(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
This is an improvement of 40:31.88, or 145913 frames. This improvement is the result of 3 new glitch findings, effectively cutting out almost all of Chapter 3, the end of Chapter 6, and the beginning of Chapter 7.
I've made 4 different encodes to give as many people as possible the best viewing experience possible. The main encodes I've made public on YouTube include my audio commentary within them.
Overlay w/o Audio Commentary:
No Overlay w/ Audio Commentary:
No Overlay w/o Audio Commentary:
(Allows for a 2 second intro already)

To sync the run:

• Emulator used: Dolphin 4.0.2 with a/v sync build: [dead link removed]
  • Idle Skipping Off
  • Dual Core Off
  • DSP LLE Recompiler
  • dsp_coef.bin and dsp_rom.bin dumped from Wii (instead of provided files)
  • No Memory Card

Objectives:

• Aims for fastest time
  • Manipulates luck
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Abuses programming errors in the game
  • Genre: RPG
I use the Japanese ISO with the MD5 checksum: 6ac3e517074b515948c4e0f28f01d9ef.
It also syncs on the MD5: bec52fb8c1912bc6f801b6281422

Game Overview

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door is an RPG developed by Intelligent Systems and is the second game in the Paper Mario series following Paper Mario for the Nintendo 64. It incorporates a world made of paper and turn-based battles, much like its predecessor. In it, Peach asks Mario to help find a treasure hidden in Rogueport. When he arrives, she is missing, as usual, and he must collect 7 Crystal Stars to save her and open the Thousand-Year Door to collect the treasure.

Game Addresses

Note: Addresses are different in the Japanese version than the English version.
NameOffset
X Coordinate0xAFF6EC
Y Coordinate0xAFF6F0
Z Coordinate0xAFF6F4
Base Speed0xAFF7E0
X, Z Speed0xAFF7EC
Mario's Angle0xAFF800
RNG0x4181A0
Mario's Hitbox0xAFF814

Improvements

Shadow Siren Respawn

After the Shadow Sirens fight in Chapter 2, I can fall out of bounds to the left, respawning me all the way next to the right loading zone. This saves time over walking over to the right.

Yoshi Skip

In my last TAS, I return to the Glitz Pit after defeating Macho Grubba because I need Yoshi in order to reach Chapter 4. Well, not anymore. After leaving encounters, there is a 1 frame window in which you can jump. I can trigger a battle while Mario jumps off of a pile of trash in the sewers, which is just high enough off the ground to let Mario clip up top with a double jump. This glitch is performed twice because I get rejected from the pipe the first time on purpose in order to talk to Darkly and gain access to Twilight Town. This also means the ticking is shortened by about 15 minutes!

Pirate's Grotto Early

Using a Goombella Buffer right after getting Bobbery, I maneuver out of bounds over to the right. I can get into the wall with paper mode because of paper mode's smaller hitbox. Since I'm inside the wall, I can use Bobbery and have him clip up top on the statue. Because he's inside of the wall, he can trigger the explosion of the entrance. I use a paper mode cutscene walk to skip an odd-looking cutscene with invisible characters.

Mega Rush Strats Revised

Instead of getting 3 Mega Rushes in the last TAS, I get 2. This is faster because I can still defeat the late-game bosses by dealing a few extra Power Bounces in a turn. I also get the Mega Rushes at different times. This is faster because instead of reloading the room to get both at the same time, I grab one on the way to Chapter 7 and grab the other on the way to Chapter 8. I grab the first Mega Rush in the same spot as the last TAS as I make my way up eastward to the glitch below, Teleporter Room Early. The second Mega Rush I grab from a Hammer Bro battle when going westward, which is faster when going down to The Thousand-Year Door.

