Submission Text Full Submission Page
This submission has been cancelled in light of my latest video: #4785: CogneatoSwitch's NES Nobunaga's Ambition "17 Fiefs" in 23:24.39
A brief run-through of the classic Japanese Strategy game, Nobunaga's Ambition

Game objectives

• 17 Fiefs
  • 10 Seasons
  • 12 Wars (9 Attacks, 3 Defenses)
  • 62 Fief commands
  • Emulator used: BizHawk 1.9.1

Comments

I've played Nobunaga's Ambition since I was 6, but only recently have I gotten the tools to TAS it.
The game takes place in feudal Japan during the Sengoku era, also known as the Era of War. The player plays as one of the daimyos fighting to unify Japan.
Japanese history shows that Oda Nobunaga (the game's namesake) had conquered most of Japan by 1582, and is considered the first of the three unifiers of the era, succeeded by Toyotomi Hideyoshi and Tokugawa Ieyasu, which seemed to affect the ideal starting fief.
Since Hideyoshi rose to power from peasantry, he cannot be selected as a daimyo, despite being credited for unifying Japan, however, both Oda and Tokugawa are selectable.
The game starts with a series of menus to setup the game. In this case, I chose 17 fiefs and a difficulty of 1, since they would yield the fastest video. I'd like to try again with 50 fiefs at some later point.

Fief by fief comments

Fief 8 (Tokugawa)

Of all the starting fiefs, fief 8 (Tokugawa) and fief 17 (Oda) had the best starting statistics. I chose fief 8 for its access to weaker fiefs.

Fief 7 and 3 (Imagawa and Hojo)

These fiefs were conquered quickly by assassinating the lords and out-bidding the neighbors. After that, I was unable to assassinate, so instead I adjusted the taxes to improve income until I could attack.

Fief 16 (Takeda)

The attack on fief 16 was pretty straight-forward. Attacking from fief 7 was best since fief 7 was isolated, allowing me to use all my men without fear of being attacked.

Fief 17 (Oda part 1)

I was attacked by fief 17, but I was able to manipulate the AI to layout their troops so poorly I was able to kill their leader in the first turn. I immediately counter attacked afterward, winning the fief. I was lucky enough to have fief 17 as the first turn of the next season to fortify my new land.

Fief 4, Fief 2, and Fief 1 (Uesugi)

By this time, Uesugi had taken over fiefs 1, 2, and 4, but the lord himself resided in fief 2. After fief 2 depleted its troops, I had enough troops to take fief 2, but found when I did the lord would flee to fief 4. So I attacked fief 4 first and then attacked fief 2 to kill him, winning fief 1 in the process.

Fief 6 (Anekoji)

Shortly after taking over fief 4, I was attacked by fief 6. I counter attacked as soon as possible, winning fief 6.

Fief 5 and 13 (Asakura and Kitabata)

Another round of assassins got Fief 5 and 13. Fief 12 was also up for grabs, but I was unable to bid on it because I didn't have a neighboring fief.

Fief 9 (Oda part 2)

Oda was now positioned in fief 9, which had access to many of my fiefs and was a great threat. I didn't have enough men and gold in the same place to launch a single attack to take over fief 9, and moving the resources would have taken 2 seasons, so I opted for two separate attacks, the first one losing. This maneuver was the biggest trade between time and seasons.
For my second attack, I lead the army personally, which moved my lord to fief 9. This was done so I could have more money to bid on future assassinations.

Fief 10, 12, and 14 (Tsutsui, Asai, and Ashigaka)

More assassinations.

Fief 15 (Miyoshi)

This was by far the most difficult battle. I had expanded too quickly, which made it difficult to get enough men and gold in the same place to attack. Plus, Miyoshi's troops has superior training and arms, making attacks with fewer men fail.
However, I managed to gather enough troops by sending gold from all over to fief 10, and moving men from the newly acquired fiefs 13 and 14. I also played much more defensively than usual, which ultimately gave me enough troops to win.

Fief 11 (Saya)

The last fief was more or less a formality. I had moved my remaining men to fief 9, where I launched an attack of 379 men against his 52. He didn't have a chance.

