(Link to video)
Submission Text Full Submission Page
Sugar, flowers, and crappy gameplay. These are the ideal ingredients to create the perfect shitty fighting game.

Game objectives

• Emulator used: BizHawk 1.11.3
  • Manipulates AI
  • Manipulates luck
  • Aims for fastest time
  • Uses hardest difficulty
  • Abuses many programming errors in the game
  • Genre: Fighting

Comments

This is a Powerpuff Girls game for the Nintendo 64. It is a fighting game, and a really, really bad one at that, competing with Superman 64 for worst game on the console. Basically, this is a broken game. The story mode is a joke, and the characters are all the same, possibly excluding special moves. The gameplay is extremely repetitive, the hit detection is awful (which is abused heavily in the run) and THAT music loop that annoys you so much. It doesn't matter what character you use, or what control layout you use (honestly the analogue stick is worse to control in this game), it only relies on spamming jump kicks in the end, which is what this game is all about.
The D-pad is used in this run because it's surprisingly more responsive and easier to use than the analogue stick, which is not recommended at all for this game, since it's broken... literally, you can't use it properly since the up and right doesn't even work, it's not an emulator issue or anything, that's quite literally how it was programmed... yeah, this game sucks that bad.
There's absolutely no difference between each story, nor any character difference between all 3 girls, so Blossom is used since it's my first choice.
This run heavily abuses a jump kick move (aka. a large exploit) which involves using Z+A. You can do this move while hitting opponents continually, killing them in a matter of seconds. Ironically, this move is also the fastest way to move around.
I originally wanted to make a 100% run with all 3 stories to defeat HIM, but after thinking it over, I realized that goal was a bit too arbitrary. You're technically doing Blossom's story 2 more times, just to get an extra battle, and so that goal in itself being worthless if the stories are all the exact same, and after beating HIM, there's no credits... that basically wastes my and the viewers time... even more.

Stage by stage comments

1st Fight

Since the hit detection is so bad, when I jump to the desk I have to delay my jump to hit the kick on the ground instead of the desk or falling slower. I also got to delay a jump kick for approx. 10 frames to avoid getting hit, since getting hit is much slower when maintaining the combo momentum.

2nd Fight

Same as the first fight, with a stage reskin and different object placement. Nothing more to say about it.

3rd Fight

This required a different strategy. That girl always grabs that toy box at you, no matter what you do. The only way I found to avoid getting hit by the toy box that was faster, it was by throwing a chair at her at a specific angle, letting me hit her early because she dropped the box. Since the damage taken by the chair is different from a regular jump kick, I do an instant punch as the last hit after the final jump kick.

4th Fight

This guy is more of a coward than anything. He runs all over the place, so manipulating his movement was a bit harder. He also tries to hit you more than usual, and that with the running around forces me to delay more often than usual.

5th Fight

This guy's strategy is to immediately run away from you, however, thanks to the jump kicking strats I hit him and manage to corner him. He also tries to hit you more often than usual, but thanks to my angles on hitting him, it doesn't slow me down, regardless he damages me.

Mojo Fight

Mojo pulls the same strat off as the third fight, trying to throw an object at you. Actually manipulating him was a bit more difficult, since he either can jump, punch you or defend his hitbox by grabbing other objects. Luckily, after some trial and error, I managed to improve few frames from my previous TAS.

Other comments

Special Thanks to grassini, andypanther and CoolKirby for posting in the thread, and making me think about the goal choice.

Suggested Screenshot

Thanks for watching! Hopefully you survived this mess of a game.

ars4326: Judging!

TASVideoAgent
They/Them
Former player
Can somebody provide an encode of this run?
Editor, Experienced player (608)
I'll make an encode. Encode posted to the submission text. Well, that was short and fast. I thought it was also pretty funny, partly because of how clunky the game is. I'm going with Meh, though bordering on Yes.
Editor
I'll give it a yes. If it had dragged on any longer, it might have been a different story, but it did enough to hold my attention for two minutes. Dun, dun, duh duh duh dun, dun...
Active player (434)
pretty short,vault it like it's hot
TAS i'm interested: megaman series: mmbn1 all chips, mmx3 any% psx glitched fighting games with speed goals in general
ventuz
He/Him
Player (123)
I never heard of this game, movie was boring with repeating same move. But at least it was short enough for me to see it getting beaten quickly at least. Meh vote, vault tier.
Editor, Skilled player (1409)
I managed to save 9 frames in the intro by selecting some stuff faster! Now I'll try to improve the fighting as well. Dekutony, let's to co-op on this?
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVoUfT49xN9TU-gDMHv57sw Projects: SMW 96 exit. SDW any%, with Amaraticando. SMA2 SMW small only Kaizo Mario World 3
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
BrunoVisnadi wrote:
save(d) 9 frames in the intro by selecting some stuff faster.
Creation/Link to a userfile of showing how you did this would be nice.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Former player
CoolKirby wrote:
Encode posted to the submission text.
Thank you! :)
Spikestuff wrote:
BrunoVisnadi wrote:
save(d) 9 frames in the intro by selecting some stuff faster.
Creation/Link to a userfile of showing how you did this would be nice.
Okay, here it is: http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/26596645810766952
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVoUfT49xN9TU-gDMHv57sw Projects: SMW 96 exit. SDW any%, with Amaraticando. SMA2 SMW small only Kaizo Mario World 3
Spikestuff
They/Them
Editor, Publisher, Expert player (2283)
It's 7 frames, not 9, I have no idea where you got the extra 2 from. Has spliced the input into the older one, which is why he wrote 7, causes a desync so will not be providing it. I wished your input did not look like that, it doesn't look great, and it's just random mashing, when you can just have a single press for each time. Thankfully (sarcasm) BizHawk crashes on this game when using TAStudio.
WebNations/Sabih wrote:
+fsvgm777 never censoring anything.
Disables Comments and Ratings for the YouTube account. Something better for yourself and also others.
Spikestuff wrote:
It's 7 frames, not 9, I have no idea where you got the extra 2 from. Has spliced the input into the older one, which is why he wrote 7, causes a desync so will not be providing it. I wished your input did not look like that, it doesn't not look great, and it's just random mashing, when you can just have a single press for each time. Thankfully (sarcasm) BizHawk crashes on this game when using TAStudio.
I suppose you mean the random mashing in the beginning. Sorry about that, but anyway that's not a problem since input can't affect anything there. If you are referring to the animation skipping, I do have to press the buttons that way, otherwise frames would be lost. Well, here it seems I saved 9 frames, I didn't understand what exactly the problem is.
I finished the first fight 211 frames ahead. I'll see if I can still improve it, and then I send the .bk2 wip.
Editor, Skilled player (1504)
BrunoVisnadi wrote:
[I didn't understand what exactly the problem is.
N64Hawk before v1.9.4 had 2 copied frames at power-on. That my caused the confusion.
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
People find improvements within a few days or a week or two of nearly all of your submissions. Perhaps it'd help to work a little more collaboratively or be more thorough in your checking to make sure things are in a good state before submitting.
Experienced player (630)
BrunoVisnadi wrote:
I managed to save 9 7 frames in the intro by selecting some stuff faster! Now I'll try to improve the fighting as well. Dekutony, let's to co-op on this?
Um... sure, why not. I really have nothing better to do so I guess that's allright. One question though, what did you do different on the first fight which saved that many frames?
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony
Kurabupengin wrote:
BrunoVisnadi wrote:
I managed to save 9 7 frames in the intro by selecting some stuff faster! Now I'll try to improve the fighting as well. Dekutony, let's to co-op on this?
Um... sure, why not. I really have nothing better to do so I guess that's allright. One question though, what did you do different on the first fight which saved that many frames?
See the movie: http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/26599028868454398 Now it is 219 frames faster. (Or maybe it is 217, I'm not really sure because of those 2 frames Bizhawk put in the beginning).
Have you seen the movie? I think it is still possible to save a few frames by using the analogical control. It's indeed really hard to use it in this game (especially for me, since I don't have a controller and I have to use TASTudio), but it allows you to move directly to the enemy if you press the right combination. Edit: still without analogical control, 224 frames saved (analogical seems to potentially save more 5 frames): http://tasvideos.org/userfiles/info/26622595336975652
Experienced player (630)
How are you using the analogue controls? Last time I checked, they didn't worked properly, both in BizHawk and Mupen.
Here, my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/dekutony
I'm using them in TASTudio. You can select for each frame a value to Ax, and a value to Ay, which are kinda of 'coordinates' to the analog control. You can select a value between -128 and 127, for both Ax and Ay. Edit: still without analog control, I've already saved 2 more frames. Let's try with analog control now.
Wow, this is sub-licensed game tier. If it weren't 3D I'd honestly think it was a pirate.
Editor, Skilled player (1504)
Kurabupengin wrote:
How are you using the analogue controls? Last time I checked, they didn't worked properly, both in BizHawk and Mupen.
Seems like the X axsis isn't allowed to be 127.
Favorite animal: STOCK Gt(ROSA)26Sortm1.1(rtTA,EGFP)Nagy Grm7Tg(SMN2)89Ahmb Smn1tm1Msd Tg(SMN2*delta7)4299Ahmb Tg(tetO-SMN2,-luc)#aAhmb/J YouTube Twitch
ars4326
He/Him
Experienced player (764)
Bruno, are you still ironing out improvements on this one?
"But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." - 1 Corinthians 2:9
ars4326 wrote:
Bruno, are you still ironing out improvements on this one?
I was, until 1 hour ago. Certainly every fight can be improved a lot. Now, however, the cooler of my notebook just stopped working, and it overheats and turns off in few seconds after turned on. I don't really know what to do - I'll try to open and clean it, and if it doesn't work I'll send it to be fixed. Until then, I have almost no way to TAS anything. The computer I'm using to write this message has a terrible keyboard which makes it impossible to TAS, and with the few hours I will have per week in a decent computer, I will rather focusing on SMW any%.
ars4326
He/Him
Experienced player (764)
BrunoVisnadi wrote:
I was, until 1 hour ago. Certainly every fight can be improved a lot. Now, however, the cooler of my notebook just stopped working, and it overheats and turns off in few seconds after turned on. I don't really know what to do - I'll try to open and clean it, and if it doesn't work I'll send it to be fixed. Until then, I have almost no way to TAS anything. The computer I'm using to write this message has a terrible keyboard which makes it impossible to TAS, and with the few hours I will have per week in a decent computer, I will rather focusing on SMW any%.
Ah, that's a shame, man. I hope you can get it fixed up soon. Well Kurabu, since this one has known improvements, do you want to go ahead and cancel this for now?
"But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him." - 1 Corinthians 2:9