(Link to video)

Notices

Play the movie as soon as the game started, or it will desync.
To use some locked Pokemons, this movie is recorded from reset. Verification movie

Game Objectives

• VBA-RR v23.5 svn421
  • Starts from SRAM
  • Plays on hardest difficulty
  • Manipulates luck

Outline

• Aims to beat all opponents on VS COM (Challenge in Eng ver) mode. Hardest difficulty V-HARD (INTENSE in Eng ver) appears when Select + A pressed in level selecting.
  • In this game, it needs to make opponents' lifepoint to 0 to beat the level.
  • First of all, I go to Options and enable "Exploding Lift". It enables me to lift panels whether explosions are occurring. (Only GBx Tetris Attacks has this option)
  • Selects different Pokemons because using same pokemon all through is boring. It effects nothing on game. Changing costs every 1 frame.

Strategy

Large Combos inflicts significant damages, just equal to that of 20 Chains. (looks this isn't a glitch) But 27 or more Combos earn only equal damage to that of 26 (21 or more Chains do also), so I use 26~28 Combos. Because a 26 Combo can't make any opponent's life to 0, some Chains are put. The Chains need to become bigger as game proceeds naturally, and exceptionally in level 11, puts a Combo because Hitmontop have most lifepoints (than Murkrow and Dragonite) and putting Combo is faster than Chain. Combos can inflict damages immediately because numbers of Combos are decided when the Combos occured, therefore I can defeat opponents quickly.

ars4326: Updated movie file. Previous time: 05:12.49 (18664 frames). Current time: 05:11.62 (18612 frames).
ars4326: Judging!
ars4326: Hello, zvsp. This was a very fun watch in seeing massive combos chaining together to take out the opposition, in mere seconds. Switching things up with different Pokemon was a nice added touch, also. Well done!
Accepting for publication to Moons!
fsvgm777: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4837: zvsp's GBC Pokémon Puzzle Challenge in 05:11.62
Editor, Expert player (2001)
I am quite confused. The encode you provided is almost a year old. What was the delay for the submission? Withholding judgement until this is clarified.
effort on the first draft means less effort on any draft thereafter - some loser
Experienced player (765)
Simply because I'm lazy about submitting. If the delay is enough reason, please reject.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
More appropriate ending input: User movie #25449439461793722
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Experienced player (630)
OOOOOOHHHHH YYYIIIIIIISSSSSS.... A Pokemon Puzzle Challenge submission at last!! I'm so excited!!!
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony
Experienced player (765)
Thanks for that optimization and replacement. I missed it.
d-feather
He/Him
Insane run! Yes vote.
:shrug: I'm more active on Twitter nowadays: @HunterCoates5
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Nice run! Some fast Panel de Pon action. Yes vote! Another game to cross off of MESHUGGAH's SDARuns page too. You beat that speedrun by over 10 minutes!
Invariel
He/Him
Editor, Site Developer, Player (169)
Do Togepi and the other three start unlocked in the Japanese version? I am pretty sure they start as eggs in the English version.
I am still the wizard that did it. "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -- Satoru Iwata <scrimpy> at least I now know where every map, energy and save room in this game is
Editor, Player (68)
zvsp wrote:
Simply because I'm lazy about submitting. If the delay is enough reason, please reject.
Nah, never, he just wanted to make sure the movie was the correct one and not stale.
true on twitch - lsnes windows builds 20230425 - the date this site is buried
Experienced player (765)
Invariel wrote:
Do Togepi and the other three start unlocked in the Japanese version? I am pretty sure they start as eggs in the English version.
Babies from three eggs you said can only be used in other Mode. Togepi and other Pokemons are presents from trainers. The eggs aren't hatched at all.
True wrote:
zvsp wrote:
Nah, never, he just wanted to make sure the movie was the correct one and not stale.
Actually, have that reason too, and additionally, I wanted some more people to watch this TAS because this is another approach compared with other Tetris Attack TASes, at last. Anyway, thanks much for comments, and accepting so soon.
Invariel
He/Him
Editor, Site Developer, Player (169)
I somehow managed to repeatedly miss the part where you mentioned starting from SRAM. Very very sorry, zvsp. Edit: That does, however, raise the question of why you are starting from SRAM instead of using the starting 'mons throughout the game. 'Mon choice doesn't affect the rest of the game, does it?
I am still the wizard that did it. "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -- Satoru Iwata <scrimpy> at least I now know where every map, energy and save room in this game is
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2958] GBC Pokémon Puzzle Challenge by zvsp in 05:11.62
Experienced player (765)
Invariel wrote:
Edit: That does, however, raise the question of why you are starting from SRAM instead of using the starting 'mons throughout the game. 'Mon choice doesn't affect the rest of the game, does it?
Selects different Pokemons because using same pokemon all through is boring. It effects nothing on game. Changing costs every 1 frame.
And, originally, I started this TAS without thinking about submitting, so I did as I wanted.
This was not directly expressed prior to publication, but as a future reference to those who may question why this movie starts from SRAM, the speed at which the first stage is completed and the size of the chains and combos done would trigger a bonus battle to unlock one of the Pokes. This movie more accurately represents what real-time runners of this game would do, though the large combos done here would be far too unreasonable to expect in real time. As an aside, for those who don't know, I did the run of this game that was published on SDA.
I have the tendency to post a few too many Kappas.