Teleporter Room Early

The first mechanic of this glitch requires Mario to hold Bobbery over his head until he explodes. When he explodes, I hold down R. This causes Mario to walk as fast as normal but while in paper mode. In doing so, I can also open doors while in paper mode. This causes Mario to remain outside of the building when entering. Now the camera is rotated 90 degrees. From here, since I'm still outside of the building, I can perform a Flurrie Superslide, just like during Ultra Hammer Early. Because the camera is rotated, Mario moves down on Z-axis, relative to the screen's rotation. This means that I slide down into the Teleporter Room. Currently, the game doesn't think I'm in Chapter 7, so I have to read a note that makes the game think Mario is in Chapter 7. This skips grabbing the sixth Crystal Star, the Peach and Bowser intermissions, Fahr Outpost, and the General White Hunt. Just like Ultra Hammer Early, this is a Japanese-only glitch because of the superslide mechanics.

Author's Notes and Theoretical Improvements

I've absolutely had a blast TASing this game. People ask me how I feel about having to work on this game three times over. Quite frankly, I've enjoyed it. The experience I've had working with the people in the community has been great. We've broken the game down further and further. To think that the first TAS was over 1 hour and 15 minutes longer is absurd. That isn't to say that we're done.
I'd like to point out the fact that this TAS incorporated two of the three theoretical glitches listed in my last TAS submission. The only one left from that list is Riddle Tower Skip. This would cut out the second half of Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4, Chapter 5, and Chapter 6. This would save over an hour. We've tested many different glitch mechanics and scenarios. We've used Cheat Engine to test theories. We're still working on performing this glitch. Is there hope? I would say yes. Only hard work and time will tell, though.
In addition to Riddle Tower Skip, we've also theorized a Chapter 6 skip. There is only one room in Chapter 8 that you need the Ultra Boots from Chapter 6 for. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUj7WRW3o-o We've discovered you can land on the seam and go underneath the spikes. We don't have any way to jump high enough while using Mowz to trigger a Mowz glitch, like what was used to land on the seam in the first place. This would save around 15 minutes. The route would require me to go to Chapter 5, the Grotto, and then perform Teleporter Room Early.

Suggested Screenshot

596038 (Frame not VI)

Special Thanks

Almo, Andrick, Zeph, Nathanisbored, Cronikeys, Dsydude - Routing, glitch-hunting, etc.
TiWill_14 - Finding Ultra Hammer Early and Pirate's Grotto Early
SolidifiedGaming - Helping find Yoshi Skip and finding Teleporter Room Early
Until next time!

