• Emulator used: BizHawk 1.9.4, finished with BizHawk 1.10.0
  • Contains speed/entertainment tradeoffs
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Manipulates luck a litte bit
  • Manipulates AI
  • Abuses few glitches and bugs
  • Too much noot noot

Comments

This is a TAS of Pingu for the GameBoy. A (for some reason) Japan only game consisting on minigames that happen each day, like fishing, hockey and the normal routine of stop-motion claydoll penguins. Pingu is some hardcore MLG pro swag penguin that noot noots all day by pissing of his family and wrecking everyone at either dancing or snowball fightin'. This TAS beats the current RTA record held by werster by 1 minute and 7 seconds. It also has tradeoffs like glitching sprites or going out of bounds to bring some entertainment. I like Pingu, even though I didn't grew up with it I think it's hilarious. Also hyped to officially start adelikat's All Platforms Challenge, that could kill me if I get too lazy at doing stuff.

Stage by stage comments

Here I focus only on the actual minigames, even though the cutscenes and sprites are pretty funny.

Day 1

Fishing wasn't too easy to figure out. It relies on your movement and X position rather than RNG. I got the fastest solution I could come up with. Some fishes can make you lose a bait since they're going too fast, that's why I don't catch some big fish on the stage.

Day 2

Here's where I try my best to entertain. This minigame relies on platforming and very specific jumping. There's this up+down glitch I use to bring some entertainment, which glitches Pingu's sprites a whole lot. The down side to this is that it slows down the game, but man is it fun to see Pingu morphing into Japanese letters and splitting his body in pieces... even though doing that too much freezes the game. The ice platforms themselves are weird though, since it will be safe to jump into the edge, but no, you fall. Even by glitching the game a bit, it still beats the segment by a couple secs.

Day 3

Hockey was very easy. Not much to say since it relies more on the timing of when do you shot. Other than getting out of bounds it's pretty optimal and beats the segment by few frames.

Day 4

Optimal snowball fights in this game rely on your actions. It's not RNG, rather specific AI patterns. For example, you see I take a hit after I throw a snowball, this makes the penguin I want to shoot go to the direction I want him to go. Manipulation is easy once you get the gist(incorrect word) of it and lets you kill faster. Destroys current RTA record by huge amount because of this.

Other comments

I like penguins alot guise pls don't think the wrong thing.

Special Thanks

• All the people that posted in the thread.
  • Pingu, because *noot noot*
  • Masterjun, for being Masterjun

Suggested Screenshot

dunno, maybe one from the hockey stage i guess.
THANKS 4 WATCHING!!!

