Zaxxon, first released in arcade form in 1982, was the first game to employ axonometric projection, which lent its name to the game (AXXON from AXONometric projection). The type of axonometric projection is isometric projection: this effect simulated three dimensions from a third-person viewpoint. It was also one of the first video games to display shadows, to indicate the ship's altitude above the surface. The ColecoVision version, designed by Coleco staffer Lawrence Schick, was the first home version to use the isometric graphics.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: BizHawk 1.11.1
  • Plays on hardest difficulty (level 4)
  • Defeats Zaxxon as quickly as possible

Comments

I decided to TAS this game because many years ago my brother-in-law and I were given a free Zaxxon arcade game in exchange for some computer repair work we did. I still remember trying to figure out how to get it in my station wagon to get it home and hauling the heavy cabinet up a flight of stairs. The game was in rough shape and the joystick was pretty messed up but the cabinet art was intact and I enjoyed the feeling of having an arcade game at home. I figure it's high time I paid tribute to the game, so here's a TAS of it.
I chose the ColecoVision port of Zaxxon largely because it has the least ambiguous goal choice because this particular port allows you to set the difficulty when starting the game. This causes many in-game elements to immediately start at their hardest difficulty, such as force fields and gun turrets as well as the number of shots required to defeat Zaxxon. Information on the ColecoVision port's rules can be found in the game's manual courtesy of the Internet Archive. General information on the arcade variant (which contains a flag mechanic that increases the difficulty every time you defeat Zaxxon rather than allowing you to set the difficulty at the start) can be found at the Zaxxon StrategyWiki page. In this port, defeating Zaxxon on the hardest difficulty level does not appear to have any impact on enemy patterns in future levels and the manual does not make any reference to the difficulty increasing further so this appears to complete the game.
The ColecoVision port has rather slow redraw rates for the background but foreground objects can move much more smoothly. There is substantially less detail than the arcade equivalent and there are some minor tweaks to the rules (such as requiring you to hit Zaxxon two more times than the current difficulty level, i.e. 6 times on difficulty level 4) but overall it is a very faithful port in comparison to the vastly different Atari 2600 and Intellivision ports.
The game is logically comprised of three sections described below.

First platform

The first portion involves flying over obstacles and firing at ground-based turrets while avoiding launched missiles. Luck manipulation is used to prevent some missiles from firing at all and others to blow up while causing no damage. I show off some of the odd ways you have to look at the things you are firing at by hitting distant objects before hitting closer targets and by moving around somewhat to demonstrate the range of movement.

Outer space

At the end of the first platform the first fighter plane appears. It's difficult to judge where you need to be in the 3-dimensional space when playing normally (especially in outer space where there's no shadow to help guide you) but of course this is trivial in in a TAS. There are several waves of fighters with each wave taken down using different methods. The last wave demonstrates an odd property - all of the planes fly in at the same angle and as long as you shoot them before their shots hit you their shots won't kill you.

Second platform

The second platform has far more challenging obstacles and includes walls you have to fly over and force fields you have to fly under (at the same time). There are flying saucer type enemies in groups of three that are easily dispatched as well as a few stray fighters. At the end of the second platform is Zaxxon; this is the only part of the run that can be shortened so I put some time into sorting out his movement. I move toward the bottom of the screen at the lowest altitude to manipulate where Zaxxon appears then move in-line with the rocket and fire 6 shots in two groups of three which allowed the fastest way to end input.

Other comments

Overall I'm happy with how this turned out, although the movement is somewhat jerky due to the hardware limitations of the console. I've observed that TAS's tend to be a bit more "digital" in movement and it's especially noticeable in this game, especially near the beginning of the first platform. I tried to move in ways that would be typical of realtime play where possible and I also tried to make several close calls for entertainment. The rerecord count is somewhat low as I did testing in another file prior to making this movie but this game is short enough that it's not worth bothering over. If other ports have an obvious conclusion like this one does I might run through those as well, especially if feedback is good. Enjoy!

ars4326: Judging!
ars4326: Hi, DwangoAC. To begin, I went ahead and removed 'hardest difficulty' from the branch name since I believe that will be sufficiently understood by the sub category (uses hardest difficulty). Also, to address the brought up issue of triviality, I uncovered a decent general playthrough which demonstrates that this game does require a considerable level of skill; and thus, makes an optimized TAS look that much more impressive, by comparison.
As for the movie itself, it was an enjoyable watch for what it was. I liked how you included in the little things for added entertainment value, such as luck manipulating the missile silos, and manipulating fired shots in the asteroid field to just miss your ship. All in all, a good clean-looking run of an old arcade classic. Nice work!
Accepting for publication to the Vault!
Spikestuff: puts on earmuffs

