Submission Text Full Submission Page

1-1

This level is a bit tricky, especially for the underworld on the pipe, where I had to brake a bit, unlike I thought. I achieved to jump correctly in the underworld to get the pipe. At the end of the level, I was thinking “At the end of the stairs, I jump”, but finally, I let Mario fall down because it was faster.

1-2

I have been a bit surprised that, at the moment where Mario jumps frame-perfect to kill the Koopa, I could go. It’s important to notice that there is only one frame in no sprint. Then, there are 2 little difficult jumps. Where the platforms goes up and down, I had a big problem : knowing that if I kept walking and jump on the first platform, I fall, so I have to wait, and if I jump directly to the second, I jump on the HUD, and fall again, and I had to wait again.

4-1

There is a little luck manipulation to force the first spiny to go right instead of left.

4-2

At the beggining, I prefered directly taking the upper tunnel, or I would have lost time. It’s hard to hit the block to trigger the vine, and it’s difficult to do the jump to climb that vine. The last part is really easy because it’s straight forward and you have jump to jump and press right.

8-1

I didn’t know if I lost time walking on holes, even if can go through. In that level, I did a lot of 1-frame-only jumps. Then comes a jump that would have needed the sprint.

8-2

The stairs and the beggining are really dangerous to do. I even killed the lakitu and that wasn’t even planned. It gave me a benefit. A lot of Bullet Bill annoyed me. Then comes the second jump that would have needed the sprint. At the end of that jump, I should have stopped for a while for the next jump.

8-3

There is a little pixel-perfect jump in the middle on this level. However, there are the fireworks. If I rush to the flag, there would be 6 fireworks to would be triggered. Then, there is a Bullet Bill that blocked me a bit.

