Submission Text Full Submission Page
Super Pitfall is a platforming game well known for glitchiness and overall poor programming. The current run takes advantage of several major glitches to beat the game in under 5 minutes.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: FCEUX 2.2.2
  • Beats the game as fast as possible
  • Abuses programming errors

Comments

This game is pretty poorly programmed, as anyone who has tried to play the game casually can attest. The 2 major glitches this run takes advantage of are clipping through walls and the game not clearing memory states at game over.
'Wall Clip': This glitch occurs because a particular memory address ($00D5) is reused for multiple purposes in a frame. One of those purposes is for collision detection. Normally, this byte fails a check that prevents the player from moving forward when walking against a wall. However, it turns out that $00D5 is also changed at an interrupt of some sort. If the interrupt timing is just right, the value will be modified and not changed back before the collision detection check. When this happens the character moves one step into the wall. This is quite random, and I have found no way to consistently make it happen. Only a brute force search could really find the best case as far as I could tell. But it happens often enough to make it a time saver.
'Ending Warp': It turns out the game fails to clear critical memory values at game over. So, if you completed all your objectives and game over, it still has those values set until you start a new game. The problem is that the demo that runs if you leave the game idle starts the character at the ending trigger, oops! So once you rescue the girl you can simply go down one ladder and end input. Then you will repeatedly die until game over, and eventually warp to the ending.

Other comments

I had very little to do with the inputs of this run. The first 1.5 minutes or so is played by Kyman, who's WIP performed the wall clips much quicker then I had managed. I tested a second potential clip to save another death warp, but it turns out you have to pass through 2 wall sections instead of 1, making it very unlikely to be faster. From there, Arc's original inputs were pretty optimal and required only slight modification by me.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4745: Arc, Kyman & Alyosha's NES Super Pitfall in 04:54.86
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Doing something important which is apparently suitable for viewing pleasure. Link to video
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Spikestuff wrote:
Doing something important which is apparently suitable for viewing pleasure.
Putting on pants?
Alyosha
He/Him
Editor, Expert player (3520)
Spikestuff wrote:
Doing something important which is apparently suitable for viewing pleasure.
oh yeah, Encode coming soon! (I hope) EDIT: aww skipestuff beat me, well thanks for the encode (I couldn't quite get it right, maybe next time)
Editor, Skilled player (1403)
I still can't get over how they managed to release a game as glitchy and unappealing as this. Anyhow, the TAS was good, I liked the wall clips a lot. I thought the ending looked very bad until I realized input had already ended, which suddenly made it pretty clever instead. Voting yes.
Skilled player (1705)
I would've comment on that the ending looked rather shit, but then having the credits popup at the start of the demo made it worth it. lol Yes.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
If I recall correctly, Arc or FODA figured out this kind of way to trigger the credits around the time of the last published run. There was some discussion in the forums that ultimately rejected this kind of ending for looking sloppy. I guess standards about input endings have changed enough, though, in the last years. It's a pretty good-looking improvement of a pretty mediocre game. It is annoying how many lives you have to lose, though, to get the Game Over.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
mklip2001 wrote:
If I recall correctly, Arc or FODA figured out this kind of way to trigger the credits around the time of the last published run. There was some discussion in the forums that ultimately rejected this kind of ending for looking sloppy. I guess standards about input endings have changed enough, though, in the last years. It's a pretty good-looking improvement of a pretty mediocre game. It is annoying how many lives you have to lose, though, to get the Game Over.
Having looked it up (10 years ago!), it was months after it was already published and only a couple people commented on it. I notice that it doesn't play the ending music. Is it actually going to the ending, or just putting up a screen from it. You can glitch through walls and walk to a Boy and his Blob's ending credit screen for example, but that didn't count as the ending. Oh, also from that thread
You don't even get the ending music, and you go back to the title screen instead of starting the 2nd quest.
So it doesn't seem like it's the actual ending. Just displaying a screen from it erroneously.
Skilled player (1705)
mklip2001 wrote:
I thought it was more acceptable now because this game will be vaulted regardless based on the current movie's rating anyways. :P
I first heard of this turd from James Rofl, so I give it a automatic yes for that and also for being entertaining enough being a turd game.
jlun2 wrote:
mklip2001 wrote:
I thought it was more acceptable now because this game will be vaulted regardless based on the current movie's rating anyways. :P
Well, this only displays the ending screen. The actual ending has its own music and when you press start goes into a second quest. Pokemon had a similar situation. It looped continuously on ending screens, but didn't actually reach the standard completed state, and that was ruled as being not a valid ending. I'm almost certain something like this has come up with a couple other games too (like, they were supposed to create save data but didn't, I think?), but which ones escape me at the moment.
Active player (324)
I've seen multiple movies of this game, and there are some things I don't understand about the game. For instance, how the hell are you supposed to know where the warp zones are? Just walk into random dead-ends?
Ambassador, Experienced player (696)
The glitchiness is pretty cool and the early input end trick too. However, compared to Arc's run the ending actually comes up later because of how many lives need to be lost. Does that matter?
Alyosha
He/Him
Tangent wrote:
jlun2 wrote:
mklip2001 wrote:
Well, this only displays the ending screen. The actual ending has its own music and when you press start goes into a second quest. Pokemon had a similar situation. It looped continuously on ending screens, but didn't actually reach the standard completed state, and that was ruled as being not a valid ending. I'm almost certain something like this has come up with a couple other games too (like, they were supposed to create save data but didn't, I think?), but which ones escape me at the moment.
Oh, this is interesting, I actually didn't realize it didn't reach a normal ending state since I never beat the game normally, (I only was aware of this trick from the AGDQ run) Well no matter, I can just post an alternate file that beats the game normally, it will still be ~15 seconds faster then the original run due to the first wall clip. A judge can decide what to accept.
JXQ
Experienced player (750)
TheAxeMan wrote:
The glitchiness is pretty cool and the early input end trick too. However, compared to Arc's run the ending actually comes up later because of how many lives need to be lost. Does that matter?
Right, this run ends up starting the "flicker the screen and prepare ending" about 20 seconds later than the currently published run, and for a half-broken version of the same ending. I feel like you can't vault it based on the time disparity alone, but I'd vote No either way because it is basically a copy of the existing run up to a certain point, and then just stops (and happens to show part of the ending anyway).
<Swordless> Go hug a tree, you vegetarian (I bet you really are one)
Alyosha
He/Him
Given that this seems to not actually beat the game, I will cancel it at submit a version that does.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom