PIKACHU

Game objectives

• Emulator used: BizHawk 1.6.1 & BizHawk 1.11.1
  • Takes damage to save time
  • Uses easiest difficulty (i'm not gonna bother clearing that up again)
  • Heavy glitch abuse
  • Major skip glitch..?
  • Unofficial game
  • Genre: Platform

Comments

This is a 6 second improvement over my previous TAS (without ending input early). The reason I didn't ended it was because I focused on beating the game on RTA timing, which means that the time ends once I land the final hit on Koffing, thus doing more input.

Stage by stage comments

Most of the improvements come from the early landing trick and further optimization, meaning there's not so much to talk about. I found out you can do a pixel boost in walls, which saves few frames, and the pokeballs now have much more uses than expected.

Other comments

Special Thanks to Nach for suggesting the improvements with the landing tricks, and Spikestuff for his help with the RAM addresses and the overall TAS.

Suggested screenshot

dunno a really good one really... maybe something similar to the screenshot from the first sub of the game.
Thank you for watching!

Noxxa: Judging.
Noxxa: Viewer response to the run was mixed. Optimization-wise, the run looked decent enough this time around. Accepting for the Vault.
Regarding the "improvement" in the thread: how to end a movie is a stylistical choice. Earliest input end may be preferred by some, but is definitely not required, especially if it actually makes the final boss battle (and game end) slower. The way this run does it, clearing the game as fast as possible and ending input on the last boss hit, is a perfectly valid way of ending the run. Do not call the short-input route an "improvement" or "fix".
Spikestuff: Publishing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4845: dekutony's Genesis Pocket Monster II in 03:55.75
Active player (434)
im glad ur finishing more and more projects,will wait for encode
TAS i'm interested: megaman series: mmbn1 all chips, mmx3 any% psx glitched fighting games with speed goals in general
Skilled player (1436)
Slow simple uninteresting unlicensed game. Entertainment value is exist, but it is so small that it is approximately equal just watching this static picture: Meh vote. Besides, i prefer when input is finished as soon as possible.
I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Current projects: NES: Tetris "fastest 999999" (improvement, with r57shell) Genesis: Adventures of Batman & Robin (with Truncated); Pocahontas; Comix Zone (improvement); Mickey Mania (improvement); RoboCop versus The Terminator (improvement); Gargoyles (with feos)
Experienced player (630)
crappy encode for viewing pleasure Link to video
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony
NitroGenesis
He/Him
Editor, Experienced player (551)
This game has some real good music. Anyway, this TAS looks pretty good, and has some nice glitch abuse that sets it apart from other generic platformer TASes. I'll give it a yes vote. I should note that trying to play the TAS back in the emulator caused it to crash. I think there might be an issue with the emulator version used to record the run?
YoungJ1997lol wrote:
Normally i would say Yes, but thennI thought "its not the same hack" so ill stick with meh.
Experienced player (630)
NitroGenesis wrote:
I should note that trying to play the TAS back in the emulator caused it to crash. I think there might be an issue with the emulator version used to record the run?
Weird, it syncs to me just fine... are you using the right dump of the game, right?
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
Just watched the encode and I have to say: Nice work! It looks a lot smoother than your last submission of this game, which already looked pretty smooth to me. As for the crash: Turns out the game crashes when BizHawk is set to use 6-button controllers. The BK2's sync settings JSON was blank, so I imported one from a new movie, set the 6 button setting to False, and it worked perfectly. User movie #25631122298990476
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Nice going. The damage boost skips look a lot cleaner. It's a shame the Koffing fight takes so long though; could you use any Pokeballs to make that fight more interesting? (I noticed you didn't go into the fight with any, since you had taken damage.) The game is still fairly Meh after a while, but it has its nifty points. I don't understand why that made it so Pikachu moves faster to the left though.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
NitroGenesis wrote:
This game has some real good music.
As soon as I heard level 2's / last boss' music it instantly hit me, that is a Genesis remix of the song used in the original animutation http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/18702 Hyakugojyuuichi! (put spoiler since idk about how links to other websites are allowed on here yet so that seems ideal for being unsure even if it attracts more attention as a result of the big black box.) It is common knowledge that these pirated games / hacks use stolen music but I really didn't expect this at all! Still reeling from the amazed laughter. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since the song is likely from the country it was made in but I still can't get over the fact it is the song that was used to start that ridiculous trend. It was always one of my favourite memes and to hear a genesis remix of it is absolutely brilliantly funny, more so than the animation itself. Well I can't help but now vote this a definite yes for entertainment sake due to that alone. But also since it is a good run.
Enjoys speedruns but hasn't actually tried making any yet.
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2292)
Bye: User movie #25661791897998014 Probably improvable, I don't know, I don't care. Edit: I should point something out in the original file. It says "pocketmonsterv2-Spiked.bkm.bk2" this was from a userfile from the other TAS. I don't know why the Spiked version of 1.6.1 was used considering the fact that Kura planned to restart and got around doing it in the past month. But it seems to be a clean up of all the mistakes with the original input using 1.11.1 and it is basically not "Spiked" as the input was killed way earlier at the final fight.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Experienced player (630)
I'll leave the judges to choose what input should be the best for this movie, I don't really care about their decision regarding that really. Thanks for the fix anyways. (although i prefer game end early for this game instead of input end early... the boss battle is long as it is.)
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2965] Genesis Pocket Monster II by dekutony in 03:55.75