Possible improvements

I haven't quite figured out when bidding isn't allowed. For example, I was able to assassinate fief 11 earlier, but I wasn't allowed to bid. Perhaps I'm not allowed to win by assassination? Or maybe I needed to move my leader to that portion of the map?
I also could have optimized my second battle against Oda better, perhaps employing a bait and counter strategy to reduce his troops instead of two frontal attacks.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Skilled player (1705)
Never played this game, so what does the branch even mean?
jlun2 wrote:
Never played this game, so what does the branch even mean?
There are two game modes, 17 fiefs or 50 fiefs. You can think of it as map size if you want, although since each fief has specific stats and a setup, it's a little different than that.
Skilled player (1650)
It's exciting to see another Koei strategy game submission. Hopefully, this one will reach publication. Assassination helps to streamline this game in particular. I think that Scenario 2 (50 fiefs) would merit its own branch.
Oh, something I just now noticed, it's set on the easiest difficulty. That's not generally good. I also have to wonder about the strategy since it seems counter to speed. Since taking out the leader gives all the territories they had, wouldn't it be better to give the AI a bunch of weak neighbors to easily conquer so you can sweep them all up in one push later? Caveat, I don't remember the game well enough to really remember how weak Tokugawa's neighbors are or how lazy the AI is about conquering, but I imagine it's fairly lazy on the low difficulty.
Skilled player (1650)
Too bad about the difficulty. Skill Level 5 provides a +20 bonus to every attribute of every enemy Daimyo and enemy Fief. This would definitely be preferred. Skill Level does not affect enemy AI directly.
Player (23)
This was my first TAS, and I didn't know the harder difficulty was preferred over speed. I will map out a level 5 solution as well. However, I believe assassination is based on the leader's stats, so there will be fewer assassinations and thus a much longer video. In this particular scenario, Imagawa and Hojo were much weaker and were taken out more easily. When choosing Oda, I found no assassinations available. However, with a level 5 difficulty, I will likely change my routing. Taking out the leader in battle gives all the fiefs, but if they are assassinated, you have to bid on each one, and even then I wasn't able to bid in some cases. Gaining fiefs by killing the leader is tricky: they will typically run before there is an opportunity for victory, but a solution may be available using save states, though I was unable to find one when attacking Uesugi at Fief 2 (before attacking Fief 4 to cut him off). I believe the fastest way to victory is to bait enemies to attack and use TAS to kill leaders and gain men when not your turn. In the cases the leader leads the army, then you'll gain their land too. I was also wondering, is wall-clock speed or season count preferred for this TAS? The strategies will be vastly different, as assassinations or even waiting for enemies to die of old age could be much faster than fighting battles. Also, putting grants on certain fiefs will speed things up, but sacrifice the gold and rice that could be sent, taking more seasons to attack.
"Gaining fiefs by killing the leader is tricky: they will typically run before there is an opportunity for victory, but a solution may be available using save states, though I was unable to find one when attacking Uesugi at Fief 2 (before attacking Fief 4 to cut him off). " Well, that's what a TAS is for. If you can acquire all the fiefs by killing the leader, however remote the odds, then this is the best strategy for conquest.
XYZ
Former player
Encode, please. About difficulty: even in GameFaqs of this game written that N'sA very hard on small levels, so Skill level is not so important factor.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
I can't usually enjoy most runs of strategy games (especially since I haven't played a lot of them), and I couldn't really follow along for longer than 5 minutes. The lack of music is part of the reason for that. Since I couldn't finish watching the movie, I won't vote. I will say, though, that it's quite impressive to do a strategy run as your first TAS, since there's a lot of luck manipulation and experimenting to do. In my opinion, it's fine by me that this submission uses the default difficulty. (For some precedent on this, check out the run history for Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones.) There could always be another submission in the future with 50 fiefs and the hardest difficulty to provide the most contrast from this run.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Player (23)
So I'm having a LOT of trouble even getting started in level 5. Not only does the computer have a significant starting advantage, every action I take is only about 20% as effective. Even when attacked with equal armies, I cannot kill their leader, despite getting 4 attacks. (The enemy kills my leader the following turn) I still have an idea of killing everyone by assassination, so I'm not ready to give up yet. As an alternative to difficulty, I could map solutions based on starting fief. Fief 1, 9 and 12 are notoriously weak and are generally killed within the first few seasons. It would fulfill a childhood challenge for me to beat the game starting from fief 9, and I do intend to create a solution for that on level 1. @mklip2001 I don't blame you for not watching all the way through. With the menus going by so quickly, it's difficult to tell what's going on, and I found the music causes a bit of lag, so I turned both off for the sake of speed. If folks think I should slow it down to make it more interesting, I am willing to oblige, as I don't think either the wait or the music affect the RNG.
Skilled player (1650)
I'm impressed by your dedication! Not everyone is so willing to accept criticism. I think you will do well here.
BigBoct
He/Him
Editor, Former player
CogneatoSwitch wrote:
I was also wondering, is wall-clock speed or season count preferred for this TAS? The strategies will be vastly different, as assassinations or even waiting for enemies to die of old age could be much faster than fighting battles. Also, putting grants on certain fiefs will speed things up, but sacrifice the gold and rice that could be sent, taking more seasons to attack.
Length of game input (wall clock) is the typical metric we measure by, but turn count is equally valid. If the two provide distinct viewing experiences, as you seem to think they would, then both of them might be publishable. This run might still be publishable as well, if it provides that distinct viewing experience from the Level 5 run you've started.
Previous Name: boct1584
Post subject: Better Harder Faster...
Player (23)
Well I did it. Not only did I get a TAS for Level 5, it's also faster. I managed to beat the game using all assassinations except for the last battle. http://tasvideos.org/4785S.html http://tasvideos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16989 The assassination-only victory doesn't have the same feel, so I don't consider it the same as this original run, even though it is significantly faster.
TASVideosGrue
They/Them
om, nom, nom... blech, salty!