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4802: dwangoAC's Coleco Zaxxon in 01:55.89
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
Providing the temp of a temp kind. Turn the audio down, no seriously. TURN THE AUDIO DOWN: Link to video turn down for what?
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Invariel
He/Him
Editor, Site Developer, Player (169)
I had hours of fun with Zaxxon on the ColecoVision in my early years, though I don't think I ever managed to beat the boss. Judging by the run, I came awfully close. All of that said, lots of projectiles should have hit you but didn't, and you trivialized an early 80s arcade game. I have to vote yes.
I am still the wizard that did it. "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -- Satoru Iwata <scrimpy> at least I now know where every map, energy and save room in this game is
Man, I think I remember this game on my old Commodore 64k. I got completely wrecked by it; my puny brain at the time couldn't cope with 3D navigation (hell, I had trouble with tasks like "not mashing the fire button") and I just crashed into everything. Thanks for the TAS, dwangoAC, and thanks for the encode, Spikestuff!
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
PCachu
He/Him
Ow ow ow. Whoever thought that high-pitched keening sound was a good idea needs to be kicked in the teeth. Thanks for the warning, Spike.
Active player (257)
"What do you mean I accidentally programmed the music track in octave 9? sigh Whatever. Ship it!" is the conversation I imagine. Regardless, the TAS itself looks pretty good, and isn't too long. Yes vote. That said, I wonder if the "Hardest difficulty" part should be removed from the run title. Seeing as using the hardest difficulty would be what the player would want to do anyway - especially given how short the game is.
Somewhat damaged.
Moderator, Senior Ambassador, Experienced player (898)
TehBerral wrote:
I wonder if the "Hardest difficulty" part should be removed from the run title. Seeing as using the hardest difficulty would be what the player would want to do anyway - especially given how short the game is.
I'm not opposed - I'll leave it up to the judge to decide. Thanks for the feedback!
I was laid off in May 2023 and could use support via Patreon or onetime donations as I work on TASBot Re: and TASBot HD. I'm dwangoAC, part of the senior staff of TASVideos as the Senior Ambassador and BDFL of the TASBot community; I post TAS content on YouTube.com/dwangoAC based on livestreams from Twitch.tv/dwangoAC.
It's a ridiculously basic autoscroller that is utterly trivial to TAS. The only part that requires even a modicum of thought is the boss, and even that's pretty much "shoot as soon as possible." The rerecord count backs that up too. How does this meet the standards for standing out from casual save states, or even just regular play with some practice? Even the one-shot thing isn't impressive because the game normally signals you when you're lined up with an enemy.
EgixBacon
He/Him
Player (181)
Ow! My sensitive dino-rabbit ears can't take it! God, please, make it stop! ... Anyway, I don't think this was a good game choice. It's just an auto-scroller with a short boss fight at the end... Don't take this the wrong way, dwango, but you could have chosen, like, any other Coleco game. Sorry, but it's a No from me. P.S. Yay, my name's been changed! Thanks, Staff!
FanFiction|Youtube Still on Win7! Take that, Microsoft!
EgixBacon wrote:
...you could have chosen, like, any other Coleco game.
Er, it's the other way around, I chose Zaxxon first and ended up using the ColecoVision port because it had the ability to start on the hardest difficulty. The regrettable sound in this port is a far cry from the arcade original. I suspect anyone who actually played this game understands the difficulty of lining up shots - compare this run to let's plays and you'll notice how many bullets they have to fire just to figure out where they are in the 3D space and you'll see what I mean. This run definitely isn't for everyone, though, and I'm not offended by the feedback. Thanks for your thoughts!
I was laid off in May 2023 and could use support via Patreon or onetime donations as I work on TASBot Re: and TASBot HD. I'm dwangoAC, part of the senior staff of TASVideos as the Senior Ambassador and BDFL of the TASBot community; I post TAS content on YouTube.com/dwangoAC based on livestreams from Twitch.tv/dwangoAC.
Invariel
He/Him
Tangent wrote:
Even the one-shot thing isn't impressive because the game normally signals you when you're lined up with an enemy.
Actually, that crosshairs only appears in the case of enemy planes; it doesn't appear for ground enemies.
I am still the wizard that did it. "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -- Satoru Iwata <scrimpy> at least I now know where every map, energy and save room in this game is
Skilled player (1650)
This is definitely worthy of a TAS. It is a unique classic, and notoriously difficult. It's unfortunate that Final Burn Alpha does not support the arcade version, but this port is actually quite impressive for ColecoVision.
Glad to see more ColecoVision TAS. A yes vote from me.
dwangoAC wrote:
EgixBacon wrote:
...you could have chosen, like, any other Coleco game.