GoddessMaria: Judging~!
GoddessMaria: Excellent work with a excellent improvement, Malleoz!
Accepting as an improvement to the author's previous movie.
RGamma: Publishing...
RGamma: Cancelled by author. Improvement soon to come.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4771: Malleoz's GC Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door in 3:35:16.35
Editor, Experienced player (817)
In the beginning Malleoz created the heavens and the earth. The earth was formless and void, and darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of Malleoz was moving over the surface of the waters. Then Malleoz said, "Let there be light"; and there was light.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Former player
Holy crap, 40 minute time save! :D This being one of my favourite RPG's ever made you get a definite yes vote from me
Experienced player (962)
Fun fact: this was submitted on TTYD's 11th birthday!
Previous TASes: Frogger's Adventures: The Rescue Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door any% x 8 Paper Mario 64 Luigi's Mansion Sonic Heroes - Team Sonic Mario Kart Wii ILs
Who needs a thousand-year door when you can have...a three-hour door?
Editor, Expert player (2312)
this guy know's what he's doing yes
Editor
I love you Malleoz! Also I really commend the audio commentary, I wish more runs had these.
Editor, Experienced player (608)
I love it! Fantastic new glitches and strategies, and no mistakes. Unless those theoretical skips get found, I'd say this is the definitive TTYD TAS. Also enjoyed your commentary and the one with Almo on his stream, as always. Big yes vote!
Skilled player (1705)
With all those weird effects from reactivating chapters out of order, what happens if you activate a previous chapter AFTER you reach the credits, then attempted to fight a boss you skipped (Cortez for example)? Speaking of which, wonder could you fight the shadow queen twice..
Experienced player (962)
jlun2 wrote:
With all those weird effects from reactivating chapters out of order, what happens if you activate a previous chapter AFTER you reach the credits, then attempted to fight a boss you skipped (Cortez for example)? Speaking of which, wonder could you fight the shadow queen twice..
As a matter of fact, yes. Any revertible triggers that are present will allow you to set the game to that Chapter. Using this, you could actually end up doing the endgame sequence several times.
Previous TASes: Frogger's Adventures: The Rescue Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door any% x 8 Paper Mario 64 Luigi's Mansion Sonic Heroes - Team Sonic Mario Kart Wii ILs
The subtitles linked seem like they're for the old run.
Skilled player (1705)
Malleoz wrote:
jlun2 wrote:
As a matter of fact, yes. Any revertible triggers that are present will allow you to set the game to that Chapter. Using this, you could actually end up doing the endgame sequence several times.
That would make a rather odd 100% lol Actually now that I think of it, what would happen if you attempted a job at the help center that unlocks from later chapters, and without completing it, trigger the previous chapter before the job is available? And having every party member unlocked then doing chapter 3 again would be rather interesting...
Really_Tall
She/Her
Editor, Player (230)
jlun2 wrote:
Actually now that I think of it, what would happen if you attempted a job at the help center that unlocks from later chapters, and without completing it, trigger the previous chapter before the job is available?
Weird stuff can happen. For example you can complete the Twilight Town Mayor's trouble for him while he's a pig, and he'll talk to you and give you the item like nothing is wrong :P The troubles will be completable if you've accepted them, but if you cancel a trouble that you shouldn't have at that point in the storyline, it will mysteriously disappear. It should theoretically be possible to get Ms Mowz early as well, by triggering the Poshley Sanctum cutscene after doing UHE so all the troubles up to Chapter 6 appear, and doing hers. So you could get Ms Mowz with only 1 Crystal Star probably, and then still progress by setting the game back to Chapter 2.
Experienced player (962)
Tangent wrote:
I used most of the same subtitles since the route is the same for the beginning of the TAS.
Malleoz wrote:
Tangent wrote:
I used most of the same subtitles since the route is the same for the beginning of the TAS.
Not just most, all. It's the same link and file.
Experienced player (962)
Thank you for noticing that haha. I'll reupload and update it.
Great TAS, definitely liked watching those new skips... the timer was a bit grating on the ears after a while, but I suppose nothing could really be done about that. (Also the first encode had a 1 second delay on audio... for me, at least). Definite yes vote, really fun watch.
sick run (Edit: wait, I already commented lol)
FriedChckn wrote:
(Also the first encode had a 1 second delay on audio
same here
d-feather
He/Him
Every time I see you improve this, it pretty much puts a smile on my face. Yes vote.
:shrug: I'm more active on Twitter nowadays: @HunterCoates5
sack_bot
He/Him
Player (111)
Wait, uh, why do you need to get the boat ability twice?
Message me here for my discord. Current Project: Psycho Waluigi Project on wait list: None?
GoombaHeart
He/Him
What is with the Punis glitching up? Is that an emulator glitch? On a similar note, is it possible to win the fight against the jabbis with only 1 puni using RNG manipulation and Flurrie?
Shit tier TASer.
Editor, Experienced player (817)
GoombaHeart wrote:
What is with the Punis glitching up? Is that an emulator glitch?
Yes, emulator-only.
Former player
xy2_ wrote:
GoombaHeart wrote:
Yes, emulator-only.
Wasn't that glitch fixed in the newer versions of Dolphin?
Current project: Gex 3 any% Paused: Gex 64 any% There are no N64 emulators. Just SM64 emulators with hacky support for all the other games.
andypanther wrote:
xy2_ wrote:
GoombaHeart wrote:
Yes, emulator-only.
Wasn't that glitch fixed in the newer versions of Dolphin?
Malleoz has stated that other things broke in exchange.