Umihara no Naku Kawase Shun is a Japanese murder mystery game with some really innovative fishing segments. You Reading This is a very disappointed submission text reader who feels as though Samsara could have come up with a better intro.

This Run Is "Slower" Because Of More Accurate Emulation

To be more specific, this run has a longer input time because of the PSX BIOS being included. I'm putting this at the front because there has been more than one recent occasion where some blind TAS watcher votes No for the run being "slower" even though all of the gameplay segments are improved.
So maybe adding a long section where people will see it might help... but then again, I've overestimated the people on this forum before.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: BizHawk 1.11.1
  • Aims for fastest in-game time, technically
  • I'm not doing water puns again
  • You remember what happened last time
  • Yeah, I thought so
  • I don't want the thread flooded with puns
  • WAIT
  • OH NO

Author's Encode

(removed, sorry!)

Comments

Umihara Kawase Shun, aside from a phrase you should always reply to with "gesundheit", is part of the Umihara Kawase series. Until recently, the Umihara Kawase series was Japan-only, but the most recent games are making their way stateside. Could this description get any more stentorian? Let me try.
Shun is the 2nd game in the series, obviously released on PSX, but it was packaged with the first game and ported to the DS, with a couple added features and some changes to the levels. Shun plays a bit slower than the original game, but the physics are mostly the same between the games aside from the line being a bit shorter.
This run is 516 frames faster than the published run in terms of in-game frames. Like the SNES Umihara Kawase run, I initially had this run finished, but decided to check one last time for alternate TASes and ended up finding a Nico TAS of the DS version. Even more coincidentally, the run I found was from TKDL, the same TASer whose run I found last time. Apart from the first, every Field in this run either matches or beats TKDL's times.

Stage Comparisons

Thanks to Spikestuff for making this section possible.
FIELDMukkiSamsaraFrames Improved

Field-by-Field Comments

Field 00

This Field is around a second slower than TKDL's TAS, and there's a very good reason why that is. If we hearken back to the run comments, I mentioned that the DS port has extra features and some changes to the levels. The extra features aren't really anything to write home about, because they're in Japanese and no one at my home would understand it, but Field 00 in the DS port actually has extra platforms and less enemies, which allows for a different and faster route through. This is the only Field in the run where that's relevant. The rest of the Fields in the run are unchanged in the DS port and thus completely comparable.
The bulk of the improvement is made up through better line control and the faster strategy at the end. The first swing up onto the platform, though it looks innocuous, was actually one of the tougher things in the run to get. Mukki wasn't able to get it in his run, but after working on it for an hour or so I finally managed to get Umihara to cooperate.

Field 11

I get a bigger swing than TKDL which lets me come in slightly faster, though I have to hook the ground to bring myself down in order to actually go into the door.

Field 23

One of the more interesting and tough to optimize strategies in the run. An odd little bit of physics abuse happens where jumping off of the slope actually lets me jump forward at full speed without the need to accelerate.

Field 14

Probably the stage I spent the second most time on overall. One of the problems with Umihara TASing is that there are so many places where you can potentially lose time, so if you're comparing to another TAS and you end up behind, then you pretty much have to go back through the entire stage several times over to see where you might've gone wrong. The end bit with the fast swing up onto the door platform was the trickiest part. It requires a pretty precise angle and really good line control.

Field 15

Thankfully this stage was already faster than TKDL's. Everything is mostly similar to Mukki's run except more optimized.

Field 35

The longest stage in the run! There's a lot of trickery with the line here. The last jump and swing in particular was a pain, but it paid off since I improved TKDL's time by a frame.

Field 36

A short stage that's a hell of a lot trickier than it looks, since it requires really precise control and a little bit of physics abuse.

Field 31

Spikestuff pointed out that a realtime run of this stage was about half a second faster than the published run, and that's what inspired me to give the game a look in the first place. I ended up taking that 30 frames of improvement and shaving another 2 seconds off of it by being able to slip past the right tadpole and put myself in a much better position to get under the left one at the earliest possible opportunity.

