejecting for being suboptimal in many areas, as noted by multiple people in the discussion thread (including a real-time runner of the game).

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4683: Gfx's GC Resident Evil 2 "Leon A" in 48:21.55
Well done!
No.
I enjoyed it. Surprised that the 180 turn didn't get used as much as I would've imagined, but I trust your judgment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_Z5cgXToOk Edit: Specifically, about 1:05 into your run, you've already lost the slight advantage you had over the real time run by letting a cutscene play out way longer than you needed to. http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=F49j-d1mXVI&start1=18&video2=U_Z5cgXToOk&start2=7 You gain it back again, but that's a pretty obvious sign from the start that it's not well optimized. The PS version is useful for comparisons too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWAZI-zogN8 The only significant difference between the two (besides graphics) is that you can skip cutscenes on the Gamecube.
Gfx
He/Him
Sorry for my bad English
Tangent wrote:
Specifically, about 1:05 into your run, you've already lost the slight advantage you had over the real time run by letting a cutscene play out way longer than you needed to. .
I tried to skip this cutscene, but then zombie opened the door for longer
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
2842 rerecords for a 48 minutes run? Yeah… no.
ALAKTORN wrote:
2842 rerecords for a 48 minutes run? Yeah… no.
To be fair, if you remove the loading screen door transitions, that cuts off around 30 minutes, if not slightly more. ...Which is still way too few rerecords, not to mention no excuse for being behind the real time run at barely just over a minute in. I'm not even sure the time spent to set auto aiming was necessary. I know it's generally frowned upon (or at least was a while ago) by regular speedrunners and there are generally very few shots fired in an RE speedrun anyway, so sacrificing a few seconds to set it instead of using the manual aiming seems very questionable unless I'm forgetting something about the game.
Gfx
He/Him
Tangent wrote:
I'm not even sure the time spent to set auto aiming was necessary.
In japanese version auto-aim turned on by default.
Tangent wrote:
I know it's generally frowned upon (or at least was a while ago) by regular speedrunners and there are generally very few shots fired in an RE speedrun anyway, so sacrificing a few seconds to set it instead of using the manual aiming seems very questionable unless I'm forgetting something about the game.
What are you saying, all speedrunners play with enabled auto-aim
looks good and efficient to me, would have preferred a bit more description / notes on the submission for any decisions taken during it / things to keep an eye on. But as it stands it was enjoyable to watch and seems like a great finish time. Looking at the list of submissions there doesn't seem to be a RE2 run which is actually up since previous ones just got rejected, so this definitely deserves the place, if people want to complain about things they think aren't optimised enough then go and improve them and beat the time like normal. We need to at least have the base movie to improve on rather than just rejecting whatever comes up.
Enjoys speedruns but hasn't actually tried making any yet.
Ragnarokia wrote:
looks good and efficient to me, would have preferred a bit more description / notes on the submission for any decisions taken during it / things to keep an eye on. But as it stands it was enjoyable to watch and seems like a great finish time. Looking at the list of submissions there doesn't seem to be a RE2 run which is actually up since previous ones just got rejected, so this definitely deserves the place, if people want to complain about things they think aren't optimised enough then go and improve them and beat the time like normal. We need to at least have the base movie to improve on rather than just rejecting whatever comes up.
I don't think "remembers to skip cutscenes at the earliest possible time" is too much optimization to ask for in a run that's over 50% loading screns and 40% "walk from point A to point B with no obstacles in the way." It's not an isolated problem either. He's a couple seconds slow to skip the one at 27:30 too (jumped to a random spot in the middle to spot check, 29:50 in the comparison version I posted above). It needs another pass and to pay a lot more attention to those kinds of simple things. Edit: Here's another section that's noticeably slower than the real time run. It doesn't look like luck there was manipulated at all. This is what it should look like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWAZI-zogN8&#t=46m10s
Tangent wrote:
Ragnarokia wrote:
I don't think "remembers to skip cutscenes at the earliest possible time" is too much optimization to ask for in a run that's over 50% loading screns and 40% "walk from point A to point B with no obstacles in the way." It's not an isolated problem either. He's a couple seconds slow to skip the one at 27:30 too (jumped to a random spot in the middle to spot check, 29:50 in the comparison version I posted above). It needs another pass and to pay a lot more attention to those kinds of simple things. Edit: Here's another section that's noticeably slower than the real time run. It doesn't look like luck there was manipulated at all. This is what it should look like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWAZI-zogN8&#t=46m10s
Ah well pointed out there. Sadly I lack the materials / knowledge of how to properly check through these and just watch the video and get a feel for if it looks well optimised or not, sort of being the inexperienced but interested viewers perspective hehe. Since the way he stood still and had the boss constantly spawn at one pointed I figured his position kept him safe and therefore that was a sign of knowing the game, without noticing it made the boss attack slower. This definitely could do with better optimisation then. Also Noticing the upload of Claire B I think these two should be submitted as one video, one leading on to the next. If this did get rejected for these issues then I hope it won't be long until someone does end up making a run that does earn the spot. As not having the game on here does still feel a little strange since others in the series are present.
Enjoys speedruns but hasn't actually tried making any yet.
This TAS is highly unoptimized. I can already tell from the first 10 minutes. There is no manipulation of enemy HP tables or Stun tables; the basketball court knockback wasn't done with a downward shot (or in one shot). Aiming downward saves a couple of frames before firing, every time you draw the weapon. He also does not make any attempt to dodge the zombie in the 2F main hall of the police station. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWAZI-zogN8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6IbM50bmLg The runs should be done on the Japanese version, since the Japanese version has more optimal enemy patterns. If someone who is fluent in Japanese could talk to Jikkachan and Yodoru about submitting their input files (Jikkachan can be reached on YouTube, he checks his comments, but I have never spoken to Yodaru), then these are the ones that should be accepted. As for what to do about "B" scenario files, I can tell you that the RE2 community creates "setup files" for the B scenarios. You are required to use the cable on the East side of the police station, and required to leave Marvin alive for the optimal setup file. Obviously, dirty S-RAM, but I think an exception should be made for Biohazard 2. Japanese and American players do it anyway since it requires you to make a save file to play them.
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
I can ask Jikka about it next time I catch him streaming.
Gfx
He/Him
Carcinogen wrote:
He also does not make any attempt to dodge the zombie in the 2F main hall of the police station.
In japanese version only 1 zombie on 2F main hall and he stands back to player, in us version 2 zombies, both walk, dodging them just a time wasting
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... crunchy!