8-4

There is another pixel-perfect jump. You are forced to wait for the platform to move. Then you have to wait with the piranha plant. Then I had to go right, then to come back to the left. Another waiting due to the piranha plant. In the water part, a really hard part to end because of fireballs. A third jump that would have required sprint and a Bowser that isn’t saying ‘You shall not pass’ and I just go under him.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
cute.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Editor, Skilled player (1505)
verry good
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
Mothrayas wrote:
[1332] NES Super Mario Bros. "warps, walkathon" by HappyLee in 06:47.20
This TAS is no sprint , AND glitchless , the HappyLee's TAS is only "walkathon" so in the HappyLee's TAS has a lot of glitches.
Noxxa
They/Them
Alex76FR wrote:
This TAS is no sprint , AND glitchless , the HappyLee's TAS is only "walkathon" so in the HappyLee's TAS has a lot of glitches.
Does the lack of glitches make up for the 00:23.11 seconds time difference?
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
Mothrayas wrote:
Alex76FR wrote:
Does the lack of glitches make up for the 00:23.11 seconds time difference?
10 seconds for the end of the level 1-2 , 2 seconds for the end of the level 8-3 , and the rest for the "moonwalk" i think
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
You're forced to break your own rule at frame 13531 to clear the pit, either by wall-jumping (which is a glitch, and what HappyLee did) or by running (which is not a glitch, and what you did.) I don't think this is a good set of categories to combine for SMB. In addition, you do absolutely nothing to liven up the movie (collecting coins, killing enemies, etc.) Voting No.
Previous Name: boct1584
Spikestuff
They/Them
Just quit while you're not ahead. Left: You Right: Mars608 & HappyLee BUT THIS ONE USES GLITCHES TO! Does 1-1 Have a single glitch? Does it really, are you trying to make this easy for me, wait you did make it easy for me. 25860 Total Frames 25701 Is Final Input 25689 Is Final Jump (where you should kill your input) 25681 Is me finding the earliest jump to kill your input Edit: Oh, B ey? Nice work, breaking the meaning of "NO SPRINT"
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
negative_seven
She/Her
Active player (354)
Even besides the weird category, the movie is rather suboptimal. Sections where you slow down on purpose are not very tightly optimised and the fast start isn't used. No vote.
Spikestuff wrote:
Edit: Oh, B ey? Nice work, breaking the meaning of "NO SPRINT"
You can't pass these 3 jumps without sprint.
Noxxa
They/Them
Alex76FR wrote:
HappyLee's run passes them without sprint, but it violates another one of your objectives. Maybe your run has too many objectives - evidently, walkathon and glitchless combined make it impossible to beat the game, as breaking one of the two is required to pass these sections.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Alex76FR wrote:
Suuuuuuuuuure Whatever you say, oh if you return to saying it's not glitchless it wouldn't matter, you still broke the other rule of no sprint. If anyone's curious here is Alex's 3 Bs Yes, I screwed up showing the top left one, but the B button is pressed the frame before, just see my other post about it.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
Spikestuff wrote:
Alex76FR wrote:
Suuuuuuuuuure Whatever you say, oh if you return to saying it's not glitchless it wouldn't matter, you still broke the other rule of no sprint.
He's uses a walljump at the end of the jumps -_-
Voting No because (at least) the submission breaks its own "no sprint" rule in 3 places. If appealing to 1609M (The Legend of Zelda "swordless") which does pick up a sword at the very end to beat the game as the category is impossible to beat the game with otherwise, then voting No as the B usage isn't minimized as much as possible (2 of the 3 uses can be cut out). Additionally voting No due to significant suboptimality in relatively trivial places as demonstrated above and also lack of entertainment. Finally, "glitchless" is a bad category name/choice in general as it can be hard to define exactly what constitutes a glitch. Stronger category names like "no memory corruption" are preferred (but that's irrelevant here). As a guideline such categories should only be used if abusing the glitch would cause the run to be significantly different, which is hard to argue in this case. I have a suspicion that the category was only used here so that the submission would take less effort to complete, but regardless of whether that's true or not it doesn't change the reasons for the No vote. EDIT: Appended some additional reasons per Teh Seven's video.
negative_seven
She/Her
Active player (354)
Alex76FR wrote:
That's not entirely true. Link to video
adelikat
He/Him
Emulator Coder, Site Developer, Site Owner, Expert player (3596)
I'm not convinced you need to press b 3 times to achieve your goals. In 8-1, I managed to do it in real time in a few tried. You scroll the camera until the goombas after the pit appear, then time it so you jump and land on the first goomba as he falls into the pit. In 8-2, I didn't try too much but I think some using bullet bills is possible, like this In 8-4, the hammer bros before the pit. If you wait long enough, he will eventually start to chase you. If you can get him to fall into the pit, maybe you can get him to fall into the pit and use that to help you jump? This one might not be possible. But I think at the very least you should press B as little as possible, if you are going to do so. (Also, this is a really boring and dumb category imo)
It's hard to look this good. My TAS projects
Experienced player (703)
Voting no. Sorry to be mean, but it's not optimised and you pressed B while you do not need to do it :p
Current: Rayman 3 maybe? idk xD Paused: N64 Rayman 2 (with Funnyhair) GBA SMA 4 : E Reader (With TehSeven) TASVideos is like a quicksand, you get in, but you cannot quit the sand
GoddessMaria
She/Her
Reviewer, Experienced player (849)
Not really much else to say or add to what has been already been pointed out. Voting No.
Current projects: failing at life
Dimon12321
He/Him
Active player (480)
Hey people! Don't you think that TASing SMB goes crazy? In my opinion, we don't have to accept this game with objectives like that. Let's submit "Jumps only", "Maximum score", "Minimum buttons pressed" and so on. Alex, why do you do that? Just to have another published movie?
TASing is like making a film: only the best takes are shown in the final movie.
What ?! There were B button pressed in this movie. While watching the encode, my eyes didn't see any B button pressed. Why "no jump" if B is pressed ?
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... om, nom, nom... nom nom
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
Hi. If you're unsure about a submission in the future, you may want to upload it on userfiles, and post it on the forum. You'll get much better feedback that way. As it stands, B presses or not, this is unfortunately not a good category choice. It's not very interesting and pretty trivial to TAS. Best of luck in the future.
Dimon12321 wrote:
Hey people! Don't you think that TASing SMB goes crazy? In my opinion, we don't have to accept this game with objectives like that. Let's submit "Jumps only", "Maximum score", "Minimum buttons pressed" and so on.
Let's not and say we didn't.