Submission Text Full Submission Page
"Bram Stoker's Dracula" is based on the 1992 horror film of the same name. This is your typical platform type of video game. You play as Johnathan Harker,as you fight your way through bats,wolves,zombies,skeltons...and yes,Dracula himself.
improved.
Used emu: gens_11a
Takes: damage to save time
Genre: Action
Genre: Platform
hard difficulty

Tompa: Judging time!

Tompa: While being a lot better than your previous submission, there is still some work to be done. Over 10 seconds of improvements have already been mentioned in the topic. There are a lot of missed hits during boss fights that looks bad from a TAS perspective, only attack when you'll hit the boss, don't use turbo for the attacks.
I'm rejecting this and hoping to see a third version! A tip is to post your progress in the forums to get some help and ideas.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4736: CReTiNo's Genesis Bram Stoker's Dracula in 12:58.74
I think this looks much better than the previous attempt. I'm giving my yes vote.
Invariel
He/Him
Editor, Site Developer, Player (169)
Are bosses always vulnerable, or do they go invulnerable for a short time after being hit?
I am still the wizard that did it. "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -- Satoru Iwata <scrimpy> at least I now know where every map, energy and save room in this game is
PCachu
He/Him
I just love the way Harker strikes with his knife here. "'Scuse me while I whip this out..."
Active player (257)
Huh, wasn't aware Carfax™ had their own abbey. Yes vote. Though, on a minor note I do like when authors expound a bit more in their comments so's to explain a bit about what's going on technically.
Somewhat damaged.
Editor, Skilled player (1404)
This movie looks much better now, good job. That said, I'm still not entirely convinced it's optimal - you still seem to slow down in places where you do not have to and take turns and corners wider than you should. I recommend using Frame Advance to make sure your run is 100% optimized. As for entertainment, I'm voting yes now.
Skilled player (1435)
This one a lot better! I gladly repeat my yes vote :) Though i still see that it can be improved in some places. A few examples: -At 6:26 is worth to shoot in switcher from pistol from long distance, instead of using the knife. It can save about 200+ frames. -At 7:35 banshee-boss can be killed faster, her last flying cycle is non-necessary, about 2 seconds can be saved. -At 8:30 is possible catch platform from previous cycle, which can save over 200+ frames. --- +Question: Are you tried to use deaths to save time? I suspect it may be worth to die to refill health and be able take more time-saving damage, but it need to be test to say for sure. --- Edit: Multiposting is not good. Tip:Try to use edit button.
I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Current projects: NES: Tetris "fastest 999999" (improvement, with r57shell) Genesis: Adventures of Batman & Robin (with Truncated); Pocahontas; Comix Zone (improvement); Mickey Mania (improvement); RoboCop versus The Terminator (improvement); Gargoyles (with feos)
Player (53)
TehBerral wrote:
Huh, wasn't aware Carfax™ had their own abbey. Yes vote. Though, on a minor note I do like when authors expound a bit more in their comments so's to explain a bit about what's going on technically.
I need to improve it
Player (53)
scrimpeh wrote:
This movie looks much better now, good job. That said, I'm still not entirely convinced it's optimal - you still seem to slow down in places where you do not have to and take turns and corners wider than you should. I recommend using Frame Advance to make sure your run is 100% optimized. As for entertainment, I'm voting yes now.
thanks for the tip
Player (53)
Archanfel wrote:
This one a lot better! I gladly repeat my yes vote :) Though i still see that it can be improved in some places. A few examples: -At 6:26 is worth to shoot in switcher from pistol from long distance, instead of using the knife. It can save about 200+ frames. -At 7:35 banshee-boss can be killed faster, her last flying cycle is non-necessary, about 2 seconds can be saved. -At 8:30 is possible catch platform from previous cycle, which can save over 200+ frames. --- +Question: Are you tried to use deaths to save time? I suspect it may be worth to die to refill health and be able take more time-saving damage, but it need to be test to say for sure.
I thought of using deaths but I chose not to use, I thought it would be cooler no deaths
Editor, Experienced player (894)
Hmm. Well, the game has a nice horror vibe to it. The gameplay itself isn't incredibly stimulating to watch, though. At only 13-minutes length the run is a mix of good and bad, and so it gets a polite 'meh' vote from me.
Tompa
Any
Editor, Expert player (2141)
If you plan on improving it, be sure to time all hits when you kill enemies/bosses. As right now you are just using turbo which leads to not all hits being optimal as well as a couple of missed hits which doesn't look good. You can try to use the RAM Watch/Search, unless you aren't already, to see when you are able to hurt a boss and so on. In some narrow spots, like just before the final fight, you could have timed a jump to wall down rather to walk straight forward, which will end you up pushing against the wall.
Tompa
Any
Editor, Expert player (2141)
CReTiNo wrote:
I need to improve it
So are you working on a new version? Should I cancel this one meanwhile or do you plan to update it?
Player (53)
Tompa wrote:
CReTiNo wrote:
I need to improve it
So are you working on a new version? Should I cancel this one meanwhile or do you plan to update it?
not cancel, I mean I need to improve the comment submissions
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... crunchy!