Er, it's the other way around, I chose Zaxxon first and ended up using the ColecoVision port because it had the ability to start on the hardest difficulty. The regrettable sound in this port is a far cry from the arcade original. I suspect anyone who actually played this game understands the difficulty of lining up shots - compare this run to let's plays and you'll notice how many bullets they have to fire just to figure out where they are in the 3D space and you'll see what I mean. This run definitely isn't for everyone, though, and I'm not offended by the feedback. Thanks for your thoughts!
It's only hard because the graphics/style make positioning confusing, which isn't really a problem in a TAS. Also, difficulty in a TAS and difficulty in regular play are two extremely different things. See: Almost every zapper and Wario Ware game.
Well okay, so you don't find the run entertaining. It's probably Vault material anyway, simply because it's an autoscroller with limited options for entertainment. Maybe it wouldn't have been "publishable" in the old days, but the site's rules are different now.
So if this is publishable, then what auto scrollers are not? And this: "the game does require a considerable level of skill", plenty of games have been excluded for triviality where this also holds true, like the Wario Ware games as I already mentioned. What makes this special? The ear piercing sounds? I really disagree with the judge's decision here and it sets a poor precedent for accepting any of a billion things for the vault that can be run without even using slow motion.
As far as I'm aware, currently the only games that are not eligible for Vault-quality publications are uninteresting board games and non-notable amateur games (c.f. ROM hacks). So yes, there's plenty of room for publication of tons of autoscrollers, if people decide they actually want to make optimal TASes for them. I'd expect the kind of person who makes a "vanity TAS" (i.e. just wants to get a run published, any run) to not even be able to do an autoscroller optimally, though.
Derakon wrote:
As far as I'm aware, currently the only games that are not eligible for Vault-quality publications are uninteresting board games and non-notable amateur games (c.f. ROM hacks).
You're mistaken. There are plenty of games listed in the rules above and beyond just Wario Ware, most notably sports games, particularly those on a fixed clock, as well as rhythm games (Space Channel 5) / reaction games (Dragon's Lair). This (and auto-scrollers in general) is on a fixed clock aside from the boss, which lasts less than 2 seconds. The rest is similarly trivial.
Invariel
He/Him
So, we should unpublish Gradius and every other auto-scrolling shooter?
Tangent wrote:
This (and auto-scrollers in general) is on a fixed clock aside from the boss, which lasts less than 2 seconds. The rest is similarly trivial.
Invariel wrote:
Tangent, I am somewhat worried that this is indeed how you feel, although don't take this as me putting words in your mouth. I've certainly done auto-shooters before, such as [1576] FDS Otocky by dwangoAC in 17:52.02 - do you consider that something that shouldn't be published? For that matter, [2836] GC Ikaruga "2 players, maximum score" by keylie in 21:29.40 is a Stars tier run but is definitely an auto-scroller in every sense of the word - should that be thrown out as well? I realize that I'm both an inclusionist and the author of a couple of games in this category and thus I'm quite biased but I think it would be a huge loss to eliminate auto-scrollers entirely. If there's one thing I discovered from the feedback of showing Ikaruga at SGDQ 2015 it's that auto-scrollers and shoot-em-up's are very divisive; people either love them or hate them. I happen to like them due to the sheer difficulty and nostalgia but I recognize that not everyone will, and that's OK. I do hope you can concede that these types of runs are interesting to some and aren't doing harm to the site, but I also realize you have very strong opinions on the matter. :)
Invariel wrote:
Gradius isn't published to the vault and is not subject to the vault's rules. Edit: Neither are the other two examples you posted and are therefore not relevant in the slightest. Might I suggest Duck Hunt or Vapor Trail as your counter examples instead? Tangentially, I don't know why Duck Hunt is acceptable, but Dragon's Lair (or Wario Ware since it's much more complex than either) is not. Both are simply pressing a single obvious input on the first frame. They are equally trivial and fail the required standard of having user creativity affecting the game.
Invariel
He/Him
Dragon's Lair is exactly the same series of inputs, regardless of when you start, because that is how the game is designed. Duck Hunt has some randomness to it as to where (and when?) the ducks appear. I really don't see what you have against Zaxxon, except that you /really/ hate it for some reason.
Invariel wrote:
Dragon's Lair is exactly the same series of inputs, regardless of when you start, because that is how the game is designed. Duck Hunt has some randomness to it as to where (and when?) the ducks appear.
A.) The rooms are randomly shuffled, and certain ones can be (and half the time are) reversed, so no, that's not true. It has just as much trivially managed randomness. B.) There's at least one room where the speed you press the correct button controls the timing of when you move to the next scene, possibly more, so a 'speed' record is just as possible as Duck Hunt's.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2931] Coleco Zaxxon by dwangoAC in 01:55.89