(Link to video)
Yabba-dabba-doo! This is improvement of 4649 frames (or 1 minute and 17 seconds) over the khv-user's submission.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: Gens Rerecording v11c
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Uses death to save time
  • Uses secret bonus (warps)
  • Genre: Platform

About the Game

The Flintstones a classic 2D platform video game based on the famous Flintstones animated series from 1960s. Developed by Taito Corporation released in 1993, exclusively for the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis. There are six levels, in each one Fred must to complete a small quests: to retrieve a lost necklace for his wife, to item find his daughter lost in desert, liberate pterodactyls race from the yoke of the evil witch and etc. The gameplay involves mostly jumping and hitting the enemies on the heads with a heavy cudgel. During the game Fred will find many useful items, some of them that will increase his health or increase speed of power charging his cudgel, besides he can meet with friendly pterodactyls egg which will follow him everywhere until hatching or death. In the end of in all but one levels there is a boss battle. Changing the difficulty to hard increase Bosses HP, no sense to prolonged boss battles => so normal mode is the best choose for speed and for entertainment purposes.

Improvements table

LevelImprovement (frames)Improvement (seconds)
Bed Rock 338 [1] 5.63
Swimming Pool 73012.16
Desert Drive 130.21
Dino Express 135722.61
Fire Rock 122720.45
Hard Rock 98416.4
Total 4649 1:17.48
[1] JPN version have advantages over USA. Some frames were lost because of USA/JPN difference.

Level by Level

The Flintstones probably one of laggiest games in observed universe. So significant part of improvements came from lag reduction. Some other tricks/changes/optimisation i will describe briefly below.

Bed Rock

At waterfall screen jump up during egg-pterodactyls-transformation, besides use different timbers to climb up, + intensive lag reduction during pterodactyl flight. Hit the big pink dino-rhinoceros to force him destroy the wall earlier. At boss fight manipulate Kermit the Frog to drop necklace righter to the exit.

Swimming Pool

Take a big breath. Physics of swimming with long acceleration/deceleration cruelly to optimise in some places, especially with lags. Besides general optimisation everywhere, in 2-4 manipulate second column to open at the same time with first and skip sweet piece of waiting. Manipulate boss to avoid using whirls type of attack, allow him to use only falling shells.

Desert Drive

Autoscroller, nothing special to say. At screen with trampolines preferred lower path and reduce several of lags. Unlike all others levels it almost have no lags, actually now only single lag is left. Damage «car» just for fun.

Dino Express

Another autoscroller... sorry about it. But there is sweet trick - use deaths at checkpoints to break autoscroll limit: after resurrection Fred appear in the middle of screen, so the right boundary of train became farther than it should. Keep second egg until Boss fight, well, egg have lot of additional lags as unpleasant side-effects, but nevertheless in total it is faster. Jumping rocks damage have 4-HP, so they should never be used to harm bird, only the most powerful 5-HP attacks.

Fire Rock

Intensive lag reduction during pterodactyl flight. At 5-3 -> 5-4 transition used bonus level as small shortcut. Just before boss there giant bones which are drowning in lava (not confuse with falling bones), by one tricky jump Fred avoid triggering start of their drowning, as you already guessed - it saved lots of lags. Collected three Power Ups to get the most powerful heavy cudgel ever possessed by man in stone age era. Help to the last fire-breathing dragon to extinct. Last hip while dragon stand on the ground so fall down less distance while dying (very classic trick from Darkwing Duck or/and Chip and Dale TASes).

Hard Rock

Almost nothing special about level itself, just small optimisations here and there. Only final boss is tricky, because of all Power Up are disappear. So it's time to use head instead of brute force. Three "long" 5-HP charging are obviously during which transformation. And also one during lightning phase phase. 60= 5+4+4+4+4+5+4+4+4+5+5+4+4+4. Last hit in point to be able finish input earlier and get hat without extra input.

Possible improvements

• Lag reduction can be done yet a little bit further.
  • Most likely better patterns of falling shells are can be found at underwater boss.

Special thanks

• At first i want to say thanks to khv-user for his submission.
  • To XYZ, TheRandomPie_IV and HHS for their test-movies.
  • Hanna-Barbera Productions, Inc.
Someday, maybe Fred will win the fight
Then the cat will stay out for the night
When you’re with the Flintstones
Have a yabba dabba doo time

P.S. Egg-keeper challenge

In Fire Rock level try to keep egg to far as you can. It can turn to be surprisingly fun/tricky.

