(Link to video)
Ys: The Vanished Omens is normally a game about exploring the world, defeating bosses, collecting items and experience and saving the world. Thanks to how broken the mirror inside Pim's shop is, however, Adol decides he doesn't want to bother with any of that pesky exploring business, and instead warps himself to the end of his journey.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: BizHawk 1.10.0
  • Warp to credits
  • Corrupts memory

Comments

I have been running this game RTA for some time now, using the same route as the TAS this obsoletes. I discovered by pure coincidence that certain vertical scrolls allow the credits warp to be triggered without entering the in-game menu. I wanted to see if this would save any time, and the result is this TAS, which saves 21 frames over the previous by CoolKirby.

Stage by stage comments

Minea Village

All of the overworld portion takes place inside Minea Village. Where the previous TAS scrolled vertically so that the bottom pixel visible is the bottom pixel of the middle set of buildings, the new setup requires that you instead go 8 pixels lower. This costs a total of 16 frames of additional movement. The horizontal scroll remains the same.
The main time save in this TAS comes from not having to enter the menu. This saves 37 frames.

Pim's Shop

The menus are identical to CoolKirby's TAS. The mirror is bought, then buying it again is attempted 3 times. Leaving the shop at this point triggers the credits warp.

GoddessMaria: Judging.
GoddessMaria: Very nice work, JohnUK89! This movie has been really well made and improves the previous run made by CoolKirby by 21 frames as a result. Audience response was mostly positive as well.
Accepting as an improvement to the currently published run.
Fog: Publishing...

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Synahel
She/Her
Former player
I say yes, love this.
Player (67)
I blinked and it was over. yes!
JohnUK89: for reference, you don't need to make a new submission for each improvement. You can just replace the movie file.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
You don’t need to cancel your submission for every improvement you make. Just post the improved file for download and a staff member will replace the one you submitted with it.
IzzyThePenguin
She/Her
Player (58)
I didn't see how to. My apologies. Serves me right for not getting the movie file right the first time!
Shoutout to TASVideos for not allowing username changes in profile settings
Post subject: Congrats + Encode
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Awesome job! I thought there had to be a faster setup, though I didn't try scrolling the screen that far down. Yes vote! Here's an encode. (Please excuse the graphical glitches, they seem to be YouTube's fault): Link to video
Amaraticando
It/Its
Editor, Player (158)
I don't even know this game, but the simple exploit is impressive. Yes vote.
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
Dawn begins to

brighten the world.

The silhouette of

the mirror rises

against the sky.

Birds start to

call as the evil

creatures melt in

the reflected light.

A great burden is

lifted from ARON's

wallet and peace

descends on the

land. ARON sees

his confused face

before him.

The events of the

books kinda didn't

happen... a tale

centuries lived in

about 17 seconds.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I first misread the completion time as being 17 MINUTES. Consider me pretty surprised when I watched the encode. (I had forgotten quite how fast CoolKirby's run was for this.) Nicely done. Any interest in trying to make a full-game run on this?
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Active player (258)
Yes vote. Now, could someone explain to me what happened?
Somewhat damaged.
TehBerral wrote:
Now, could someone explain to me what happened?
It's got to be memory corruption. The mirror glitch is one of those glitches that does different things depending on input and the screen's position. It usually freezes or crashes, but it can also max out your level, warp you to another room, and do other strange things. One of them just happens to be warping to the credits.
sack_bot
He/Him
Player (111)
CoolKirby wrote:
TehBerral wrote:
Now, could someone explain to me what happened?
It's got to be memory corruption. The mirror glitch is one of those glitches that does different things depending on input and the screen's position. It usually freezes or crashes, but it can also max out your level, warp you to another room, and do other strange things. One of them just happens to be warping to the credits.
So... Is it possible to use that to mace an ACE run?
Message me here for my discord. Current Project: Psycho Waluigi Project on wait list: None?
sack_bot wrote:
I honestly don't know; I know nothing about SMS game code. But it doesn't seem like it would be faster than the memory corruption method. This run is one big setup for the mirror glitch, which occurs as soon as input is ended; there's no waiting period that ACE could circumvent or smaller glitches that could be abused beforehand. If ACE is possible in this game though, it would be fun to see what entertaining things one could do. Also note that however the mirror glitch is achieved, it would probably not be allowed for a full game run, even for getting max level early, because of its ability to warp to the credits.
sack_bot
He/Him
Player (111)
CoolKirby wrote:
sack_bot wrote:
I honestly don't know; I know nothing about SMS game code. But it doesn't seem like it would be faster than the memory corruption method. This run is one big setup for the mirror glitch, which occurs as soon as input is ended; there's no waiting period that ACE could circumvent or smaller glitches that could be abused beforehand. If ACE is possible in this game though, it would be fun to see what entertaining things one could do. Also note that however the mirror glitch is achieved, it would probably not be allowed for a full game run, even for getting max level early, because of its ability to warp to the credits.
I'm not asking about faster, I'm asking about possible. Basically, you would need to write a program in memory, which would probably require making an item list and such
Message me here for my discord. Current Project: Psycho Waluigi Project on wait list: None?
I'm the wrong person to ask, but someone who can read game code, like Masterjun, could probably look into it for you. I would be interested in seeing an entertaining ACE run of this game though (executing code that warps around, spontaneously levels, instantly kills bosses, etc.), even if it wouldn't be publishable.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2895] SMS Ys: The Vanished Omens "game end glitch" by IzzyThePenguin in 00:17.11