• Hardest difficulty
  • Takes damage
  • Uses glitches (dialogue box skips)
Garfield and His Nine Lives is a decent Game Boy Advance platformer. It's fairly short and not all that challenging, but it's got a really good soundtrack (probably one of my favorites on the GBA) and colorful visuals. I'm surprised nobody has touched it before.

Behind the Music

So one day a few months ago I decide to livestream myself playing this game. The chat all laughs at me because I suck ass. Like, literally, I was dying every other second. Even though this was basically the final word on my baseline awfulness at video games, I decided to try to become as good as possible at this game to show everyone. Eventually, that led to me streaming myself speedrunning the game. Someone in the room suggested I try making a TAS of the game. I had heard of TAS but had no idea how to make one. Regardless of that, I followed his advice, and picked up a TASing emulator and had at it. It was pretty grueling, but the end result was worth it.

Bugs

There a few bugs in this game - here's one I recorded: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORFhYjqm1NE - but they're pretty useless. The dialogue skip is the only good one I found for a TAS. At the start of each level, there are triggers that bring up slow dialogue boxes. By jumping and kicking while landing, there exists a one frame window where you can jump again without triggering the dialogue box. In some levels you're able to jump again even without kicking, haven't found out why. In Obedience Class, the window for the dialogue trigger is so small that you can simply just jump over it.
If you hold left+right, Garfield will jump slowly to the right while facing backwards. This is used for entertainment during the final boss.

Comments on the Levels

I'll probably add annotations to the YT video soon enough to explain key things.

Arbuckle Farms

You have to pick up all the eggs. Simple enough. You get to see me use jumpkicks to decrease jump height, a big trick used frequently throughout the run.

Haunted House

This is the only level where skipping the dialogue box at the beginning is impossible. You can't trigger the exit without also triggering the dialogue box. It's sad, but at least it's just one level. We take an alternate route here to save time.

Circus

A simple level. The jump kick at the beginning is to avoid triggering the text box. Lag reduction is key here. Dodging the monkeys is easy, but I take damage from a thrown pie near the end to bypass one that I would have had to go out of my way to kill. Near the end of the level, you see me stutter while hopping over some flaming hoops. The reason is because you have to land in a very teeny-tiny area to avoid being bounced up high by the trampolines, which wastes time.

Spiders in the Sewers

This is a very easy level. Sometimes I avoid jumping off ledges in favor of walking off; while this appears slower, it's actually faster because the ledges I walk off have rats in bad positions that would make jumping slower. The mid-air kick that seems useless near the end is actually to make Garfield avoid grabbing the ladder; he can't grab those when he's attacking.

Up a Tree

It is possible to skip the dialogue box here; however, it's slower. The jumps required would end up making me bump into the tree for quite a few frames, and since it's only one text box, it's faster to just close it immediately. Near the end, I use jumpkicks to shorten my climbing time.

Alley Cat

A very linear level. It's entirely walking right. The boss doesn't look great, but it's actually the only way to beat him quickly. Normally, you're supposed to wait until he jumps up in the air before you can hit him, which takes a really long time. However, by going kamikaze on his ass you can damage him and kill him just before dying.

Obedience Class

Not a whole lot of obedience here... just going around rescuing cats and dodging dogs. There are a few routes to this level... testing shown mine was the fastest by a good ten seconds.

Dr. Dupes and the Odie Clones

There are only a few pixels that Garfield can stand on to avoid being damaged by all those mousetraps. The waiting out the steam might raise some questions, but the steam cycle can't be manipulated, so we just have to wait.

Kitchen Cat-astrophe

A bit lame for a final level, no? Odie Clones would've been better. The final boss is on a set timer, so we just have to dick around until we can beat him. Woohoo, 10:11.

Special Thanks

in no real order: pkkao, JAY LENO, RobynS, got4n, emu, goofydylan8, halodude862

Samsara: I'd say I hate Mondays, but I'd prefer to say something more Nermal. Judging~
Samsara: Replaced the movie file with a 226 frame faster version.
Previous Framecount: 36528 (10:11.58) | New Framecount: 36302 (10:07.79)
Samsara: This was quite a nice run overall! The submission text was very helpful in clearing up some of the questions I had while watching, and it's clear you put in a lot of time and effort into not just the TAS, but understanding the game itself.
Voter/thread feedback is positive, and the run is technically sound. Great job on your first TAS! Accepting to Moon(day)s!
fsvgm777: Processing.