Suggested screenshots

2858, 4611, 13731, 16935, 20628, 24566, 37296, 43491, 45577, 49829, 56814, 60685.

ars4326: Judging!
ars4326: Hi, Archanfel. Very good time savings made over khv-user's past submissions! The efforts made in lag reduction, especially, made a difference. And even though the auto-scroll stages were slower paced, they ended up having some entertaining moments here and there (e.g. getting nudged out-of-bounds, Fred Flintstone's movement choreography). Overall, nice job on improving this one!
Accepting for publication to the Vault!
feos: publishing

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4829: Archanfel's Genesis The Flintstones in 17:05.99
Skilled player (1706)
This was posted before, but:
Mukki wrote:
The idea that prolonged boss battles alone provide a good enough reason to avoid the highest difficulty is absurd. Most, if not all, harder difficulty levels in gaming are so because of either stronger enemies or weaker attacks
In other words, the entire point of it. I never played this game, so can someone please explain why normal difficulty would severely boost the entertainment value of this game? I asked about the difference in terms of time for the 2 difficulties, but I don't recall seeing an answer for it ever.
Skilled player (1436)
I not agree with Mukki decision. Khv-user did everything right and there were no reasons to reject his run. P.S. By lucky accident, currently in workbench there is another non-hard-difficulty TAS. The reasons of difficulty choice approximately the same as my.
I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Current projects: NES: Tetris "fastest 999999" (improvement, with r57shell) Genesis: Adventures of Batman & Robin (with Truncated); Pocahontas; Comix Zone (improvement); Mickey Mania (improvement); RoboCop versus The Terminator (improvement); Gargoyles (with feos)
Skilled player (1706)
Archanfel wrote:
I not agree with Mukki decision. Khv-user did everything right and there were no reasons to reject his run. P.S. By lucky accident, currently in workbench there is another non-hard-difficulty TAS. The reasons of difficulty choice approximately the same as my.
Thanks! I never knew that. Also:
The first thing that should be addressed is the use of Easy difficulty. Changing the difficulty reduces enemy HP and how many enemies spawn. It does NOT change anything else. So Easy mode is chosen for speed purposes
That's not the same reason as yours; that's an even more extreme case. >.<
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
Where a game has multiple difficulty levels, it is preferred to play on the hardest difficulty level (for more interesting gameplay) unless the only difference between difficulty levels is enemy/boss hit points, in which case the easiest difficulty levels are preferred in the interest of speed.
From the Guidelines page. I don't know the game either, but if boss HP is the only difference then I see no reason to change the difficulty. Even if it just shaves off a few seconds of hitting bosses, that's a few seconds saved in a run that would otherwise look exactly the same.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
XYZ
Former player
So some thoughts after watching. *Great shortcuts through the ice and through the death of a character and bonuses. *Rhino passed beautifully and I think screenshot with him is best for publication screenshot. About difficulty: my friend in childhood, playing this game, even didn't know that you can change the difficulty, and keypad assignment. Later, when I passed this game on the emulator on easy and surprised him by saying that there are only three levels. Now after seeing the movie I remembered about this case) Is it you? I think it solid run and Hard don't give more to entertainment. Yes vote.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
Why'd you not use Easy mode? I admittedly don't remember if this game has one or not, but my post in khv user's run says it does, so I must trust myself. Also, this game is real dull.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
XYZ
Former player
NitroGenesis, in Easy mode only 3 levels without true ending.
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
Ah ok.
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2954] Genesis The Flintstones by Archanfel in 17:05.99
XYZ
Former player
Archanfel, in submission's text mistake: I thought that Fred find daughter Pebbles is Desert drive level not son?
Skilled player (1436)
XYZ wrote:
Archanfel, in submission's text mistake: I thought that Fred find daughter Pebbles is Desert drive level not son?
Yeah, you're right it's his daughter Pebbles indeed.
I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Current projects: NES: Tetris "fastest 999999" (improvement, with r57shell) Genesis: Adventures of Batman & Robin (with Truncated); Pocahontas; Comix Zone (improvement); Mickey Mania (improvement); RoboCop versus The Terminator (improvement); Gargoyles (with feos)