Noxxa: Judging.
Noxxa: Good audience reception. Accepting for Moons.
fsvgm777: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
NOOT NOOT Link to video
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Invariel
He/Him
Editor, Site Developer, Player (169)
GOODPLAY!! Noot noot. I am going to assume that level 2 of the ice platformer can't be done any faster, and there are no alternate routes, correct? Besides that, it looks optimized. Due to the game's shortness, I wonder what the target market was. Edit: My curiosity has been appeased, and the path to the left is a trick. Evil, evil game.
I am still the wizard that did it. "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -- Satoru Iwata <scrimpy> at least I now know where every map, energy and save room in this game is
Active player (258)
GOODPLAY!! The game is short enough to have kept me entertained. Oddly enough, even though the game is (relatively) cut scene heavy, those also managed to be entertaining. (edit:)By the way, any interest in improving this? Since we've established a theme.
Somewhat damaged.
Post subject: Re: #4730: dekutony's GB Pingu: Sekai de Ichiban Genki na Penguin in 10:00.71
Skilled player (1404)
dekutony wrote:
I like penguins alot guise pls don't think the wrong thing.
At least you have penguin themed games you can choose from! I have, what, a pet simulator?
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Editor, Expert player (2459)
Voting: Yes. There is a Sega Genesis game called Pengo. It has a penguin...
ars4326
He/Him
Experienced player (764)
The house music reminds me of the Dragon Warrior 2 overworld theme... Good run, Kurabu! This game had me laughing out loud at certain points (the ole' breaking the vase by kicking the ball inside the house). The stages were also varied enough to keep things interesting throughout the 10-minute video. I think you've found your niche in TASing penguin-themed game :)
"But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." - 1 Corinthians 2:9
Warioware has been judged unacceptable for the Vault. This is a collection of just four very simplistic minigames. What makes it nontrivial?
Isn't WarioWare the same length no matter what you do? This on the other hand requires manipulation of the other people, at least in hockey and snowball fight from what I could tell.
DiscoRico wrote:
Isn't WarioWare the same length no matter what you do? This on the other hand requires manipulation of the other people, at least in hockey and snowball fight from what I could tell.
Many, but not all. Certainly more than four.
Post subject: Re: #4730: dekutony's GB Pingu: Sekai de Ichiban Genki na Penguin in 10:00.71
TASVideoAgent wrote:
There's this up+down glitch I use to bring some entertainment, which glitches Pingu's sprites a whole lot. The down side to this is that it slows down the game, but man is it fun to see Pingu morphing into Japanese letters and splitting his body in pieces... even though doing that too much freezes the game.
Sounds like potential Arbitrary Code Execution.
Trying 127.0.0.1... telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused telnet: Unable to connect to remote host
This is pretty much the cutest game I have ever seen. Also, for this game, RTAs should be called GOODPLAY!!s, and TASes just SUPERPLAY!!s. I was quite entertained by the game, and the sprite glitches were a fun addition. Yes vote.
LOAD TO SUNRISE
Editor, Player (53)
This game reminded me of the good old days watching that show, so it was surely entertaining for me to watch, yes vote :)
I'm the best in the Universe! Remember that!
Noxxa
They/Them
Moderator, Expert player (4138)
I dislike the way the speed-entertainment tradeoffs appear to lose you out on a sub-10 minute end time. The run looks nice otherwise.
http://www.youtube.com/Noxxa <dwangoAC> This is a TAS (...). Not suitable for all audiences. May cause undesirable side-effects. May contain emulator abuse. Emulator may be abusive. This product contains glitches known to the state of California to cause egg defects. <Masterjun> I'm just a guy arranging bits in a sequence which could potentially amuse other people looking at these bits <adelikat> In Oregon Trail, I sacrificed my own family to save time. In Star trek, I killed helpless comrades in escape pods to save time. Here, I kill my allies to save time. I think I need help.
It is a sad thing when those rubbish early PC "game" tools in this case ends up being far superior to an actual game. Then again the same happened with South Park also until recently. I remember "playing" the Pingu one and found it entertaining when really young.
Enjoys speedruns but hasn't actually tried making any yet.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
The strangeness and silliness of this game kept the run consistently entertaining for me. I also liked your hockey antics. I suggest a screenshot of Pingu in the corner with the word "WON" partially off the screen. Also, good luck with your All Platforms Challenge!
Experienced player (630)
CoolKirby wrote:
Also, good luck with your All Platforms Challenge!
Thanks man!
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony
Former player
It's so weird that this game is J only, if they would have sold it here in Switzerland, it would have easily been successful, everyone here knew about Pingu. The TAS was - to my surprise - entertaining enough for a yes vote. You somehow managed to do some cool stuff in a simple game like this, good job! Now go on for more TASes of games with penguins ^^
Current project: Gex 3 any% Paused: Gex 64 any% There are no N64 emulators. Just SM64 emulators with hacky support for all the other games.
Active player (434)
i would prefer no tradeoffs but yes vote anyway,such a short game
TAS i'm interested: megaman series: mmbn1 all chips, mmx3 any% psx glitched fighting games with speed goals in general
d-feather
He/Him
It's fairly decent, so I might as well give you a yes vote if only because of how hilarious the NOOT NOOT sounds in this game.
:shrug: I'm more active on Twitter nowadays: @HunterCoates5
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2880] GB Pingu: Sekai de Ichiban Genki na Penguin by dekutony in 10:00.71
ars4326
He/Him
Experienced player (764)
Congrats on the moon publication! You've currently got top billing on both the moons and vault tiers on the front page!
"But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." - 1 Corinthians 2:9
Experienced player (630)
Thanks man! ;D
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony
"Pingu: Sekai de Ichiban Genki na Penguin (ピングー 世界で1番元気なペンギン) is a video game based on the Swiss children's stop-motion series of the same name." Was there a Swiss series named "Pingu: Sekai de Ichiban Genki na Penguin" or "ピングー 世界で1番元気なペンギン"?
"The guy was fatally injured and wants to be covered by God's tears (rain) before he dies. God is too busy to bother because it wastes frames." Frames 16:26
EgixBacon
He/Him
Player (181)
xnamkcor wrote:
Was there a Swiss series named "Pingu: Sekai de Ichiban Genki na Penguin" or "ピングー 世界で1番元気なペンギン"?
Nope, it just means the original TV series.
FanFiction|Youtube Still on Win7! Take that, Microsoft!