Field 30

This Field took about 8 hours of work total. Despite being one of the shorter stages in the run, it was also the hardest to properly optimize. Every swing, hook placement, and lengthening/shortening of the line is frame-precise, otherwise the entire strategy falls apart. I did find that it is possible to jump off of the slanted spikes if you land on them the right way, but it doesn't save any time.

Other comments

All in all, I always have fun TASing Umihara games. I'm still thinking about going back to the SNES version and seeing what I can do about improving Sightseeing and possibly trying to shave a few frames off of any%, but I feel like I have much bigger projects to worry about in the meantime.

Special Thanks

• Biggest thanks to TKDL, the prime Umihara Kawase TASer out there. Without their TASes, both the SNES Sightseeing run and this run wouldn't be nearly as fast as they are
  • Extra thanks to Spikestuff for cluing me in on the Field 31 improvement and for finding the in-game framecounts of the published run so I could properly compare times
  • Shoutouts to arandomgameTASer, xy2_, ars4326, dekutony, and anyone else supporting me in the IRC for being chill and motivating
  • Extra shoutouts to moozooh, who can't fault me for deviating from the proper Sightseeing path this time. HA! IN YOUR FACE! pls enjoy the run :c

Screenshot Suggestion

Frame 4835, 6618, 7517

ars4326: Claimed for judging!
ars4326: Hello again, Samsara. Closer watching the two runs side-by-side (and compensating for the difference in loading times), it was evident that the gameplay optimizations made were very significant over Mukki's TAS. Good to see that every stage was improved upon (and that you also took the initiative to match, or exceed, TKDL's work, too). Overall, remarkable work and dedication on this one!
Accepting as an improvement (better emulation and optimization) to the published run!
Spikestuff: Publishing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4820: Samsara's PSX Umihara Kawase Shun in 02:20.41
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
Nice.
Alyosha
He/Him
Editor, Expert player (3522)
Awesome! Every level looked really smooth. I can rarely watch any TAS to the end, even short ones like this, but something about Umihara Kawase makes it really fun to watch, and I'm impressed at the level of improvement too, well done! Do you think you have leveled up enough to try your hand at flagitous' run Samsara? I've always wondered if there was a frame to save there, even one, but could never do it. Even TKDL just copied flagitious in all the levels in the any% run.
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
Alyosha wrote:
Do you think you have leveled up enough to try your hand at flagitous' run Samsara? I've always wondered if there was a frame to save there, even one, but could never do it. Even TKDL just copied flagitious in all the levels in the any% run.
I'm pretty sure I managed to save a couple frames in Field 1, but it was offset by more lag in later stages. I might give it a shot in the future and aim purely for IGT, though I wouldn't expect more than a couple frames of improvement overall. flagitious' run is ridiculously tight given how long ago it was made.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
Nice. Umihara Kawase games make for good TASes; always glad to see a new run of them on the workbench.
Pyrel - an open-source rewrite of the Angband roguelike game in Python.
Jules
Any
Skilled player (1144)
This game has the best music, omg. The biggest flaw in this TAS is that you don't get to hear certain tracks for very long : (
Editor, Experienced player (608)
You go, Samsara! Cranking out these well-done TASes like nobody's business. This was a nice run, and quite a bit more entertaining than the previous one. Voting Yes!
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
The loading times feel fairly inconsistent, but I can live with that. This was a great run. The difference between this run and Mukki's is a lot bigger than I expected.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
Editor, Experienced player (817)
sweet ass run yo, yes vote
Editor, Expert player (2015)
Yes vote of course! Fast and entertaining.
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
Editor, Skilled player (1505)
That was really great, Yes vote.
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
Zarmakuizz
He/Him
Watching this run made me wonder if there was a game based on Boku no Piko.
Nice Spider-Man TAS. Wait a minute, is actually Umihara Kawase. She looks so agile when grabbing ceilings, walls, and all the pendulum-like moves, I can't help but comparing her to him, or to Indiana Jones. She's this awesome. Absolute yes vote.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2945] PSX Umihara Kawase Shun by Samsara in 02:21.94