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This topic is for the purpose of discussing #4854: tormented's GBA Garfield and His Nine Lives in 10:07.79
tormented
He/Him
Editor, Player (222)
MY first TAS! Is there anything else I need to do? Tried following the submission texts of other recent movies, but there wasn't much else to write about...
Lex
Your submission info says "Uses glitches", but it doesn't say anything about them.
tormented
He/Him
Editor, Player (222)
Lex wrote:
Your submission info says "Uses glitches", but it doesn't say anything about them.
It's just the dialogue skips. There are a few other glitches I found that aren't useful: Link to video
Lex
tormented wrote:
Lex wrote:
It's just the dialogue skips.
What dialogue skips, and how were they performed? TAS viewers are interested in this information.
tormented
He/Him
Editor, Player (222)
Edited my submission text.
Lex
Thanks! :)
Skilled player (1404)
Slightly disappointed that at no point do you get to beat up an old lady as the level boss. Also disappointed that I can't find a collection of those strips that keeps the last two pages as one image.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
Lex
Ferret Warlord wrote:
Slightly disappointed that at no point do you get to beat up an old lady as the level boss. Also disappointed that I can't find a collection of those strips that keeps the last two pages as one image.
I looked that comic over twice and couldn't understand it. "Tigger" is from Winnie the Pooh. Garfield's owner is John, a man, not an old lady who calls herself "Maw Maw". The cat in that comic has striping like Garfield, but that's the only related element. I'm so confused. Why are you disappointed?
Skilled player (1404)
It's a story found in a comic collection called Garfield: His 9 Lives. For whatever reason Jim Davis thought it okay to include that story, called "Primal Self", which ended up mentally scarring countless children back in the day. In short, it's totally relevant. And hopefully funnier to the less confused.
A hundred years from now, they will gaze upon my work and marvel at my skills but never know my name. And that will be good enough for me.
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Ferret Warlord: I remember that book a little! I had forgotten about that one story with the old lady. If you want to see a boss fight against a little old lady, check out Stage 1 of The Mask. I am a little disappointed that the stages in this game don't incorporate more stories from that book Ferret mentions though. You could be a viking, or a mafia member, or a cat in space! However, this game moves pretty fluidly and seems to have good variety. I don't see any point in all the collectible items though, and the boss fights were good. I have a few technical questions: * Could you beat that big cat boss (the one with the kamikaze strategy) in a way so Garfield ends up further on the right? It seems like Arlene takes more time to walk to Garfield after the fight if he's on the left. * In the following stage when you save cats in cages, could you instead kill more dogs with jump kicks instead of jumping over them? You have to jump for the dogs anyway, and if you kill the dog, it won't be around to jump over on a return trip and won't produce more lag. (In fact, I could suggest that you one-hit-kill more enemies in the whole run, but this stage stands out because you keep doubling back over parts of the route.) * Against the final boss, does it hurt it at all to jump kick the top freezer door? Since that seems to be a place where you get your health refilled, I'm curious if it's worth taking any damage yourself to score more hits on the boss. * And on a related note, if you don't hit back the food items right away, do more food items come out at a faster rate? (Sort of like the strategy that Super Mario World runs now have with the final Bowser fight, where they don't use both Mechakoopas right away) Anyway, this looks like a pretty good first run! Good job working your way up from being shoddy at a game to developing some speedruns!
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
tormented
He/Him
Editor, Player (222)
mklip2001 wrote:
I have a few technical questions: * Could you beat that big cat boss (the one with the kamikaze strategy) in a way so Garfield ends up further on the right? It seems like Arlene takes more time to walk to Garfield after the fight if he's on the left.
No :( Sadly beating the boss is programmed to bump you to the far left. (If you beat him on the left side, you get bumped to the far right, and Arlene comes in from the left.)
* In the following stage when you save cats in cages, could you instead kill more dogs with jump kicks instead of jumping over them? You have to jump for the dogs anyway, and if you kill the dog, it won't be around to jump over on a return trip and won't produce more lag. (In fact, I could suggest that you one-hit-kill more enemies in the whole run, but this stage stands out because you keep doubling back over parts of the route.)
I think you're on to something here. I'll have a look!
