After finishing my NSMB's hack, I decided to improve NSMB "warpless" run again. Last time, I haven't played NSMB yet before TASing it. So there are many improvable improvements. But now, I've played this game once and once again. And know more about it. So TASv2 is much better.
  • This run beats v1 6011 frames. About 1 minute 40 seconds.
Emulator used: DeSmuME 0.9.7 (Bus-Level Timing is OFF)

Goal:

• warpless (But allowed to skips some levels. Such as smb3 "warpless")
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Uses death as a shortcut

Emulator's version:

I used the same emulator as published run. For 2 reasons.
1stly, to show improvement better. Because there are fewer lag frames in newest 0.9.10.
2ndly, due to starting RNG. I tried some RNG in 1-1 (with 0.9.10). But no one is the best... So I copied published run's 1-1 (with 0.9.7). And improved it.

Used tools:

NSMBe is an NSMB's editor. So it can show you every level's map. And it helps me a lot in 5-tower and 7-castle - let me think up a new way to complete the level faster.

Level-By-Level Notes:

World 1:

1-1: -1 frame.
Use starman better.
1-2: -21 frames.
Use a wallkick after getting fire flower. More corner boosting and better starman running.
Map: +4 frames.
Due to longer red ? block movement. But shorter later.
1-Tower: -17 frames.
Arive to the boss door faster.
Map: -20 frames.
Shorter movement.
1-4: -17 frames.
Longer sliding.
Map: -45 frames.
Shorter movement.
1-5: -2 frames.
1-Castle: -10 frames.
  • Total in W1: 129 frames saved.

World 2:

2-1: -1 frame.
More corner boosting.
Map: -57 frames.
2-2: -5 frames.
Map: -20 frames.
2-3: -109 frames.
In 2nd view. Get the initial speed earlier. Running instead of sliding on 1*1 slope.
In 3rd view. Use ground pound to get speedup.
In 4th view. Small wallkick make Mario speedup faster.
2-A: +45 frames.
Use more frames to get a fire flower item.
2-Castle: -138 frames.
In 1st view. Much more corner boosting.
In 2nd view. Use item got in 2-A. (Don't need decrease speed) More wallkick to speedup. Enter boss door earlier.
  • Total in W2: 285 frames saved.

World 3:

3-1: -595 frames.
Blue shell helps Mario swim faster. And more corner boosting.
Map: -104 frames.
3-2: -4 frames.
Map: -2 frames.
3-B: -4 frames.
To manipulate red ? block's movement. I didn't use corner boosting in this level. To decrease the number of double-jump.
Map: -82 frames.
3-C: -1 frame.
Map: -86 frames.
3-Castle: -512 frames.
In 1st view. Take damage to save time many times.
In 2nd view(Boss fighting). Better RNG to manipulate boss into jumping out of water earlier. Even the earliest...
  • Total in W3: 1390 frames saved.

World 5:

This is my hatest world! Because RNG changes all the time. I can't test the number I want before TAS... And 5-Tower is auto scroll level. I have to jump ahead of the screen and get a right RNG at the same time. F*ck!
5-1: 0 frame.
I'm sorry that it still need 6 more frames to beat 366 timer.
5-2: -3 frames.
5-Tower: -888 frames.
Huge improvement... Use Fire Mario this time. Beat Bowser Jr quicker. Also, Fire Mario can speed up earlier than Blue Shell after kicking wall. And this helps me to jump ahead of the screen earlier.
Map: +104 frames.
Red ? Block cost frames. But saves more frames in 5-Tower.
5-B: +80 frames.
Getting Blue shell item cost frames.
Map: -100 frames.
5-Castle: -105 frames.
In 1st view. 21 frames saved.
In 2nd view. 84 frames saved. Beat boss at the first time each time... Not easy...
  • Total in W5: 912 frames saved.

World 7:

7-1: -84 frames.
Jump onto cloud platform earlier. And other small improvements.
7-Ghost: -236 frames.
In 1st view. 23 frames saved. Fall directly after pounding ? switch block at the far left. Avoid getting up after pounding.
In 2nd view. 84 frames saved. Use a walljump instead.
In 3rd view. 129 frames saved. Wallkick instead of climbing the vine.
Map: -12 frames.
7-Tower: -47 frames.
It's faster but stone block platform and Bowser Jr cost some frames...
Map: -33 frames.
7-4: -29 frames.
Map: -33 frames.
7-Castle: -2582 frames.
In 1st view. 2595 frames saved. After midway point. Mario runs without green snake block. Use a spacekick (Maybe it's a bug) to arive at boss door.
In 2nd view. 13 frames lost. There are some small improvements. But it costs more frames to clear more time.
  • Total in W7: 3056 frames saved.

World 8:

World 8 is really hard for me. Warped record has been perfect. Both the least time and the best RNG... But I lost some time to get the RNG I want... So sorry... But it's faster than last warpless run. And 8-final is faster than warped run!
8-1: 0 frame.
Map: -32 frames.
8-2: +6 frames.
Worse RNG to manipulate enemies' movement...
Map: -32 frames.
8-Tower 1: +61 frames.
Cost time to double-jump more times to manipulate RNG. But save more time in next level.
8-3: -101 frames.
In 1st view. 94 frames saved. Get blue shell like warped run.
In 2nd view. 7 frames saved.
8-4: -32 frames.
8-Castle: -12 frames.
Map: -25 frames.
8-5: -8 frames.
There is 1 fewer frame than warped run in 1st view (Due to trible-jump). But 2 frames lost due to more lag...╮(╯▽╰)╭
8-6: -1 frame.
Map: -10 frames.
8-7: 0 frame.
Map: -5 frames.
8-8: -18 frames.
Map: -3 frames.
8-Tower2: -11 frames.
Midway point before... -9 frames. Speedup earlier after wallkick.
Map: -4 frames.
8-Final: -10 frames
10 frames saved in 5th view. Use a wallkick to speed up faster.
  • Total in W8: 239 frames saved.

Suggested screenshots:

Frame 95487, 95788

Nach: I find some parts of this run questionable, but overall, it was very good. Great audience response. Accepting as improvement to existing run.
feos: Pub. I'll try to backport HiRes to this old desmume, hold on.....................

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4700: Soig's DS New Super Mario Bros. "warpless" in 41:19.80
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Assuming no encode will be provided Link to video Edit: Well the encode has been provided by the author, I uploaded a Main Screen version. So pick your poison I guess.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
Excitement! I was hoping a NSMB run would come along sometime. Gonna watch now, editing my post with comments later. Edit: That was really good. I liked the Death Abuse in 8-F2. Does the current wapred publication do that? Yes vote.
Skilled player (1706)
I would've made a comment about emulator choice, but then DS emulation seems...inaccurate in general in my experience, so there's that. Awaiting encode.
Soig
He/Him
Skilled player (1477)
scrimpeh wrote:
I liked the Death Abuse in 8-F2? Does the current wapred publication do that?
Yes. World 8 is similiar with warped run.
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
Soig wrote:
scrimpeh wrote:
I liked the Death Abuse in 8-F2? Does the current wapred publication do that?
Yes. World 8 is similiar with warped run.
Ah, I see. Very nice run, anyhow.
Eszik
He/Him
Loved this run, really entertaining! Especially 5-Tower and 7-Castle. Obvious yes vote for this new run of one of my favourite games :D (still waiting for the 100% TAS c:) Btw, is there any place where I can find resources about this game? For example you talk a lot about corner boosting, how does it work exactly?
I problably made mistakes, sorry for my bad English, I'm French :v
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
Hmm… weren’t a few of our users working on a run of this? I wonder how it compares.
ALAKTORN wrote:
Hmm… weren’t a few of our users working on a run of this? I wonder how it compares.
In a word, no. http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3933&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=300
Post subject: Spikestuff to slow
Editor, Skilled player (1505)
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
I think this is a faster strat for 2-castle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei23BQi2-BA (16:02) Probably 2 seconds faster
Lakitu is the only person to follow a BLJ :D My English is bad .....
Soig
He/Him
Skilled player (1477)
Sorry for my delayed encode... I submitted my run at the first time after finishing it. And thanks to Spikestuff's encode! EDIT: Replaced to a better video encoded by Spikestuff.
TheLaQuiTu wrote:
I think this is a faster strat for 2-castle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei23BQi2-BA (16:02) Probably 2 seconds faster
Oh, I've watched that. And I've seen some bugs which I didn't know. And some faster way which I didn't think up. And I learned that it allows big Mario to kick the pipe after getting out of it. Thank you for showing me that video. And look forward to that 100% run will be submitted in someday.
Eszik wrote:
Btw, is there any place where I can find resources about this game? For example you talk a lot about corner boosting, how does it work exactly?
Here isNSMB resource in this site. It seems that corner boosting resource is glitched... But you can learn it from smb3 resource. But it called ceiling boosting in smb3...
Yes vote from me. Now I will sit back, and eagerly await the 100% TAS.
Ford
He/Him
Man, that TAS was as smooth as this Cognac I'm drinking!
Just a comment on your submission text: the latest version of DeSmuME is 0.9.11.
TASing or playing back a DOS game? Make sure your files match the archive at RGB Classic Games.
Soig
He/Him
Skilled player (1477)
hopper wrote:
Just a comment on your submission text: the latest version of DeSmuME is 0.9.11.
Yes, I know. I wrote this text in last year. And I have not used .11 yet. So I don't know how .11 is. Then I didn't correct that mistake before submitting it. Sorry.
GoddessMaria
She/Her
Reviewer, Experienced player (849)
Very nice work on the improvement to the previous warpless submission, Soig! I was entertained watching this. Yes vote!
Current projects: failing at life
Editor, Player (44)
Could you explain your route with power-ups? There were a few things that looked a little out of place, but I'm not certain they're slower, so I'm interested in why you made the choices you did. Also, does changing the camera angle aid with speed? Or were you just doing that to give a better view? (In which case, I appreciate it.)
Soig
He/Him
Skilled player (1477)
ais523 wrote:
Could you explain your route with power-ups? There were a few things that looked a little out of place, but I'm not certain they're slower, so I'm interested in why you made the choices you did. Also, does changing the camera angle aid with speed? Or were you just doing that to give a better view? (In which case, I appreciate it.)
2-Castle get injured then turn to fire flower. Faster than no injured. 3-1 get blue shell to swim faster. 5-B get shell to skip to 5-castle directly. 5-castle turn to mini to enter world 7 which allows to skip more levels than world 6. Anything else? Which one do you ask? Changing camera angle will help me saves time. For example, get mini mushroom earlier in 5-castle.(It turns mini mushroom earlier than normal.) Don't need to reduce the speed. Flamethrower stops earlier than normal. So that Mario can go across it with full speed.
Site Admin, Skilled player (1236)
TASVideoAgent wrote:
feos: Pub. I'll try to backport HiRes to this old desmume, hold on.....................
Backporting can't be done due to major OGL revision. Will try to fix the desync instead. Okay, it's r4129 that breaks the sync... EDIT: reverted the edit, it runs through the first room and desyncs in the second one. No HiRes for this run.
Warning: When making decisions, I try to collect as much data as possible before actually deciding. I try to abstract away and see the principles behind real world events and people's opinions. I try to generalize them and turn into something clear and reusable. I hate depending on unpredictable and having to make lottery guesses. Any problem can be solved by systems thinking and acting.
Fortranm
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (775)
Nice improvements. YES vote. Isn't it ironic that 3-1 is the only World 3 level in this run that takes palace under water even though it's meant to be the beach world?
EgixBacon
He/Him
Player (181)
Absolutely loving the new strats in the second half of World 7. Haven't watched the rest, but I've seen enough to know which way I'm voting. i.e. Yes
FanFiction|Youtube Still on Win7! Take that, Microsoft!
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2858] DS New Super Mario Bros. "warpless" by Soig in 41:19.80