Hi. I love this game and follow TKDL on twitter. It seems like your times are actually all slower or equal to TKDL's best? For example, their record for F11 is 4:56.00 https://onedrive.live.com/?id=889B1157913CBFE3%21282&cid=889B1157913CBFE3&group=0&parId=889B1157913CBFE3%21143&o=OneUp I apologize if I'm mistaken!
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Got a question for you mattk210. Where were you when this was submitted? If it's true (cause I'm not downloading that) then it was vital information when this was submitted.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Jules
Any
Skilled player (1144)
There's nothing to download, it's a streaming video (and yes, it's legitimate).
Editor, Expert player (2015)
mattk210 wrote:
Hi. I love this game and follow TKDL on twitter. It seems like your times are actually all slower or equal to TKDL's best? For example, their record for F11 is 4:56.00 https://onedrive.live.com/?id=889B1157913CBFE3%21282&cid=889B1157913CBFE3&group=0&parId=889B1157913CBFE3%21143&o=OneUp I apologize if I'm mistaken!
Couldn't have mentioned this a bit sooner? No offence of course, but if this was mentioned before publication then it could have been implemented without creating another submission. Also, is there links to TKDL's umihara records? Those would be extremely helpful for runners in the future so this sort of deal doesn't happen again.
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
Jules
Any
Skilled player (1144)
I don't know, I'd like to assume that they weren't eagerly withholding this information until the publication came up and pounced. They aren't exactly a frequent poster.
Samsara
She/They
Back when I was working on the SNES sightseeing run, I found the OneDrive via Youtube and brought it to the attention of the rest of the team. We used it extensively to fully optimize our submitted run, only to have TKDL comment on the video with a Nico link saying there are further improvements. Apart from that specific Youtube video, I found no other mentions of this OneDrive anywhere. So am I really to blame for missing a batch of videos on a basically private link that has, in the past, lead to the submission of a suboptimal run? I know it's legitimate and I don't care. I'm not going to be the one to grind out new strategies for another 50 hours just to submit a slightly faster run, only to have another entirely different person comment on how there are still faster times out there on some even more obscure service.
warmCabin wrote:
Yes, I check this site very infrequently. But it looks like the time from submission to publication was only a few days, give me a break! As far as I know, TKDL announces all his records on twitter, and sometimes even streams his work. But obviously everything is all in Japanese. Probably he has some listing of all his records, I'll have a look later (I'm typing this just before takeoff on a plane!)
Gay
Former player
I wish there was an easier way to find records made by japan TAS. Now the only way I see, just go Nicovideo and plug in the Japanese name, (that can be hard to find). I was making a race of a unique Japanese NES game and only at the last moment I find a complete Nicovideo race. There was no mention of this game tasvideos, and yet there was already a tas, which had tricks I did not see. Where these Taser Japanese use as site? Is there japan equivalent to Tasvideos?
Gay Dominguez Jr.
Samsara
She/They
Gay wrote:
I wish there was an easier way to find records made by japan TAS. Now the only way I see, just go Nicovideo and plug in the Japanese name, (that can be hard to find). I was making a race of a unique Japanese NES game and only at the last moment I find a complete Nicovideo race. There was no mention of this game tasvideos, and yet there was already a tas, which had tricks I did not see. Where these Taser Japanese use as site? Is there japan equivalent to Tasvideos?
Yeah, it's really hard to find Nico TASes occasionally, especially when they're hosted offsite on an entirely different service that isn't linked anywhere obvious. I usually just find the Japanese name of the game and plug it into Google along with TAS. That usually brings out most of the Japanese TASes.
warmCabin wrote:
ALAKTORN
He/Him
Player (99)
mattk210 wrote:
Yes, I check this site very infrequently. But it looks like the time from submission to publication was only a few days, give me a break!
Yeah, what’s up with that? I thought it was a rule that all submissions had to stay for at least 7 days before any judgement was passed upon them.
Samsara
She/They
ALAKTORN wrote:
Yeah, what’s up with that? I thought it was a rule that all submissions had to stay for at least 7 days before any judgement was passed upon them.
Three days, not seven.
warmCabin wrote: