(Link to video)
In this game, known as "Rubble Saver" in Japan, you are equipped with a machine and fight your way through 9 levels against aliens and other strange enemies.
Quoting Wikipedia:
A police officer named Tony and his sister are forced to go inside an unidentified flying object by a group of aliens who are planning to invade the galaxy. They are later exiled to a distant planet after refusing to engage in espionage for their side.

Tony finds himself stranded on a strange planet where nothing is familiar (and without his sister). However, a mech that has a vast knowledge of telepathic skills saves him and empowers Tony with the ability to take on the aliens' army. This machine becomes an important ally in the battle to save Tony's sister and stop the extraterrestrial invasion before it's too late. The game forces players to fight strange aliens across the galaxy. Players collect power-ups while in the mech but loses it after a single hit. The game includes some surreal enemies like a typical dog and some musical notes.
Note that in the Japanese original the roles are inverted, as you are playing as the girl trying to save your brother.

TAS

I TASed this game in 2013 after becoming interested in it when I watched controllerhead play it on his stream. So since it's been a while I don't remember many details; I'm just going to explain what I do remember. I used the Japanese version because the intro was faster (I think) and there were no drawbacks for English people such as Japanese text, anyway. I aimed to complete the game as fast as possible, using all known level warps and reducing lag along the way.
This game has strange lag. As far as I remember, it lags for two frames and then runs one frame, rinse and repeat - effectively running at 20 FPS. So because of this, I made a script (see below "Links" section) that accounts for this behavior and shows the actual lag count.
The weakest point about this run is probably the bosses. Some bosses take up too much time but I can't help it...
  • Used emu: VBA-24m-svn391
  • Takes damage to save time (in Lv9, to skip those pounding things - I would have gotten hit by a pounder if I had kept my machine, for some strange reason)
  • Uses warps
  • Genre: Action
  • Genre: Platform

Moonjump glitch

You can sometimes jump while descending in the air. This is because the game would apparently sometimes assume you have ground beneath you for 1 frame when you actually don't.

Pounder glitch

In the last level, level 9, there is a strange glitch that can happen. This is not used in this TAS nor does it save time. Just listing it here for those curious: Explanation
It would cause the game to glitch out. But if you have shot a bullet in level 9 before doing this glitch, the game would crash - as far as I remember, anyway.

Possible improvements

See here.
Thanks for watching

GoddessMaria: Judging.
GoddessMaria: Game choice is decent. The movie itself is well optimized and has a good audience reception.
Accepting for Moons.
Then Spikestuff remembered he has 2 computers for encoding and publishing now.
Spikestuff: Publishing!

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4713: MUGG's GB The Adventures of Star Saver in 08:39.22
Editor, Experienced player (882)
I think the game is short of enough to not lose interest, even if the gameplay is pretty basic. The jumping on air trick is nice. Any plans to visit the sequel(?)?
Current thoughts: Hachiemon (J) for GBA.
Editor, Expert player (2313)
I think the sequel has already been done by some TASer on nicovideo. Will look for the video links later.. edit: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8352716 ラブルセイバーII TAS 07:24.35
Editor, Experienced player (894)
Ah, I remember trying this game out at one point. I (very) briefly considered TASing it, but thought that the lag might drive me crazy. Good that you found a way around it. The game choice is decent. It has a nice setting and music, but I find that experiencing it is a bit unpleasant thanks to the irregular / laggy frame rate. Parts of the game also drag a little. I'll give the run a 'meh' vote - it's not a bad but not a good watch either. At least the game has a TAS now.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I sort of liked this. It has some variety. The irregular lag is annoying, but the pacing is pretty good with the exception of the Stage 4 fish boss. I voted Yes.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Editor, Expert player (2313)
I noticed some possible improvements. In Stage 5, the level end tile can be reached earlier by using hookshot to climb the ledge fast. (semi-confirmed) Stage 3 boss might be improvable by shooting at it earlier. (not confirmed yet) I'm currently trying to find more level warps but this game's RAM is a mess... EDIT: There don't seem to be any more warps. I saw a glimpse of a room that doesn't appear anywhere in the game. I'm thinking maybe in development it was supposed to be possible to enter caves or castles (through those big entrance holes).
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
I liked it. The game looked kinda clunky, and the boss battles dragged on a bit at times, but overwall it was entertaining enough to keep me interested for its duration. Yes vote.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Nice to see another run from you, MUGG. Like others have said, the game is okay and the run is entertaining for its short length. Voting Yes.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2886] GB The Adventures of Star Saver by MUGG in 08:39.22