* Against the final boss, does it hurt it at all to jump kick the top freezer door? Since that seems to be a place where you get your health refilled, I'm curious if it's worth taking any damage yourself to score more hits on the boss.
Unfortunately, the hitbox for the fridge is rather big. As you can see at the start of the fight, there are a ton of tentacles, and although hitting the fridge with food does AWAY with these tentacles, their hitbox never vanishes.
* And on a related note, if you don't hit back the food items right away, do more food items come out at a faster rate? (Sort of like the strategy that Super Mario World runs now have with the final Bowser fight, where they don't use both Mechakoopas right away)
No. If you don't hit the food, it'll just go away, and then the fridge attacks you again.
Anyway, this looks like a pretty good first run! Good job working your way up from being shoddy at a game to developing some speedruns!
Thanks for the feedback!
Editor, Experienced player (608)
Classic Garfield! Collecting food, beating up dogs and using his weight to bust through stuff. I probably would've enjoyed having this game when I was younger. Thanks for making this TAS, it seems like a game that needed one.
I noticed something. Does Garfield move faster when he's on the ground? In Mega Man 2, Mega Man moves slower when he is jumping, but only by 1 frame every some-large-amount of frames. But here it looks like Garfield is moving quite a bit faster when on the ground, unless my eyes are deceiving me. I don't see this TAS staying on the ground for as long as possible before jumping (but I could be wrong here, too).
<^>v AB X LR s
Player (96)
on video, 4:11 why he hitting brick that stops him in air?
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Hello tormented, have you been able to look into any changes to the run based on the comments here? You mentioned you'd be curious about a run through the cages level that kills more dogs. If you can fix up that part by hex-editing, you can get the submission's movie file changed without having to redo the whole submission.
Used to be a frequent submissions commenter. My new computer has had some issues running emulators, so I've been here more sporadically. Still haven't gotten around to actually TASing yet... I was going to improve Kid Dracula for GB. It seems I was beaten to it, though, with a recent awesome run by Hetfield90 and StarvinStruthers. (http://tasvideos.org/2928M.html.) Thanks to goofydylan8 for running Gargoyle's Quest 2 because I mentioned the game! (http://tasvideos.org/2001M.html) Thanks to feos and MESHUGGAH for taking up runs of Duck Tales 2 because of my old signature! Thanks also to Samsara for finishing a Treasure Master run. From the submission comments:
Shoutouts and thanks to mklip2001 for arguably being the nicest and most supportive person on the forums.
tormented
He/Him
Editor, Player (222)
I'm alive. Going to look at the improvements soon. By the way, Garfield does not move any slower in the air, and the jump at 4:11 that hits a brick is simply because you have to jump to avoid the text box.
Samsara
She/They
Senior Judge, Site Admin, Expert player (2121)
tormented wrote:
I'm alive. Going to look at the improvements soon.
Hi there, tormented. I'll be handling judging your submission. Should you find any improvements, post the updated movie file here and I'll get right to judging! If you don't think you'll finish soon, I can set the submission to Delayed in the meantime.
TASvideos Admin and acting Senior Judge 💙 | Cohost
warmCabin wrote:
You shouldn't need a degree in computer science to get into this hobby.
tormented
He/Him
Editor, Player (222)
226 frame improvement here http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/25938947932143847 Go Samsara
tormented
He/Him
Editor, Player (222)
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Congrats, tormented! I'm trying to check out the improvement in the emulator (since a new video didn't get made yet), but somehow my installation of BizHawk can't find the GBA core files. I'm not sure why they didn't get set up automatically.
Post subject: Movie published
TASVideoAgent
They/Them
This movie has been published. The posts before this message apply to the submission, and posts after this message apply to the published movie. ---- [2972] GBA Garfield and His Nine Lives by tormented in 10:07.79
mklip2001
He/Him
Editor
Out of curiosity, what were the improvements? The stage with the cats in cages does look faster, but it didn't seem like it was almost 4 seconds faster... did you pull off any faster hits on the fridge boss?
tormented
He/Him
Editor, Player (222)
mklip2001 wrote:
Out of curiosity, what were the improvements? The stage with the cats in cages does look faster, but it didn't seem like it was almost 4 seconds faster... did you pull off any faster hits on the fridge boss?
Obedience level accounts for roughly one half of the improvement. Other improvements: killing the Odie clones to avoid having to jump over them twice, and climbing the stairs quicker in the kitchen. Looked over the other levels but found nothing.
PCachu
He/Him
That edited comic may well be the best endzone dance ever. Of all time.